Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I generally agree with most of that list. After the WJCs the gap has narrowed between Hughes and Kakko, but I'm still comfortable with Hughes as the #1. I would have Newhook higher (I still like him despite hench's warnings) and Kaliyev lower (still don't trust he isn't Yakupov 2.0), but generally that jives with my limited viewings this year.

I'd have Dach higher too, as much as I like Zegras I'd switch the two on the rankings.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If we have our own pick and Turcotte is still there and we don’t pick him I might just buy myself a ticket for an Avs game and bring along a sign saying “Get a brain, morans!”.
Thought the same about Spencer Knight, who's currently ranked around where we should draft with our pick.

Reactions: arun

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So has dach started to slip or is that around where hes been ranked?

I don't think Button has been as much of a fan of Dach as others. Button has his own list and doesn't give a damn about consensus... never has. IMO if you are valuing positionally, and you see Dach as a winger long-term... I think that area is fair. Maybe swap Boldy and Dach, but that is splitting hairs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Dach is interesting. He's a finesse player in a big body, and I wonder if the fact that he doesn't engage a lot physically despite his size is what drops him. I love his skill level but that is a legit knock on him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dach is interesting. He's a finesse player in a big body, and I wonder if the fact that he doesn't engage a lot physically despite his size is what drops him. I love his skill level but that is a legit knock on him.

Like, not engage a lot physically like Joe Thornton, or not engage physically like Mikhail Grigorenko?

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Live look at some posters:

giphy.gif
Yes becouse Button's known for his accurate and N.A.bias-free rankings:laugh:

The head of NHL's european scouting just said today that he thinks Kakko is better than Hughes.
So it goes both ways I guess.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

The head of NHL's european scouting just said today that he thinks Kakko is better than Hughes.
Whichever player the Avs pick will be the best player in the draft

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
IF we end up with either Kakko/Hughes it won't matter to me.

However I'll slightly chuckle to myself if Kakko does go #2 to see a certain poster who bleeds ketchup to have a complete meltdown.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
IF we end up with either Kakko/Hughes it won't matter to me.

However I'll slightly chuckle to myself if Kakko does go #2 to see a certain poster who bleeds ketchup to have a complete meltdown.
Actually if we have the second pick and Kakko is still there I'll be the happiest guy here.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Like, not engage a lot physically like Joe Thornton, or not engage physically like Mikhail Grigorenko?
Eh, more like Thornton I guess. It's not that he won't go into the corners at all, but grinding down low just isn't his game. He may be big, but he doesn't use his body the way Cozens does to bull his way around the ice. Like I said, he's a finesse player who just happens to be large and lanky. I've seen people talk up his size in this thread, but that's not exactly something that's pivotal to the way he plays.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Eh, more like Thornton I guess. It's not that he won't go into the corners at all, but grinding down low just isn't his game. He may be big, but he doesn't use his body the way Cozens does to bull his way around the ice. Like I said, he's a finesse player who just happens to be large and lanky. I've seen people talk up his size in this thread, but that's not exactly something that's pivotal to the way he plays.

Sounds like Rantanen, any chance he’s plays similar to him? Obviously rantanen engages physically, but he’s definitely more of a finesse player.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
he's a finesse player who just happens to be large and lanky.
Unless he's Mario Lemieux I'm not a fan of this type of player at the NHL level. If they don't use their big size as an advantage it usually becomes a disadvantage (less speed/stamina/explosiveness).

Rants uses his size quite well (his butt and reach).

Reactions: shadow1

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It's always an interesting conversation when it comes to skill players with size. The Bruins more or less gave up on Thornton mainly because he didn't play like Mario Lemieux or Cam Neely (at least that was the rumor). He didn't shy away from physical play but he didn't (and still doesn't) play with a mean streak. Same goes with guys like Jaromir Jagr, Marian Hossa, and Mikko Rantanen. They use their size to create space but they're not out to punish the opposition and play in that classical power forward mode. One could argue that's why Cam's career was so short and a guy like Jumbo Joe has lasted as long as he has.

I just don't want a pure perimeter guy like Grigorenko (or Peter Mueller) who completely refuses to get into the dirty areas of the ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

'twas joke. :nod:

But yeah because 3 out of the top 5 are Euros... just screams NA bias. 4 out of 5 in 2018. 2 out of 5 in 2017 (5 of top 10). Button is far from perfect, but biased to NA prospects he isn't.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Button was so high on Dahlin last year it's hard to believe that he'd be N-A biaised. Even though he doesn't give a crap about the concensus he's (objectively) one of the best out there at making those lists if not the best.

Reactions: Avs_19 and LTC Pain

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Button was so high on Dahlin last year it's hard to believe that he'd be N-A biaised. Even though he doesn't give a crap about the concensus he's (objectively) one of the best out there at making those lists if not the best.
THIS

I hate Craig Button. He has the hottest takes of them all. He gets down on a kid and rates him so poorly because of something so little that it's beyond unfair. He has so much inconsistency throughout his ranking thats I and everyone else disagree with yet at the end of the day, who's better?

The answer is nobody.

Button is a buffoon that is often wrong. However he also just so happens to be the best at what he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad