Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What do you think about Brink's upside? Would it be worth it with the Avs pick I mean? Or try for a guy like Caulfield

I personally wouldn't pick either with the Avs' 1st. Brink will go in that range though as some front office with fall in love with his smarts and style of play. I don't think there is a game changing sort of skill set there and he is small. I think he is a NHLer long-term, but I wouldn't feel comfortable projecting higher than a 2nd liner. Shorty McShorts will available in the 2nd... if you want him, just select him there.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I personally wouldn't pick either with the Avs' 1st. Brink will go in that range though as some front office with fall in love with his smarts and style of play. I don't think there is a game changing sort of skill set there and he is small. I think he is a NHLer long-term, but I wouldn't feel comfortable projecting higher than a 2nd liner. Shorty McShorts will available in the 2nd... if you want him, just select him there.
And Leason,?Lavoie?as forward but for me Avs should take a good LHD two-way.
Byram (between 5 and 10 )
Broberg ( between 5 and 15)
Robertson (10 and 20)
Harley (15 and 31)
Kokkonen (15 and 31).If Sakic think a guy like Jake Lee,Brinkman or Vukojevic will be available in second round may be they can pick a good futur 1st or 2nd liner.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No offense meant, but not gonna go crazy on reports... can't give it away for free now. I do think expectation should be drawn in on the mid 1st pick. This draft certainly has some talent there, but the tiers are quicker and the drop off is quicker that some other recent years. I see a gap between the ~10-35 range where there are some good place but some land mines too.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
No offense meant, but not gonna go crazy on reports... can't give it away for free now. I do think expectation should be drawn in on the mid 1st pick. This draft certainly has some talent there, but the tiers are quicker and the drop off is quicker that some other recent years. I see a gap between the ~10-35 range where there are some good place but some land mines too.
I agree but i think the gap is between 18 until 40.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I would rather prefer Baldy or whatever his name was Lol.
Didn't we already have Blake Comeau?

mmmmm-low-hanging-fruit.jpg

Reactions: cgf

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
That's weirdly specific, implying that there's a concensus top 18.

At least 18,what do you think?
Not necessarly ranking but listing
1-Hugues
2-Kakko
3-Cozens
4-Dach
5-Podkolzin
6-Byram
7-Boldy
8-Zegras
9-Krebs
10-Turcotte
11-Newhook
12-Kaliyev
13-Lavoie
14-Broberg
15- Soderstrom
16-Pelletier
17-York
18-Caufield
And i'm sure you can add some name (Dorofeyev,Leason,Brink,Robertson etc).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
1-Hugues
2-Kakko
3-Cozens
4-Dach
5-Podkolzin
6-Byram
7-Boldy
8-Zegras
9-Krebs
10-Turcotte
11-Newhook
12-Kaliyev
13-Lavoie
14-Broberg
15- Soderstrom
16-Pelletier
17-York
18-Caufield
And i'm sure you can add some name (Dorofeyev,Leason,Brink,Robertson etc).
That's cool and all but where is Spencer Knight?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Just some thoughts:

Newhook is WAY too high
Caufield is a 2nd round grade
Teams love or hate Kaliyev
Turcotte being injured causes a lot of doubts

What I see is a top 8-10 then a large group where you can debate a lot. IE I'd debate taking Seider or Suzuki over about half that group.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You're underselling Caulfield, especially when you bring the likes of Suzuki up and all the red flags he has with his game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Really wish I could've seen the USHL prospects game tonight (hardly anyone was in the stands so it would've been a ridiculously easy ticket) but I had to help the wife babysit for a friend.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Just some thoughts:

Newhook is WAY too high

What I see is a top 8-10 then a large group where you can debate a lot. IE I'd debate taking Seider or Suzuki over about half that group.

I keep Caufield in this list but i forgot Suzuki (between 10 and 15) Knightis the next on this list. And i think Newhook will be a good pick between 10 and 15. I'm sure about that the AVS pick will be a good player

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Turcotte is playing pretty damn good right now. To me, he is a top 3 talent in the draft easily, the only question is the playing style that leaves him prone to getting absolutely wrecked at times. Top 5 for me is:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Cozens
4. Turcotte - if he keeps up and stays healthy he will be clear cut #3
5. Byram

PS

A little more info on him, he has the highest ppg out of all NTDP players against college comp, plays a 200-foot game, works hard, even too hard at times, is projected to be a two-way top line pivot in the NHL. Would fit in beautifully behind Nate if the Sens pick ends up being 3rd or 4th.

Reactions: BKarchitect

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
If the Avs keep going at the rate they’re losing both picks will be top 10

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Read my my Ivan - Turcotte has been fabulous since returning from injury and reminding people why he was right there with the best non-Hughes or Kakko prospects in the draft at the beginning of the season. He looks to me like the most well-rounded of all the centers in the draft...really no weakness, elite playmaking and IQ, really solid size and plays so hard, excels in all zones.

He needs to be a serious consideration for the Avs no matter where we pick and fit wise, he might be the best bet of all of these kids.

Reactions: Ivan13

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Just some thoughts:

Newhook is WAY too high

I like Newhook expected top 15 with the AVs pick. Similar to Duchene, but plays in a low level league and can be a boom/bust prospect like Jost. Preference would be a LHD, but if Newhook is available, AVs should consider selecting Robertson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brett44

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You're underselling Caulfield, especially when you bring the likes of Suzuki up and all the red flags he has with his game.

It isn't that I'm underselling his talent, he has a ton, but you're not going to have many (if any) NHL scouting departments lining up to select a 5'7" (generous) player in the first round. I fully expect him to be a 30-40 pick and could be a steal there.

Anybody selecting Newhook in the top 15 is going to be disappointed with that pick. He's got skill and I think he will be a NHL player, but he isn't a Duchene level guy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Podkolzhin should still be top five, contract situation notwithstanding. Just on pure talent he has to be in that conversation. He may slip past there on draft day just because of the Russian Factor, but if you're ranking on pure quality he's easily in the Cozens/Dach tier, and above Zegras.

Even with the Russian Factor, I don't how he slips past the Rangers pick at the very minimum, they've already shown a willingness to pick talented Russians high.

Reactions: cgf

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Podkolzhin should still be top five, contract situation notwithstanding. Just on pure talent he has to be in that conversation. He may slip past there on draft day just because of the Russian Factor, but if you're ranking on pure quality he's easily in the Cozens/Dach tier, and above Zegras.

Even with the Russian Factor, I don't how he slips past the Rangers pick at the very minimum, they've already shown a willingness to pick talented Russians high.
Definitely but I see him in the 5-10 range. Unless he interviews really well and a team takes a big risk. Hes definitely behind Cozens for me though and maybe Turcotte aswell.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why would Podkolzin staying in Russia for two years make him drop when Dach & Cozens are both unlikely to be impact players before their draft+3 seasons either? Does that draft+2 season where they’re just getting their feet wet & Podkolzin is still polishing his game in the KHL, really make much of a difference?

The kid wants to come to the NHL when he’s ready and he won’t take any longer to become a difference maker than all of the other non-Hughes-or-Kakko prospects :dunno:

Reactions: Barklez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad