Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part III

We've talked about Ottawa's pick enough, lets start to separate who we want at 11th? (as of 02/06)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Zegras will probably top off at around 175 to 180 or so lbs and he will definitely won't fail gaining ten or so pounds of muscle after three or so years of training. It's not like he's going to gain all of it in one offseason, I am pretty sure that Girard has lost at least 6 or 7 lbs since the start of the season.

As I said in the past, I much prefer Boldy by a lot, but what makes Zegras interesting to me is that he's a natural centre that can play as a winger akin to Matt Duchene. Being able to pass the eye test at both positions is good sign for him rising, even if I am still not a overly big fan of him.
Can you imagine how good Marner & Aho would be if anyone told them they were supposed to weigh 190-200?
That's what happened to Ryan Murphy, sure he was a one-trick pony in juniors and failed in the NHL because of that. But the other reason is because he gained like twenty or so pounds and his skating went into Sumo Wrestler mode (where he wasn't that good to begin with).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I guess it's the best thread to post this...

The forbidden part of the abysmal, disgusting Auston Matthews contract is now teams might get lucky and draft elite talent but unlike in the past, their elite players will likely ask to become UFA at age 25-26 and choose where they want to play. They'll insist on signing short RFA deals that lead them there as quickly as possible (and this is a disaster for smaller, unattractive markets).

Gone are the days of the bridge contracts followed by a long term deal or the 8-year RFA deals.

"One respected Canadian team executive I reached out to referred to the “incompetence” of the deal interfering with the framework the rest of the league’s executives will have to work with moving forward."

Flames' Matthew Tkachuk weighs in on impact of Auston Matthews' new deal - Sportsnet.ca

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018

The forbidden part of the abysmal, disgusting Auston Matthews contract is now teams might get lucky and draft elite talent but unlike in the past, their elite players will likely ask to become UFA at age 25-26 and choose where they want to play. They'll insist on signing short RFA deals that lead them there as quickly as possible (and this is a disaster for smaller, unattractive markets).

Gone are the days of the bridge contracts followed by a long term deal or the 8-year RFA deals.

"One respected Canadian team executive I reached out to referred to the “incompetence” of the deal interfering with the framework the rest of the league’s executives will have to work with moving forward."

Flames' Matthew Tkachuk weighs in on impact of Auston Matthews' new deal - Sportsnet.ca
At last! I have been waiting this. Players have been such cowards before. Only reasonable thing to do is control your own destiny as much as you can.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
At last! I have been waiting this. Players have been such cowards before. Only reasonable thing to do is control your own destiny as much as you can.
Yeah who needs a draft anyway. Might as well just ask the players where they want to play.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

This is nothing new. Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Crosby, Nash, and Malkin all signed for 5 years after their ELC. Seguin and Tavares did 6 years. Star players have been using this strategy long before Matthews.

Reactions: CB Joe

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
This is nothing new. Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Crosby, Nash, and Malkin all signed for 5 years after their ELC. Seguin and Tavares did 6 years. Star players have been using this strategy long before Matthews.
and none of them left their team in free agency with the exception of Tavares.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Different era under a different CBA with different rules. Stamkos went all the way to unrestricted free agency before re-signing with Tampa which is arguably the greatest place to play hockey at the moment.

The Matthews contract is bad for the fans, bad for parity and bad for less attractive markets. Had Mack followed that route we'd potentially have only 2 years left of him. It takes incredible luck to draft a superstar and if you lose him shortly after he enters his prime it really sucks.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nah.
They will still play 8 years or more for the team that drafted them. That's a long time.
Why bother? You said it yourself: only reasonable thing to do is to control your destiny.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Different era under a different CBA with different rules. Stamkos went all the way to unrestricted free agency before re-signing with Tampa which is arguably the greatest place to play hockey at the moment.

The Matthews contract is bad for the fans, bad for parity and bad for less attractive markets. Had Mack followed that route we'd potentially have only 2 years left of him. It takes incredible luck to draft a superstar and if you lose him shortly after he enters his prime it really sucks.

That's a massive overreaction if I've ever seen one.

Like he said, guys have been signing 5 or 6 year deals directly out of ELCs for years now. This is nothing new. The only thing new out of this contract is that its becoming clear that young players are wanting to get paid maximum value and the idea of home town discounts are appearing to be gone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Player mobility isn't bad for the fans. That's a myth owners used to fight player mobility in world football for decades prior to the Bosman-ruling and it's proven to be entirely fallacious in the 20+ years since then as the quality of football played across domestic leagues in europe has only become more & more attractive.

Hockey teams have such a crazy degree of control over their players because it's a niche sport. As it grows players will gain more & more control over their careers.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Player mobility isn't bad for the fans. That's a myth owners used to fight player mobility in world football for decades prior to the Bosman-ruling and it's proven to be entirely fallacious in the 20+ years since then as the quality of football played across domestic leagues in europe has only become more & more attractive.

Hockey teams have such a crazy degree of control over their players because it's a niche sport. As it grows players will gain more & more control over their careers.
Oh come on. Football is so top heavy in terms of dominating clubs it’s not even funny. I don’t want that in the NHL.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
if it wasn't for these two loser points on the last games, we would be already on the 26th position of the table. yikes. now I'm starting to feel that two top 10 picks might be a real possibility this year. good for our future, I guess?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
if it wasn't for these two loser points on the last games, we would be already on the 26th position of the table. yikes. now I'm starting to feel that two top 10 picks might be a real possibility this year. good for our future, I guess?
Great for the future. The roster is full of holes that need to be adressed before the team goes anywhere. Top UFAs never come to Denver and the Avs suck at drafting, like it or not but the team is dependent on top picks.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
All these arguments over the size of a player we probably wont draft. I bet we tell our girls 6 is the new 8 inches too lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh come on. Football is so top heavy in terms of dominating clubs it’s not even funny. I don’t want that in the NHL.

And yet the quality of play has never been as high as it is now throughout the table & lower divisions...like where my eiserne play...

...nevermind that parity is a myth. Just look at the NHL with it's artificial parity: over the past decade, 8 cups were won by the Penguins, Hawks & Kings. With 1 of the 2 cups not won by cap-era-dynasties requiring a historic goaltending performance from Tim Thomas.

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
And yet the quality of play has never been as high as it is now throughout the table & lower divisions...like where my eiserne play...

...nevermind that parity is a myth. Just look at the NHL with it's artificial parity: over the past decade, 8 cups were won by the Penguins, Hawks & Kings. With 1 of the 2 cups not won by cap-era-dynasties requiring a historic goaltending performance from Tim Thomas.
Do you think these clubs will be dominating the NHL for decades like big football clubs?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do you think these clubs will be dominating the NHL for decades like big football clubs?

:dunno: La Liga may dominate europe now, but there was a time where Serie A reigned supreme & the Bundesliga or Premiership were in the mix. Just like there's change in the teams who dominate any given decade of the NHL.

Reactions: Barklez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad