Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You're right. Drafting a forward would more likely end up in being an NHL player.
Spencer Knight (which is the guy we were discussing) has a better chance to become an NHLer than any skater left at ~15.

But more than that, he also has a good chance at becoming an elite starter. We're not talking Calvin Pickard or Justus Annunen here. Not all pre-draft goalies are equal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Any concern about Turcotte's style of play lending itself to injury? Or did he just get unlucky?

He puts himself in dangerous situations consistently and can be blown up... I don't think it is a long-term issue though as a lot of young players go through that.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks guys. Hopefully he can grow out of that without it hurting his game, like Landy did, but I can't say it doesn't worry me.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Talent wise I think he is #3 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the best player in the draft. Just a prototype of a two-way #1C in the making. Personally, he and Byram fit the best on our team looking at needs, so I wouldn’t mind a #3 and #4 pick.

Reactions: cgf and AllAboutAvs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
By the time Makar needs a new contract, EJ will have only one more year on his current deal.

But let's see, assuming Makar becomes a Norris D:

Makar - 11M
EJ - 6M
Girard - 5M
Zadorov - 3.75M
--------------

That would still leave us with around 4M for 2 bottom pairing guys... not bad.

I love Zads and still believe in him so if Cale does become Norris caliber I’ll probably be happy with that top 3...but even if French Nic is one of those bottom pairing guys you have splitting 4M, that bottom 3 looks worrying.

Especially since we still wouldn’t be able to afford a bottom 6 with 30M on the blueline, 30M on the top line, 20M on the second line, and two goalies still to pay for...

Which is exactly the problem that I am worried about; paying for a cup caliber core in the mid 20s being very likely to make maintaining cup caliber depth behind them infeasible for a handful of years.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Talent wise I think he is #3 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the best player in the draft. Just a prototype of a two-way #1C in the making. Personally, he and Byram fit the best on our team looking at needs, so I wouldn’t mind a #3 and #4 pick.

I still love Podkolzin & can’t help but be intrigued by Cozens’ tools if the lotto gods don’t grant us Hughes/Kakko, but I think those two are next on my wishlist if we keep the pick. I was really intrigued by the skill, skating & two-way potential of Turcotte when i first started reading about these kids & Byram ticks so many boxes for me. Just worry about Turcotte adjusting his game & timelines with Byram.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I agree with this. I would add Cozens to those two as a very good fit for the Avs.

Zegras and Krebs would also be very good fit but they are in another tier by a bit. Krebs is winning me over every game he plays though. So much compete in him and he basically alone on that team and still producing a lot. I heard he hates to lose. Much of the top players do but apparently it is very strong with him. We could use top-end players with that attitude.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I've said it before... Cozens reminds me of a young Mark Scheifele. That's who I'd take at #3, but he might be 2-3 seasons away from really making a large impact.
I agree. Earlier I had this as my preference for top-4:
Kakko/Hughes
Cozens
Turcotte

I could add Byram below Turcotte but I had him with the other tier consisting of Zegras and Krebs.

I agree that Cozens could be 2-3 years to make a large impact but he could help next season as the 3C (if we keep Soda as the 2C) or 3W with Soda back as the 3C. Let's assume Sakic makes a move for a #2C in the offseason. A 3rd line of Cozens - Soda - Compher could be very good and ease Cozens in the NHL. I really really like Cozens. Great fit for the Avs.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I've said it before... Cozens reminds me of a young Mark Scheifele. That's who I'd take at #3, but he might be 2-3 seasons away from really making a large impact.
But does Cozens have the same burning desire to know everything about hockey? Honestly, it seems like Scheifele’s super fandom of the sport helped to mold him into the player he is now.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Thx GTG. What round do you think he will be taken? We have quite a few big goalies now in our system so I wouldn't mind if they took a flyer on a smaller one this time around. He has great numbers but on a very good team.

Wrt Werner...Do you have a chance to watch him sometimes? He has very good numbers this year. Has he turned the corner? I suspect he will be coming over to the Eagles next season. NHL potential?

He's doing really well in the USHL but he is a late birthday plus the size so I see him as a 4th round pick. Maybe 3rd round if a team believes he won't be there later on.

When I saw Werner play for San Antonio last year it looked like he was at least on the path of becoming a legitimate NHL prospect. I do hope he is in the AHL next season as there will be space for him. Chance we see him in a game or two for the Eagles this year as well. If he comes to the AHL next season we'll be expecting him to make the NHL in his 4th or 5th season here in North America. That's if he's going to make the NHL at all so still a long road ahead for Werner. It's rare for a goalie who is joining the AHL in their DY+5 season to make the NHL in 1-2 seasons.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He's doing really well in the USHL but he is a late birthday plus the size so I see him as a 4th round pick. Maybe 3rd round if a team believes he won't be there later on.

When I saw Werner play for San Antonio last year it looked like he was at least on the path of becoming a legitimate NHL prospect. I do hope he is in the AHL next season as there will be space for him. Chance we see him in a game or two for the Eagles this year as well. If he comes to the AHL next season we'll be expecting him to make the NHL in his 4th or 5th season here in North America. That's if he's going to make the NHL at all so still a long road ahead for Werner. It's rare for a goalie who is joining the AHL in their DY+5 season to make the NHL in 1-2 seasons.
Thx a lot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I can see it, but he won't come close to Schiefele's offencive potency. If Schiefele has enough talent to be a PPG, then Cozen is more in the 50 to 60 point range - same as Nolan Patrick, but Cozens does so many different things which leads to wins. Patrick was a beast defencive player in the WHL, but I've been quite disappointed in that regard thus far in the pros (he's looking like Tyson Jost where you were told Jonathan Toews 2.0 and so far neither have been any of that).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can see it, but he won't come close to Schiefele's offencive potency. If Schiefele has enough talent to be a PPG, then Cozen is more in the 50 to 60 point range - same as Nolan Patrick, but Cozens does so many different things which leads to wins. Patrick was a beast defencive player in the WHL, but I've been quite disappointed in that regard thus far in the pros (he's looking like Tyson Jost where you were told Jonathan Toews 2.0 and so far neither have been any of that).

I think that is selling Cozens' offense a little short. If we are going more traditional I see him as a 60-70 point kind of a guy... with this scoring uptick, that could add 10-20%.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think that is selling Cozens' offense a little short. If we are going more traditional I see him as a 60-70 point kind of a guy... with this scoring uptick, that could add 10-20%.
He doesn't have Schiefele's shot, vision, nor playmaking. It's not that those are bad areas for Cozen, but he's not on his level. And that's okay, he's still a solid prospect and he might realistically become a 60 point player if scoring decides to stay where it's at in the NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He doesn't have Schiefele's shot, vision, nor playmaking. It's not that those are bad areas for Cozen, but he's not on his level. And that's okay, he's still a solid prospect and he might realistically become a 60 point player if scoring decides to stay where it's at in the NHL.

IMO Cozens' is more developed in those areas than Schiefele was in 2011.

Reactions: avsfan09

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
IMO Cozens' is more developed in those areas than Schiefele was in 2011.
I don't see it, especially in the shot category. I think a lot of Cozens game comes from his super competitive nature and that is a positive for me, however, I think it also shows a limit in talent. He's this years Landeskog IMHO, more talented players will be picked after him, but there is something special in his game which teams' love.

FTR I hope you're right, I would love to see someone with Schiefele's potential in this draft beyond Hughes and Kakko.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Does defensive ability ever translate when it comes to offensive players? Maybe I just don't have the context, but I think even Duchene got some love for his defensive game prior to being drafted lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Does defensive ability ever translate when it comes to offensive players? Maybe I just don't have the context, but I think even Duchene got some love for his defensive game prior to being drafted lol.
The problem is that (depending on who you talk to of course) for me, Patrick never had elite talent in any offencive category. He was ranked that high throughout the season because was a complete package of offencive and defencive ability. Compared to Duchene who always had elite offencive talent, but he wasn't known to have as good of two-way ability compared to Landeskog, RNH, or Patrick for example.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The problem is that (depending on who you talk to of course) for me, Patrick never had elite talent in any offencive category. He was ranked that high throughout the season because was a complete package of offencive and defencive ability. Compared to Duchene who always had elite offencive talent, but he wasn't known to have as good of two-way ability compared to Landeskog, RNH, or Patrick for example.

Yeah that makes sense, it just seems like defensive ability in junior often does not translate in any meaningful way when it comes to top six forward type of picks. Again though, I'm kind of judging the yard from one window in the house if you know what I mean lol.

I was curious if you thought there was anything to that. I know with certain guys it does like Landeskog and Barkov, but it just seems like unless it is a almost pinnacle point of their skill set you can't rely on it.

Reactions: S E P H

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not sure if others will agree, but Byram and Turcotte seem like franchise players to me. Byram is playing ridiculous right now, dominating both ends of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad