Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
For me any of Kakko, Hughes, Byram, Cozens, Turcotte or Krebs and I'm good.

Knight or Matthew Robertson for our own 1st.

Reactions: missionAvs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd agree with this. We've been super stoked about our defense before, and been happy with the prospects we've had only for them to become disappointments. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to really build on that. If those prospects are actually as good as they seem, they become trade fodder or someone on the roster does.

The uncertainty over Timmins after his long concussion rehab has put a different light on the future of the defense.

Along with Makar, he was probably the Avs best D prospect since Shattenkirk. His post draft year with the Greyhounds and dominant all around game at the WJC made him an even more promising prospect than Bigras was.

Drafting a D or perhaps Knight in goal if they're really high on him should probably be the aim from a needs perspective with the Avs pick if it ends up mid round.

Reactions: avsfan09

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
No matter what our team needs are, we have to pick BPA. Anything else is a huge mistake.

That said, it would be pretty good if our BPA fell in a way that allowed us to take a high end offensive forward with Ottawa's pick, a big, mobile two-way Defender with Ottawa's pick, a slick offensive defender with our 2nd rounder, a big sized goalie with Ottawa's 3rd, and then a two-way forward with our own 3rd.

Feel like that would check all the boxes of things this organization should be keeping tabs on, and would do so in the first 80 picks of the draft meaning we should get a pretty good player for each area.

Coming out of the draft with something like:

Kappo Kakko - Ottawa 1st
Matthew Robertson - Colorado 1st
Ville Heinola - Colorado 2nd
Insert Best Goalie Prospect available - Ottawa 3rd
Henri Nikkanen - Colorado 3rd

Something like this would check all the boxes. Though I think its quite wishful thinking for Heinola to be available in the 2nd round. Kids stock has risen quite a lot this season with the way he played in the Junior Finnish league, earned himself a shot in the mens league, did extremely well in that and carried it over to a solid performance in the World Juniors. Perhaps his latest injury will keep his stock around that of the mid 2nd round.

TBH I wouldn't even be against us packaging our own 2nd(Lets say 47th) + Our own 3rd(Would be 78) to get into the ~35th range and taking Heinola in that spot.

Every year I think I get more and more infatuated with the Finnish development system. The talent they're producing for a country of just 5 million people is astonishing. And it's gonna carry over again this year with Kakko and Heinola.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Too much debate, there is only 1 real answer here.. Peyton Krebs. Why?

This team needs any energy production it can get. What better way to do that than dig deep into the mitochondria?

ATP baby. Peyton Krebs cycle can give us the advantage.
I think you are the only one besides myself that has ever mentioned Krebs. With that being said there are many other answers than him with the OTT 1st. I keep bringing him up with the eventuality we are in the 5-10 spots.

As for BPA vs Need argument I think we are at a point right now that because we should be able to address our high-end FWD/C need with the OTT pick, we could address another need with Knight or a guy like Robertson. Usually I always agree with BPA strategy but in our current situation I find goalie and LHD depth is weak in our system so if the difference at our pick between a FWD and these two guys is fairly close, I would be more than OK with the Avs passing on the BPA to try to fill other holes. On the left side we really have only Z and Girard. It is so hard to trade for a dman nowadays that when a good one ends up close to your BPA I feel like you have to go for it. If the difference is too big maybe trade back to make the pick. Harley would be another good pick.

Just my 2 cents for our current situation.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Krebs isn't even on my radar for the Ottawa pick.

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Podkolzin
Dach

Are the 6 I'd want, in that order.
I just don't see it like others do with Podkolzin. I see him more in the 10-15 range because he seems to disappear too often.

I find Krebs underrated in this draft. He does it all for a very weak team. He might take a little longer to make an impact but in a redraft I think he will be higher than where he is currently rated. However I understand I am higher on him than most.

In the end I don't think the Avs can go wrong with any of these guys (maybe except Podkolzin IMO) so I'll be happy regardless.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont expect the Avs to take Podkolzin and I actually expect him to wind up going closer to 10 then 3. But it has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with the Russian factor.

He's got elite offensive upside IMO. He's young and consistency will need to improve for him but the talent is so obviously there. I think he's definitely the 3rd most talented player in the draft but will go around 7-9.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Krebs isn't even on my radar for the Ottawa pick.

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Podkolzin
Dach

Are the 6 I'd want, in that order.

I think Byram should be on there around Cozens. As much as we need a 2C we need another potential top pairing guy, and I know Timmins and Makar can be that but the more bullets you have the more likely you are to hit the target. But overall I’d agree with your list and premise.

Reactions: LTC Pain

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Something about Dach just doesnt do it for me. I need to watch more of Podkolzin he seems like a fun player to keep track of.

Reactions: shadow1

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
His point is that by the time a goalie, even one as talented as Knight, reaches the NHL, that GM might not still have his job. GMs of non-playoff teams tend to favor short-term moves that increase their job security, which is one of many reasons why forwards tend to get taken higher than other positions.

Exactly. Maybe teams believe Knight is so good that he'll have a Price-like path and will be the NHL at the age of 20/21 but if not, it might be tough to use a top 10-15 pick on him. It'll be great for the Avs if it's the latter because they could possibly get him with their second 1st round pick. I'll have to see the Avs actually take a goalie high to believe it though.

Reactions: shadow1

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byram should be on this list

I think Byram should be on there around Cozens. As much as we need a 2C we need another potential top pairing guy, and I know Timmins and Makar can be that but the more bullets you have the more likely you are to hit the target. But overall I’d agree with your list and premise.

Nah, at least not in my books.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How I see it there are 5 guys with franchise potential in the draft, 3 forwards, 1 defenseman and 1 goalie. Obviously, even though he is an amazing talent Knight won't go in the top 5 or probably even 10, but should be drafted in the middle of 1st round. To me the top of the draft looks like this:

1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Turcotte
  4. Byram
  5. Cozens

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Man, how sick would a top-6 of Makar, Byram, Girard, Timmins, Zadorov, Barrie be?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If the lottery went exactly as the standings are right now we’d be picking 1st and 14th overall.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

All 10 scouts still have Hughes #1.

Also......

Goaltender Spencer Knight is No. 19 and the clear choice as the top stopper in this draft, a potential franchise player at his position. There are those associated with USA Hockey who believe the 6-foot-3, 197-pound elite athlete is on a trajectory to become one of the best American goalies ever. All 10 scouts surveyed by TSN ranked Knight a first rounder; half of them had him in their Top 15 and one as high as No. 7.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
But he plays in a kiddie league!!! IMO Kakko is a franchise level prospect, and a clear #2... he just isn't Hughes. At the rate the Avs are going though... we will get both.
He sure does!
And we shouldn't believe Bob. He's starting to fall of the cliff due to his age.
But like you said it don't matter. We will get both KK&JH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad