Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VI

Which Goaler (besides Knight) would you want the Avs to draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Any thoughts on Kaliyev at 16? Will he be around?

Will not if we advance though.
Big no for me on Kaliyev. Great scorer but he has not much besides that. Not the kind of guy we need. It's a no even at #28-31. There are much better options out there.

Reactions: McMetal

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Well if we win I hope we pick Knight with out late first. I’m fine with either Turcotte or Byram at 4th though.

What would have been really cool is 1st and 31st, but whatever.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Conference final teams that lose pick 28th and 29th. Cup loser 30th. Cup winner 31st.

That's what I had always thought but I thought I read a tweet recently that Tampa and all of the top seeds were locked into 26-30. Oh well, I am clearly not at my crispest this morning :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's what I had always thought but I thought I read a tweet recently that Tampa and all of the top seeds were locked into 26-30. Oh well, I am clearly not at my crispest this morning :laugh:
Division winners that don't make the conference finals are locked into the higher of 24-27 selections. IE Tampa is 27 and Calgary is 26. Now if they had lost in the conference finals they would have been 29 and 28 respectively.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Division winners that don't make the conference finals are locked into the higher of 24-27 selections. IE Tampa is 27 and Calgary is 26. Now if they had lost in the conference finals they would have been 29 and 28 respectively.

This is why I need to stop trusting NHL "reporters" on twitter when they contradict me :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This is why I need to stop trusting NHL "reporters" on twitter when they contradict me :laugh:

It is amazing how incorrect many get this... all they have to do is look back at drafts. In 16-17, Pens beat Nashville for the Cup. 31-30. Nashville beat Anaheim who won the Pacific, so Anaheim picks 29th. Ottawa finished 2nd in their division, but lost the conference finals, so they pick 28th. 27th was Washington who won the President's Trophy. Rocket science.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It is amazing how incorrect many get this... all they have to do is look back at drafts. In 16-17, Pens beat Nashville for the Cup. 31-30. Nashville beat Anaheim who won the Pacific, so Anaheim picks 29th. Ottawa finished 2nd in their division, but lost the conference finals, so they pick 28th. 27th was Washington who won the President's Trophy. Rocket science.

Right? But I saw it repeated enough times after all of the division winnners went out that I just assumed that they must have tweaked the rules without my having noticed lol

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What do people here think of Soderstrom? I don’t think he’d be the best pick at 16 but I really like his skating ability(and he seems solid defensively). Don’t think he’s a top pairing type of guy, but he’d fit in well with our D core I’d feel.
Soderstrom is solid and probably won't be there at 16th or in the 28th+, but holy cow if Broberg falls to 16th and Avs are still there that would be amazing. This might be controversial, but from the three defenders Soderstrom is the worst for me. I've done a 180 on Bjornfot and have them as Broberg, Bjornfot, and Soderstrom in that order. Forgot who the poster was when we talked about Tobias in the past, but you can pass the crow to me. Soder is more raw and probably has higher potential, but Bjornfot is already so polished in many areas and I see that he can build more on those tools in the long-run than Soderstrom can. Broberg has some questions about decision making with the puck, but he slammed those anti-bros quite nicely at the U18's. I still see a lot of John Carlson in his game.

If Foote is still available at our 2nd rd do you guys still want him? At this point I'd probably go with someone else but he has nice tools and seems like he can be an NHLer just with them alone.
Sniper type of player, good offencive instincts, good forechequer, underrated two-way player, but he doesn't have a lot of dynamic skill, doesn't really aim to be a difference maker in games, and tends to play the game similar to Nugent-Hopkins where quietly puts up points, but you come away with wanting more (and he doesn't have RNH's level of defence either). I wouldn't be opposed to him in the 2nd round, but I can't lie as it's been a pretty disappointing year for him considering what he did two years ago. I was anticipating that he would build upon his rookie WHL year into a top 15 player in this draft and he's more stagnated instead - showing there is a limitation of talent in his game.

Big no for me on Kaliyev. Great scorer but he has not much besides that. Not the kind of guy we need. It's a no even at #28-31. There are much better options out there.
Kaliyev has really changed my opinion about him throughout the year. Don't get me wrong he still has multiple red flags and I will keep him further down my list because of those. However, the lad was an effin' 50 goalscorer and kept that pace AFTER they traded Saigeon and all their core players for the rebuild. Hamilton Bulldogs were an under .500 team at 29-34-5 and only made the playoffs because Kingston and Barrie were somehow worse clubs. Bulldogs were so bad that after they traded Saigeon, he still finished 3rd on the team's scoring chart playing twenty games less than any other player there. The only two who finished above him were Strome with 79 points and Kaliyev at 102 points. Now of course they weren't Kingston bad, but this is a team coming off one season in the Memorial Cup and losing in the Finals (if my memory is correct). There is absolutely talent within Kaliyev and he did much of the heavy lifting for a draft eligible player which just cannot go unnoticed.

Reactions: Perratrooper

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The biggest problem I see with Kaliyev is he is going to royally piss off professional coaches. He's got talent and he's got a great shot, but his negatives are going to drive coaches nuts. Maybe to the point where he won't get a legit shot until management forces it. Now saying that, his coach Matsos will go to bat for him 100% of the time and defend him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The biggest problem I see with Kaliyev is he is going to royally piss off professional coaches. He's got talent and he's got a great shot, but his negatives are going to drive coaches nuts. Maybe to the point where he won't get a legit shot until management forces it. Now saying that, his coach Matsos will go to bat for him 100% of the time and defend him.
I don't disagree, but I also think the NHL scouts especially the OHL veteran scouts (which I would put Hepple in) will know what they're going to get with him. Of course there is also the optimism of him improving and him also knowing what his weaknesses are. Now with that said, if I were going to guess I would say that his draft placement will be won or lost at the combine during the interview process. He's a player who's going to get roasted by the regional scouts there and he needs to convince them to take a chance on him.

Reactions: cgf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't disagree, but I also think the NHL scouts especially the OHL veteran scouts (which I would put Hepple in) will know what they're going to get with him. Of course there is also the optimism of him improving and him also knowing what his weaknesses are. Now with that said, if I were going to guess I would say that his draft placement will be won or lost at the combine during the interview process. He's a player who's going to get roasted by the regional scouts there and he needs to convince them to take a chance on him.

Yup.... Someone will certainly take a chance in the teens or early 20s. There is too much upside there for it to be ignored, but it will be a scout pounding the table for him. On the right team, I think he could be a damn good player.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So Hughes looked great in a prelim game... Curious to see how he does at the Worlds.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought I was over it but seeing the Devils tweeting Hughes highlights got me all over again. Stupid lottery.

I'll just have to watch Avs playoffs highlights in addition to Byram/Cozens/Dach highlights to make myself feel better now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hughes as the (eventual) top line guy and Hischer as the 2nd line guy will have the Devils set for a very, very long time. They get Smith going and Blackwood ends up being halfway decent and they may be onto something. I still think they might stumble a little next season though, which is fine since they could use a little more depth. The only casualty in that scenario would be Hynes.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hischier as the 2C behind Hughes is incredible for the Devils. Damn jealous of them. Now let’s see if they can actually build an exciting offense for the first time like ever lol.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
****. Can’t win this game then. What a horrible pick to have.
There will still be some interesting players at the end of the first.

I like Jakob Pelletier, Nils Höglander, Albin Grewe, Moritz Seider, or Pavel Dorofeyev in that spot. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a few guys from that 12-20ish tier drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad