Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I have some concerns over Hughes size and toughness. Seems to get pushed around a lot. I would still run around the streets naked if we drafted him.

Him as a 2c and a 2nd PP leader would be unbelievable. I feel the same way about Kakko and a few others. Dach is one of the smoothest skaters and stickhandlers I've ever seen.
Just like Elias is getting pushed around, am I right? Elite skating and IQ trumps all.

Reactions: McMetal and cgf

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I have some concerns over Hughes size and toughness. Seems to get pushed around a lot. I would still run around the streets naked if we drafted him.

Him as a 2c and a 2nd PP leader would be unbelievable. I feel the same way about Kakko and a few others. Dach is one of the smoothest skaters and stickhandlers I've ever seen.
I think Hughes’ skating will allow him to translate his game almost flawlessly to the NHL. Like his brother, his skating will allow him to slip by other players pretty consistently instead of getting hit. Jack would probably be one of the most slippery forwards in the NHL today already, to be honest.

Reactions: cgf

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Hughes has a been throttled a few times already this year . He hasn't been very impressive for a lot of people according to the Jack Hughes thread

Reactions: AvsFan29

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Actually, it doesn't, as anyone with the 5th grade level of understanding of physics will tell you.
So you're telling me that a bigger guy is just as easy to knock around as a smaller guy? I guess it's a weird coincidence that the average height in the NHL is 6 foot 1 and around 200 pounds.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So you're telling me that a bigger guy is just as easy to knock around as a smaller guy? I guess it's a weird coincidence that the average height in the NHL is 6 foot 1 and around 200 pounds.

Taller & bigger aren't exactly the same thing ;-)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Meh, he's okay. Really hardworking kid with a good head on his shoulders and solid shot, but his skating sucks and he's really raw for my liking. I suggest that Brasilian Kallionkieli projects as the better forward in the long run as of now.

I'm throwing a bone out here ;)

It should be known by now that I'm not the biggest fan of smaller players with poor skating. Brink is an absurdly smart 2 way winger though, and that goes a long ways to covering up for his physical faults.

Jack Hughes has never played in a best on best tournament that he finished worse than 1st in scoring ever. Not a single time. WJC this year is his biggest challenge for that, but there isn't any reason to think he can't dominate that tournament like he has other tournaments in the past. It is always funny when you get to these ''not impressive" high end players. Hughes has a 1.92 points per game average right now and 10 more points than his next highest teammate in only 25 games played. The only player to have a better PPG average on the USNDTP is Matthews at 1.95... that is one extra secondary assist away for Hughes. If you watch the games routinely, there are normally one or two prime chances per game flubbed by his teammate per game. A touch better puck luck and he is over 2 quite easily. It will be very interesting to see him play this year in the WJC and if he can handle the pressure and lead the US.

Reactions: Tommy G

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Taller & bigger aren't exactly the same thing ;-)
Taller generally means heavier. A taller athlete has a larger frame and generally can put on more muscle.

Taller and heavier absolutely makes it harder to be knocked around. I'm not sure why that guy is arguing with me about this.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Taller generally means heavier. A taller athlete has a larger frame and generally can put on more muscle.

Taller and heavier absolutely makes it harder to be knocked around. I'm not sure why that guy is arguing with me about this.

Taller also means a lower center of gravity. It’s why so many nfl running backs are shaped like bowling balls. Makes them harder to knock over.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm throwing a bone out here ;)

It should be known by now that I'm not the biggest fan of smaller players with poor skating. Brink is an absurdly smart 2 way winger though, and that goes a long ways to covering up for his physical faults.

Jack Hughes has never played in a best on best tournament that he finished worse than 1st in scoring ever. Not a single time. WJC this year is his biggest challenge for that, but there isn't any reason to think he can't dominate that tournament like he has other tournaments in the past. It is always funny when you get to these ''not impressive" high end players. Hughes has a 1.92 points per game average right now and 10 more points than his next highest teammate in only 25 games played. The only player to have a better PPG average on the USNDTP is Matthews at 1.95... that is one extra secondary assist away for Hughes. If you watch the games routinely, there are normally one or two prime chances per game flubbed by his teammate per game. A touch better puck luck and he is over 2 quite easily. It will be very interesting to see him play this year in the WJC and if he can handle the pressure and lead the US.

He's absolutely a phenomenal player, and I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that, but his size and strength hasn't been anywhere near the level of players like Kakko.

Kakko plays like Forsberg, and we've all seen how much it has benefited Rants to get stronger and heavier.

We're all hoping for our pick to make an impact next season (best case scenario) and honestly theres a lot of guys in this league that would steamroll Hughes.

If we got the first pick, I would still select him. Unless trading down to 2 was a good option. Kakko is a legit star player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Generally being the operative word. EP is still a stick figure & with his height has a higher center of gravity that makes him easier to push around than Hughes will be.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's absolutely a phenomenal player, and I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that, but his size and strength hasn't been anywhere near the level of players like Kakko.

Kakko plays like Forsberg, and we've all seen how much it has benefited Rants to get stronger and heavier.

We're all hoping for our pick to make an impact next season (best case scenario) and honestly theres a lot of guys in this league that would steamroll Hughes.

If we got the first pick, I would still select him. Unless trading down to 2 was a good option. Kakko is a legit star player.

I'm not saying Kakko isn't a great young prospect. He looks like a phenomenal young player and I'd love to have either here.

The size strength gets brought up a lot, and it does matter in the NHL. There are just certain times where you throw rules out with certain players. Hughes is that level of player. When Hughes enters the league he will measure out around 5'11" 175-180lbs... the 3rd highest scoring center in the NHL is 5'10" 165lbs... There will be lumps for the kid, but he's gonna be just fine in the NHL next year.

Reactions: Tommy G

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

Wouldn't a shorter person have a lower center of gravity?
:thumbu: Petterson is 6'2 and will undoubtedly fill out , hughes is 5'9 and will never be a big guy . If I'm try i g to push someone around I'm picking the short twerp :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
tumblr_oym7uh0Ob61v7ypcqo1_400.gif

Reactions: henchman21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad