Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
How do Avs scouts deal with the fact that they're now having to scout what could be a top-5 pick along with what could be a mid-to-late 1st? Is it business as usual, or do they spread themselves a little thinner looking at two groups of players?

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
How do Avs scouts deal with the fact that they're now having to scout what could be a top-5 pick along with what could be a mid-to-late 1st? Is it business as usual, or do they spread themselves a little thinner looking at two groups of players?
Don't worry, they don't have to. Our pick will be a lottery pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It will pretty much business as usual... maybe a touch higher focus on a few player where Sakic, Hepple, and co. from upper management take in extra games from the high picks. Overall... they will still rank 70-100 players and have their first round grades and follow that list for the top picks. Even a team like Tampa will go through the process of the top 5-10 players... you never know who becomes available on draft day or later down the line.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Probably business as usual. They have to be prepared for anything, moving up, moving down, acquiring a pick at the draft, etc. They should be prepared for anything to happen.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Dach is interesting. He's a finesse player in a big body, and I wonder if the fact that he doesn't engage a lot physically despite his size is what drops him. I love his skill level but that is a legit knock on him.
This simply isn't true. He doesn't throw huge hits often but no one these days does really. He battles along the boards, in front of the net and is one of the best at protecting the puck. He's more engaging than Cozens is at this point but he has 30 pounds on him

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Ah i see. If spencer knight is gone when we pick with the avs 1st round pick, and turcotte would be available, i’d say turcs should be taken.

Reactions: Balthazar

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Is Knight a realistic option?

I would love to get a high caliber goalie prospect like that in the system, but we all know how much this team loves their mid to late rounds Euro goalies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Button was so high on Dahlin last year it's hard to believe that he'd be N-A biaised. Even though he doesn't give a crap about the concensus he's (objectively) one of the best out there at making those lists if not the best.

Button has his own way of doing things but it's hard to say he's biased towards North Americans based on recent history. He just had four Europeans in his top five last year. A couple more the year before and I don't think anyone was higher on Necas than he was. It's the same thing this year too with Kakko and Podkolzin in his top three and he might also be leading the Broberg bandwagon.

Last edited:

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

I would love to get a high caliber goalie prospect like that in the system, but we all know how much this team loves their mid to late rounds Euro goalies.

If he will be just as good as Carey Price was advertised when he was picked in the 1st round, then I think that Sakic will maybe try to draft Knight in the 1st round, Avalanche 1st rounder pick. IF Knight is a great grade A goalie, then we have to draft him, especially if there is nothing else useful remaining in that 2oth - 25th 1st round pick range.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
When would this hopefully-better-Spencer be ready to take the reigns? 4-5 years from now? Too long.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
When would this hopefully-better-Spencer be ready to take the reigns? 4-5 years from now? Too long.
No if he's available we should take him (although I doubt we will since we drafted Annunen last year with our 2nd highest pick and traded for Grubauer).

If he will be just as good as Carey Price was advertised when he was picked in the 1st round, then I think that Sakic will maybe try to draft Knight in the 1st round, Avalanche 1st rounder pick. IF Knight is a great grade A goalie, then we have to draft him, especially if there is nothing else useful remaining in that 2oth - 25th 1st round pick range.

Doesn't mean much but Price was ranked at around the same spot in 2005 (but went 5th OA)

MCKEEN'S HOCKEY RELEASES FINAL TOP 100 RANKINGS FOR 2005 NHL DRAFT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Button is like the furthest thing from being biased - it's more like he loves certain players and ranks them really high compared to the rest of the scouting world.

Not sure what you mean by realistic option? Avs won't be picking him in the top 8ish and we will probably find themselves around 18th to 25th which I can't see him dropping to currently. We're talking about Jack Campbell type of draft range concerning him, he's John Gibson 2.0 for me.

What do you guys think of Bobby Brink? He has a pretty sweet name.
Meh, jack of all trades type of player. Good IQ, great anticipation, and lethal shot release, however, he's small and skating is an issue.

Knight would be at least two years at Boston College and at least two in the AHL, so you're right we're looking at a four year time frame. Don't get me wrong I would absolutely love to pick him, but there is a reason why I prefer to trade for good talent from other teams.

Reactions: avsfan09

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Not sure what you mean by realistic option? Avs won't be picking him in the top 8ish and we will probably find themselves around 18th to 25th which I can't see him dropping to currently. We're talking about Jack Campbell type of draft range concerning him, he's John Gibson 2.0 for me.

My bad, should have been clearer. I meant with the Avs pick. All I read was that he's the top G prospect and a few mocks I've looked at had him going in the mid 20s so I was wondering if he could be an option with the later pick.

I figure they won't use a 1st on a goalie 4 years away though

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Goalies are such a gamble.

The top Goalie prospects need at least 4-7 years. If you’re lucky, they could be a solid backup early and ease into a starters role. Teams will take their chances with less riskier picks in rounds 3-5. AVs are likely repeating last season to keep stockpiling BPA Goalies with lower picks.

Sens pick will fill an area of need at Forward which the top 5 are locks. AVs are likely picking BPA regardless of need.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Knight, I think your best case is 4 seasons, worst case is 6. I agree that is too long, but when we get into the meat of it... a mid 1st is going to be 3 years from impacting at a high level anyway. If you can solve one of the big lacking areas on the team, and possibly only have an extra year in there, I think you make that selection. IE take the 2016 draft... these players are in their +3 seasons and supposed to be breaking out this year or next year. Yet you look at the picks 17-30 and 1 has played more than 50 games, and he's a 3rd liner at best right now. 2015 is turning out to be a fantastic draft and that last half took until last year to establish. 2014 only Tuch, Pasta, and Schmaltz have established as high impact guys.

TLDR... I don't think anybody should really be looking at the Avs' pick as a guy who will put this team over the top in the timeframe needed. The Sens' pick is that guy because of his placement. Any selection after that is gravy if they pan out earlier and will be more about maintaining the build vs being a part of the build.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When Brink is said to have elite speed... you know the whole list should be thrown away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad