Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VI

Which Goaler (besides Knight) would you want the Avs to draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
Hi,
As European , it is hard to follow, what kind of players from over the sea, are eligible for the 2019 draft.
Due the time difference and limited time overall, trying to follow NHL is enough :))

So can please some one, who knows those players.. tell me..

What kind of player is:

1. Bowen Byram - another Cale Makar , smoothly skating etc?
Do we use #4 pick for another D-man like that? That case Avs will trade Barrie for sure.
Or what kind of D-man he is?

2. Difference between Alex Turcotte and Dylan Cozens?
Are both playmakers, are one TWF like Jonathan Toews, Barkov etc..
Potential for 1C , 2C or what?

3. Cole Caufield
USPD 64 games, 72 goals
WJC-18 7 games , 14 goals

How this man is Not in top 10 ranking?

I have never see a game from him but man those stats :)
I can see his is small but so is Alex DeBrincat.
Why Caufield is Not going higher, if example Avs need 2nd scoring? Or are Centers just always going first?

I would really appreciate if some one could add their comments.

Thanks !

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
3. Cole Caufield
USPD 64 games, 72 goals

Why Caufield is Not going higher, if example Avs need 2nd scoring? Or are Centers just always going first?

Thanks !

Regardless of how he has been lighting it up lately many GM's wont be able to overlook his size in regards to a top 10 pick, and that's just how it is. I would be hesitant to pick a small scorer with anything in the top 8 this draft with how good some of the talent in the 4-8 range is. I think the kid can definitely be successful in the NHL and there's no doubt that he is an elite scorer for his age, it's just business and analyzing risks. I definitely see him going in the top 15 regardless though.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Hi,
As European , it is hard to follow, what kind of players from over the sea, are eligible for the 2019 draft.
Due the time difference and limited time overall, trying to follow NHL is enough :))

So can please some one, who knows those players.. tell me..

What kind of player is:

1. Bowen Byram - another Cale Makar , smoothly skating etc?
Do we use #4 pick for another D-man like that? That case Avs will trade Barrie for sure.
Or what kind of D-man he is?

2. Difference between Alex Turcotte and Dylan Cozens?
Are both playmakers, are one TWF like Jonathan Toews, Barkov etc..
Potential for 1C , 2C or what?

3. Cole Caufield
USPD 64 games, 72 goals

Thanks !

This my opinion for what it’s worth.

- Byram. Smooth skating, good offence with size 2-way LHD. Huge junior and playoffs seasons, he is similar to Reilly (Leafs) or Morrissey (Jets). Makar is a different player, but they would be deadly together. CHI is rumoured to be interested in drafting, but if selected opens the possibility to trade Barrie.

- Turcotte/Cozens. Both players are projected as low 1C or solid 2C. I was higher on Cozens, but Turcotte has fully recovered from a serious injury and my choice. Cozens has size and all the physical tools to be a fantastic offensive 2C with an elite shot, but questionable IQ could result in moving to RW. Comparable to Johannsen (NSH). Turcotte has high IQ, elite speed, 200 foot game and exceptional passing skills, but injuries dropped his ranking. He was scoring at the same pace as Hughes prior to injuries. Interestingly, replaced Hughes (when injured) without any drop off in production. Similar to former AVs ROR.

- Caufield. Questions about his true potential due to size and playmaking Centres. Centred by elite passers Hughes and Turcotte, his brilliant shot resulted in a record pace of goals. A significant reach at 4th, but gone by 16th. Compared to other small Wingers DeBrincat (CHI) or potential bust Yamamoto (EDM).

CHI is likely interested in the same players: Byram/Turcotte. AVs pick the other.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Youngblood29

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
We'll see what happens. Podkolzin has consistently been number three on McKenzie's list since last September. The next group has consistently been Dach-Cozens-Byram, with Dach rated ahead of those other two on McKenzie's list in January and April. I believe that Podkolzin will fall a bit, both due to his status of playing in Russia, but more than likely due to the fact that he is a pure winger. Byram has to have risen and I would not be surprised to see him drafted 3rd. Turcotte rose to 7th prior to the U18s. I think it will come down to Dach-Cozens-Turcotte with the Avs pick.

I know that there are differing opinions on Dach, but the fact that he is a 6'-4" 200 lb. right-handed center with tremendous hands and vision will likely weigh heavily with scouts. It is just the way it has always been. He is not without his questions, but scouts traditionally have fallen all over themselves for right-handed centers with size.

The biggest question with Dach may be whether he effectively uses his size in an aggressive manner and his skating. I personally don't believe that his skating is a major issue, but the question will be for scouts is whether he is more Cody Glass or Gabe Vilardi. Vilardi was a 6'-3" right-hand shooting forward with strong passing and puck protection skills, but with questions about his skating. He was consistently ranked right around number five overall coming into the draft, but fell to 11th selection in the actual draft.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
This draft is reminding me of 2009 in terms of solid depth through the first round, but not packed full of future superstars like 2015.

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
This my opinion for what it’s worth.

Super !! Thanks a lot !!
Really Good Analyze !!
With explanations and player comparisons !!

Now I know much more.

So the situation with the fourth pick is Not that bad?
There are good players left, outside the top 2.
(Honestly I would Not pick Hughes #1, imagine what Kakko would have make in that ”Childrens league” if he made 22goals against men)
*sh*t storm coming up :D
Just my opinion :)

Hughes could became great, I am just affraid of the size etc.

2 years ago, Hitchier and Patrick went 1&2.
Heiskanen and Makar behind them. And if the draft would be now, I would take those two D before those forwards, easily.

So I am confident (and hopeful) that #4 can bring us something nice.
Either another D,
Then Barrie will be traded to Forward (Which we will do anyways, because of lack of top forwards, future salary cap etc. Varly and Barrie out, we could sign great player with that money).

Or possible Center to add competition to that 2c position, Which sounds also nice.

#16 is different thing.. I would take Knight but I think he is Not available there.. so another Forward or trade to something.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Super !! Thanks a lot !!
Really Good Analyze !!
With explanations and player comparisons !!

Now I know much more.

So the situation with the fourth pick is Not that bad?
There are good players left, outside the top 2.
(Honestly I would Not pick Hughes #1, imagine what Kakko would have make in that ”Childrens league” if he made 22goals against men)
*sh*t storm coming up :D
Just my opinion :)

Hughes could became great, I am just affraid of the size etc.

2 years ago, Hitchier and Patrick went 1&2.
Heiskanen and Makar behind them. And if the draft would be now, I would take those two D before those forwards, easily.

So I am confident (and hopefully) that #4 can bring us something nice.
Either another D,
Then Barrie will be traded to Forward (Which we will do anyways, because of lack of top forwards, future salary cap etc. Varly and Barrie out, we could sign great player with that money).

Or possible Center to add competition to that 2c position, Which sounds also nice.

#16 is different thing.. I would take Knight but I think he is Not available there.. so another Forward or trade to something.

I believe Knight would be available.

Top 10 will not draft a Goalie. The range 11-15, maybe MIN, FL or AZ. The other teams already have a Goalie.

Here are my reasons he’s still available:

- MIN rebuilding and G need 4-5 years to be ready.
- FL is pursuing Bob or Varly as UFAs
- AZ drafted 2 Goalies last year and likely want more, but later rounds.

Still no guarantees Sakic makes the selection with this pick. He might choose the BPA and draft Goalies in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Reactions: Youngblood29

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I find it hard to evaluate the NTDP players tbh since the squad was so stacked. The more attention I pay, the more I wish there was a clear pick at 4 but I don’t think there is. So many guys that are very intriguing at that spot that all have unique strengths and no unique knocks on them. Take a guy like Zegras, he has eyes in the back of his head. He makes stupendously improbable passes look routine. Imagine this kid making plays on Mackinnon’s wing in a couple of years. That said his physical attributes are quite lacking for a player you want to take at 4.

Cozens, I love his hands, skating, size shoot first mentality, tendency to find openings in the slot and to drive the net hard. Good defensively as well. But I’m really not sold on his vision/playmaking, and ability to adapt when higher level teams start shutting down his rush offense.

Dach, best overall skill set of the guys available there at 4, so ridiculously talented but plays soft.

Turcotte, great skating, playmaking, tenacity, vision, a bit undersized, not the best shot.

Byram looks like a very complete defensemen in junior, but it’s hard for me to project an 18 year old defenseman over all of these offensive talents. Always hesitant to take one so early unless they really turn heads (Heiskanen, Doughty). I doubted the Makar pick though and was wrong about that.

No idea how to rank these guys, I keep going back and forth on if. Hepple really has his work cut out for him. A couple of these guys are going to turn into serious impact players in the NHL but it’s times like these I wish I had a crystal ball to figure out which ones.

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
I just would like take a goalie.
First, Avs need good goalie prospect, we dont have that. Yes, we took Annunen last year but...
Grubi is good at the moment but some good goalie in the systems would be great,
who could be ready after 2-3 years, first a backup and later as an starter.

Second,
Knight would still be a Number 1 ranked goalie in the draft, it cannot be Huge risk.
Easier to take #1 goalie than Figure out a Right Player after first 15picks..
So hard..

Once again, I have Not seen a single Eagles came but we took Kaut last year #16.
And what I have read, I am Not waiting too much.
Players do develop differently etc but first season,
Kaut 63 games, 26points
Rantanen was 52games, 60points.

Maybe they are totally different style of players, and it is Not only points Which matters..
But #16 pick, taking another this kind of ”lets hope to get something forward/D-man” or taking #1 goalie, it is easy for me.

+ Avs history of Drafting later is Not Great :-/
So I would Not count on that.

But everybody has their own thoughts and decisions, no one can predict things, this was just my opinion.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Odds are that we won't be picking at both 4 & 16. Sure we should be more interesting in FA this summer, but this team has too many holes up front to fill them all with FAs.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Player to watch is Podkolzin. He’s not a Top 5 pick. I expect him to fall to possibly 8-12 range and would be a better choice in the same range as Caufield.

If Pod falls and is available after 10, Sakic should move up and get him. I'm not sold on his skillset at 4, but if he is close to our own pick that's when it gets interesting. A Turcotte-Podkolzin combo would be a PITA to play against in 2-3 years time. Just a relentless combo of players that is on you from the start of their shift to the end of their shift.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Could Podkolzin fall to 16th? Picking up Turcotte and Podkolzin would be huge. Part of me want to pick up Cozen being in the CHL he has a chance to make the team next year or at least get 9 games but Turcotte has basically no chance of making the team next year.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Could Podkolzin fall to 16th? Picking up Turcotte and Podkolzin would be huge. Part of me want to pick up Cozen being in the CHL he has a chance to make the team next year or at least get 9 games but Turcotte has basically no chance of making the team next year.

Getting both players would be unimaginable for the future, but

- Turcotte already committed to Wisconsin.
- Podkolzin signed and staying in Russia for 2+ years.

Hoping updated rankings show a big Podkolzin decline, it could happen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He's a much better prospect than Kravtsov, who went 9th last year, but NHL teams make Pejorative Slured decisions with russian prospects every draft, so I guess there's a chance :dunno:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I've fully turned the corner on wanting Zegras at 4. He's raw and may need an extra season, but the frame will be there, smarts are through the roof, most skilled player after the top 2, he's shown more and more sandpaper as the season has gone on... I like Turcotte a lot too, but I just think Zegras as more of that 'it' factor and has a higher ceiling without much more risk.

Then Broberg or Knight at 16.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've fully turned the corner on wanting Zegras at 4. He's raw and may need an extra season, but the frame will be there, smarts are through the roof, most skilled player after the top 2, he's shown more and more sandpaper as the season has gone on... I like Turcotte a lot too, but I just think Zegras as more of that 'it' factor and has a higher ceiling without much more risk.

Yeah, he's my pick if Pod's not there. I won't be disappointed with Turcotte, but Zegras would be more exciting.

Reactions: Barklez

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I agree with you on Broberg and Knight. I would be happy with either but I'm a bit surprised you are not mentioning York. I'm pretty even on York and Broberg then it would be Knight or Lavoie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->