Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VI

Which Goaler (besides Knight) would you want the Avs to draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There will still be some interesting players at the end of the first.

I like Jakob Pelletier, Nils Höglander, Albin Grewe, Moritz Seider, or Pavel Dorofeyev in that spot. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a few guys from that 12-20ish tier drop.

Now Dorofeyev I've become less & less interested in as the season has gone on. He seems like he has a real shot of becoming a capable 2nd liner, but almost no chance of becoming a difference maker. I guess if we win tomorrow he could be a fit, but definitely not a sexy one.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I like Jakob Pelletier, Nils Höglander, Albin Grewe, Moritz Seider, or Pavel Dorofeyev in that spot. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a few guys from that 12-20ish tier drop.
I would love Bjornfot if he is still there in the #28-31 spots. A Bjornfot -Makar pairing looks very interesting to me. M. Robertson and Kolyachonok would also be good in those spots. All very good options as LHD which is a need.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If we drop to 28, I'd pound the table for Marshall Warren. I think he has real top 4 upside as a smooth, calm, two-way middle pairing guy, and that would be a good pickup at the end of the 1st round.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hypothetical question, would you guys rather have Patrick + Hughes or Makar + 4th overall?

The way Makar is playing, he's looking like he could easily be worth a #1 overall pick. If anything, we got lucky by dropping and avoiding Patrick, and Hischier is a great player but he can't compare to Makar/Pettersson/Heiskanen moving forward.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hypothetical question, would you guys rather have Patrick + Hughes or Makar + 4th overall?

The way Makar is playing, he's looking like he could easily be worth a #1 overall pick. If anything, we got lucky by dropping and avoiding Patrick, and Hischier is a great player but he can't compare to Makar/Pettersson/Heiskanen moving forward.
Hughes and Makar are about equal to me. I’m very meh on Patrick and postionally I prefer a strong defense.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Having Mack makes this question a lot easier to answer: Makar + 4OA for me. However after seeing how easily Makar came into the NHL and how well he is doing in the playoffs after only a few games I have to say I would still pick him and the 4OA. #1D are so hard to find. I think that 4OA has potential to be better than Patrick as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If we drop to 28, I'd pound the table for Marshall Warren. I think he has real top 4 upside as a smooth, calm, two-way middle pairing guy, and that would be a good pickup at the end of the 1st round.
Warren is an interesting case, I was a huge fan of him entering into the draft. He then proceeded to have an absolutely terrible 1st half to the season. As an underager I was projecting him as a top 20 player. He began to feel comfortable and he started finding a groove and look more comfortable out there. He hasn't been perfect; his offence potential isn't as high as I though it was going to be, his defence has been off/on, his decision making is iffy at times, and he tends to try to force the play a bit too much akin to Tyson Barrie.

If there is a word that this draft is becoming more apparent each day, it is that there are lot of raw players which I would say Warren is one. Not talking about huge boom/bust potential, but a ton of players who need work to polish their skills and if they do this draft class can become a very good one perhaps even rivaling 2013). However, there is still a lot to like here with him such as his mobility, his ability to create offence, he's defencively sound for majority of the game, and can play either a risky game or a smooth safe game as well. I was going to label him Mark Pysyk 2.0 as a solid mid-pairing shutdown defender, but he has enough talent to be considered a more two-way guy. I see a bigger less intelligent version of Samuel Girard (which is still a solid player). Might be a better comparison out there, but I don't have the time to go and look.

With that said, I think I prefer to risk the chance of him falling to the 2nd round. If we're there at 28th, I think I am taking Bjornfot, Thomson, or Nikolayev instead. Ilya is an interesting player, super on the raw side, but some unbelievable flashes of skill/talent.
i like Grewe
Nikita Alexandrov.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I think the question should be rephrased to NJD vs AVs. Battle of 1st vs 4th OA picks.

Hischier + Hughes

Vs

Makar + 4th OA

The way Makar is playing, I wouldn’t be surprised he’s the best player on both drafts. Makar vs Hughes is close. Makar plays a tougher position and much bigger. Hughes is an offensive wonder, with high IQ and elite passing. Hischier is a smooth skating offensive player. 2-way Turcotte (assumed pick) is a close comparable.

However, quality of the team tips the balance. A better team with strong linemates could affect the player’s career.

Makar can partner with Zadorov, Cole or Girard. Combination of size and skill. Turcotte playing 2C with a nice combination of skilled wingers: Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Bowers, Kamenev or Kaut. They can rotate with the Mack line with Rants and Landy. NJD has a decent group: Hall, Palmieri, Bratt, Wood & McLeod.

It’s a debatable question, but believe they’re equal.

AVs have the better team with the player likely having a superior career.

Last edited:

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I like me some Simon Holmstrom.

High reward type winger. Had some injuries but would have been an early first before those.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

I’m not sure about these players. They all have exotic names.

Are there any big boys from Saskatchewan farms in that range?

Reactions: Nihiliste

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs win drops their pick to 28th, maybe package with the 2nd to move up a few spots into the low 20s to grab Knight? Picking a Goalie at 16 might be a risk, by low 20s would be perfect.

Reactions: LTC Pain

coloradotim

Nov 5, 2017
I learned from this thread that if the Avs win tonight they pick 28th or worse. If the Avs lose tonight what's our draft position?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I wonder if we lose tonight, just for the universe's sake of keeping patterns intact when it comes to our 1st round picks.

2015: 10th OA
2016: 10th OA
2017: 4th OA
2018: 16th OA
2019: 4th OA + 16 OA??

Watch for some freaky bounces and Tim Peel sneaking onto the ice

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Grewe plays like one of those farm boys.
We just need to swap the inch and feet numbers when talking about him! Joke aside... he's as gritty as they come. Not sure of the overall talent level, but compete and energy are there.

Alexandrov is a guy I really, really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad