Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part III

We've talked about Ottawa's pick enough, lets start to separate who we want at 11th? (as of 02/06)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We might have to backtrack a bit on the Spencer Knight comments. For how good he might be and as some of us have said here...Askarov might actually, potentially, and be realistically better than him.

Knight will be the best until Askarov gets selected, who will be the best until Wallstedt gets selected. Semi serious there... there 3 really, really good goalie prospects coming up. The last two will get that g word thrown around.

@S E P H did you watch the 5 Nations?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We might have to backtrack a bit on the Spencer Knight comments. For how good he might be and as some of us have said here...Askarov might actually, potentially, and be realistically better than him.

Askarov is 2020 draft eligible though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can you link us to a draft summary for Askarov???
Can't really find one, so I am going to tag @Gigantor The Goalie for more info. What I can tell you is that he's for the 2020 draft and is immensely impressive. Fast, agile, athletic, and reads the play at a fairly high level which is why people are throwing around Andrei Vasilevskiy 2.0 comments in the prospect world. Not sure if he's athletic or flexible as Vasilevksiy is, but IMHO he has much more IQ than Vas leading him not to make octopus type saves every other night. If Knight is considered a 15th or so prospect, I can't see why Askarov can't be picked higher than him since he might realistically be better than Spencer. However, you also have to take into consideration that 2020 is better and so far looking deeper than 2019, so Askarov being picked 17th overall could potentially be higher than Knight being picked 12th overall.

Knight will be the best until Askarov gets selected, who will be the best until Wallstedt gets selected. Semi serious there... there 3 really, really good goalie prospects coming up. The last two will get that g word thrown around.

@Seph did you watch the 5 Nations?
I didn't watch every game, but Askarov absolutely outplayed Knight. However, I must admit I wasn't really paying attention how good this USA team was compared to how good that Russian team was. It seems based on the 5 Nations thread, each team had their fair share of problems. I heard Wallstedt had a pretty terrible showing though, but his draft is so far away that he might simply be underdeveloped.

Tanking for a generational goalie would be a new experience :sarcasm:
Any other bonafided top 6 Av players we can trade to Anaheim now?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I didn't watch every game, but Askarov absolutely outplayed Knight. However, I must admit I wasn't really paying attention how good this USA team was compared to how good that Russian team was. It seems based on the 5 Nations thread, each team had their fair share of problems. I heard Wallstedt had a pretty terrible showing though, but his draft is so far away that he might simply be underdeveloped.

Knight wasn't bad, just average and Askarov really out played him. I was mostly asking because of Zegras... he was absolutely electric .

Wallstedt is a bit over his head this year at the U20 level in general, but that is to be expected at 16. I expect him to really build some hype next season. (IMO Sweden was decidedly unimpressive in this tournament in general)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Knight wasn't bad, just average and Askarov really out played him. I was mostly asking because of Zegras... he was absolutely electric .

Wallstedt is a bit over his head this year at the U20 level in general, but that is to be expected at 16. I expect him to really build some hype next season.
Not sure if you saw my last post before we went off-topic, but I said some good things about Zegras. :nod: Most importantly that even if his type of player isn't too appetizing for me, he is becoming a very proficient centre and winger showing versatility in his game. Boldy is still possesses more pure dynamic ability, but Zegras is definitely becoming one of the most accomplished players in this draft (showing that he does have talent).

I have no concerns about Wallstedt either, if there is a goaler who can push into the top 5 it should be him.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure if you saw my last post before we went off-topic, but I said some good things about Zegras. :nod: Most importantly that even if his type of player isn't too appetizing for me, he is becoming a very proficient centre and winger showing versatility in his game. Boldy is still possesses more pure dynamic ability, but Zegras is definitely becoming one of the most accomplished players in this draft (showing that he does have talent).

I have no concerns about Wallstedt either, if there is a goaler who can push into the top 5 it should be him.

Didn't see that... too off topic-y today

Zegras is surely winning over a lot of people. I think he has a lot more talent left to show people and will continue his rise (IMO Zegras has more talent than Boldy but without the frame... headier player too). That ability to play both positions and well does help him.

When a goalie records a youngest ever goal scorer in a league, I think he should be an auto top 5. :laugh:

Reactions: avsfan09

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
What is weird is that there is going to be a split between owners and GMs on contract lengths. GMs want to be able to go to the 7/8 years if they know a player will be great for that long. Owners don't want to be on the hook for more than 5. IMO a 5/6 year split is almost assured to happen in the next CBA.

GMs are gonna want to do 7/8 years even if they think the player won't be great for that long, just to make sure they actually get that player over everybody else and for short term success.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Can't really find one, so I am going to tag @Gigantor The Goalie for more info. What I can tell you is that he's for the 2020 draft and is immensely impressive. Fast, agile, athletic, and reads the play at a fairly high level which is why people are throwing around Andrei Vasilevskiy 2.0 comments in the prospect world. Not sure if he's athletic or flexible as Vasilevksiy is, but IMHO he has much more IQ than Vas leading him not to make octopus type saves every other night. If Knight is considered a 15th or so prospect, I can't see why Askarov can't be picked higher than him since he might realistically be better than Spencer. However, you also have to take into consideration that 2020 is better and so far looking deeper than 2019, so Askarov being picked 17th overall could potentially be higher than Knight being picked 12th overall.

Yaroslavl Askarov is one of the leading next generation goalies. He's patient on his feet, floats around the crease, knows his size and how best to use it. There's a reason he's been Russia's go to goalie for the Hlinka, WJAC, and every other international tournament they can throw him in. He's playing a pro game that hasn't quite made it into the pro's yet.

Observations from the Hlinka tournament:

He does a good job at identifying what his strengths are and does his best to play to those strengths. One of his primary strengths is his overall movement. He’s very quick in all aspects of his game from his reaction time to how quick he’s able to get around the net. Overall his movement is very smooth when he’s on his feet or on his knees through the use of his edges. This sees him getting in position and set quickly making him hard to play against. With how quick he does move and his slender frame his form is prone to additional holes opening up while moving. With such an active play style he’s also prone to taking himself out of position by wanting to stay aggressive on the puck carrier/shooter.

Does well reading the play and anticipating shots which allows him to stay in a relaxed stance when the puck is moving around the edges of the defensive zone. His tracking is very good as well as you rarely see him end up behind the play and his ability to track the shot to his body allows him to often direct the puck into non-dangerous areas. What hurts his rebound control is the previously mentioned active style especially on pass-shots situations where he doesn’t get set properly and he’s able to make the save though not able to direct the puck into non-dangerous areas. He knows how to make proper decisions with the puck on his stick however his lack of power means we see his clears/passes fall short or end up at their target later than they should.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It’s a demonstrable fact, not a position.

And the system is broken, if workers had rights in America they’d already have sued to have it fixed.
I know you mention that teams on top tend to dominate but is there not a chance you are both right? It seems every season we have significant drops and rises from teams that we couldnt have predicted. Maybe not winning it all but allowing more teams a legitimate playoff shot?

Also lets agree no more Soccer/Football talk.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Newhook has really been dominating more than ever lately. 17 more points than anybody in the league right now and 30 more than anybody on his team. I wish he had played the season in Halifax but he stuck to what he wanted and he’s performing really really well. I started getting a little down on him but he’s climbing back up.

He’s better relative to his peers in that league than what Jost was. Not that Jost is impressing anyone now or anything but still.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know you mention that teams on top tend to dominate but is there not a chance you are both right? It seems every season we have significant drops and rises from teams that we couldnt have predicted. Maybe not winning it all but allowing more teams a legitimate playoff shot?

Also lets agree no more Soccer/Football talk.

What's a legitimate playoff shot if you can't actually win?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
What's a legitimate playoff shot if you can't actually win?
I thought you were made we didnt make an effort to win a round:) And i assume money and it helps your fanbase.

But that point is exactly why I'm fine with this season. As long as he makes the right moves this summer.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
What is weird is that there is going to be a split between owners and GMs on contract lengths. GMs want to be able to go to the 7/8 years if they know a player will be great for that long. Owners don't want to be on the hook for more than 5. IMO a 5/6 year split is almost assured to happen in the next CBA.
5-6 year max would certainly make deadlines more exciting. It could increase competition in the league.

It could also hurt the players. Some guys aren't going to get those "golden years" contracts, and job security would suffer a bit.

As a fan, I like it. I could see it being an issue though

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I thought you were made we didnt make an effort to win a round:) And i assume money and it helps your fanbase.

But that point is exactly why I'm fine with this season. As long as he makes the right moves this summer.

I can live with it as a fan, the problem is how the core players will take it.

Reactions: cgf

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I could live with this result:
upload_2019-2-12_16-50-2.png

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Newhook has really been dominating more than ever lately. 17 more points than anybody in the league right now and 30 more than anybody on his team. I wish he had played the season in Halifax but he stuck to what he wanted and he’s performing really really well. I started getting a little down on him but he’s climbing back up.

He’s better relative to his peers in that league than what Jost was. Not that Jost is impressing anyone now or anything but still.

Eberle 2.0... where you end up thinking he should go also should relate to how good you think Eberle is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe production wise? Stylistically that’s one of the weirdest comparables you could make.

I really don't think it is as far fetched as you think... Dynamic offensive players, play the game from the outside and perimeter, average sized and can play with some edge but lose battles, lapses in defensive coverage, average skaters, can get knocked off their games with physical play, get massive bouts of tunnel vision...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really don't think it is as far fetched as you think... Dynamic offensive players, play the game from the outside and perimeter, average sized and can play with some edge but lose battles, lapses in defensive coverage, average skaters, can get knocked off their games with physical play, get massive bouts of tunnel vision...
Average skater? You must be talking about somebody else. His skating, if all else fails is so good that it will still be enough to make him an NHL player. All the extras are what will make the difference in him being a top player or a Sven Andrighetto.

Newhook isn’t a perimeter player either. And his feet are always moving. He’s very high motor. Definitely needs to get stronger and the handful of games he’ll play in college instead of turning pro or playing junior will help him there by giving him a lot more time in the weight room.

Newhook has things to improve on but he isn’t very similar to Eberle. If there’s a comparable stylistically out there I actually go with Mcdavid or his draft class colleague Jack Hughes. Clearly a majorly scaled down version of those as he doesn’t have that type of talent but his style is certainly similar.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Average skater? You must be talking about somebody else. His skating, if all else fails is so good that it will still be enough to make him an NHL player. All the extras are what will make the difference in him being a top player or a Sven Andrighetto.

Newhook isn’t a perimeter player either. And his feet are always moving. He’s very high motor. Definitely needs to get stronger and the handful of games he’ll play in college instead of turning pro or playing junior will help him there by giving him a lot more time in the weight room.

Newhook has things to improve on but he isn’t very similar to Eberle. If there’s a comparable stylistically out there I actually go with Mcdavid or his draft class colleague Jack Hughes. Clearly a majorly scaled down version of those as he doesn’t have that type of talent but his style is certainly similar.

I've seen Newhook a ton... he's not a great skater. This is one of those cases where he looks so much better than everyone else so people state he is a great skater. It is average and certainly isn't excellent. People really like to overrate junior skating, especially at that level. Look no further than Jost being regarded as an excellent skater there. Or Fabbro. They are average at best skaters.

He is very much a perimeter player. That doesn't mean he can't get into dirty areas from time to time, but he prefers the edges when he plays and tunnels his plays that way. IMO being Eberle 2.0 isn't a bad thing... in his prime Eberle was a damn good offensive player. Not what I'd consider a core guy, but a good guy to add to a solid core.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
A small deviation from the current discussions, but I personally want Kaliyev. I know goaltending and defensemen are a need for this team, but I also think this team lacks pure goal scoring - like a Boeser or Pastrnak. I know there are questions about his skating ability...but I'm fairly intrigued by a 17 y/o who can score 42 goals in 53 games (even if it is in jrs).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
A small deviation from the current discussions, but I personally want Kaliyev. I know goaltending and defensemen are a need for this team, but I also think this team lacks pure goal scoring - like a Boeser or Pastrnak. I know there are questions about his skating ability...but I'm fairly intrigued by a 17 y/o who can score 42 goals in 53 games (even if it is in jrs).

Guy is atrocious away from the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce