Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This U18 is going to fascinating with all of the possible showcasing going on. It always seems that strong showings at it drive late season pushes up the rankings.

When does it officially start? Too bad Dach is injured, would've been great to see all these top ten guys head to head.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Turcotte is a poor mans Nathan MacKinnon, I like Krebs. But there’s no debate if both are on the board for me.

Krebs has gotten slightly overrated in this thread. Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan of the player and would be happy drafting him. M I just think expectations and the legend of Krebs might be going a bit far and expectations need to be realistic.

Edwards and Hockey Prospect has him at 6 right now. Ahead of Dach and Cozens. Edwards’ black book is among the best draft resources out there. The HP team is well respected in professional scouting circles.

There’s no legend of Krebs generated from this thread.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Edwards and Hockey Prospect has him at 6 right now. Ahead of Dach and Cozens. Edwards’ black book is among the best draft resources out there. The HP team is well respected in professional scouting circles.

There’s no legend of Krebs generated from this thread.

I never said he wasn’t worthy of a top pick did I? I was talking about the intangibles getting a bit overhyped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Turcotte is a poor mans Nathan MacKinnon, I like Krebs. But there’s no debate if both are on the board for me.

Krebs has gotten slightly overrated in this thread. Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan of the player and would be happy drafting him. M I just think expectations and the legend of Krebs might be going a bit far and expectations need to be realistic.

Curious how you see Turcotte as a poor man's MacKinnon?

I have a slightly better version of ROR for Turcotte at that age.

I don't think anybody's really overrating Krebs on these boards. He's a guy that should be on the board around where we pick, I would expect his name, much like Dach, Cozens, and others ranked around where we pick, to come up a lot since he's valid option where we are picking. There's no point for Buffalo fans to be talking much about Kakko or Hughes seeing as we have no chance to draft them.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
There’s really only one player the Sabres could realistically draft at 7th that would drive me bonkers.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He doesn’t hate Canadians. He prefers to draft from the NCAA or overseas in later rounds because the team retains rights longer.

If Dahlin was Canadian and played for the London Knights, he was still going to be the pick.
But that is still very bad because it's a bias that will work against getting the best talent. If you are averse to selecting players from a certain group you are narrowing the pool of players you can choose from.

Reactions: Digable5

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Are these U18's streamed by the IIHF or anywhere?

Really cool how pretty much every potential pick for us is eligible and playing in the tournament this year.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Maybe I have just had my hopes dashed too often but I do not see a top F or top D coming out of this draft for us. Maybe a middling second liner in 3 0r 4 years. So different from what I have thought in previous years. On the other hand maybe it is because I have not seen many of these guys live and scouting reports often dwell on the warts.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Saying he doesnt select Canadians was tongue in cheek, saying he doesnt select from Canadian Leagues has been nothing but true and both Dach and Krebs are in Canadian Leagues so I highly doubt either get drafted.
Well, I'll just leave it at this. If Botterill is actually leaving better players on the table over an issue with the league they currently play in, he's a damn fool and deserves to be fired for cause. I don't personally believe that to be true.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
U18s are on TSN I will tape and watch later. Hope I get something out of them and the Memorial Cup play downs.

DON VITO

Mar 19, 2014
Germany
Moritz Seider plays later at the DEL (German Top Leaguge) Final Game 1 between Mannheim Eagels -Red Bull Munich. For those who wanna watch it, i look for a legal stream. Maybe it shows at the Sport1.de Webside. Game starts in 2 hours.

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This is the worst anti-BPA argument ever...

I don't think it's a BPA argument. If you're past round 3 (ish, depending on the depth of each year), and you've got prospects ranked similarly, it does make sense to go NCAA or Europe.

That said, that fact that Botterill has gone without drafting from the CHL for two whole drafts is weird.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think it's a BPA argument. If you're past round 3 (ish, depending on the depth of each year), and you've got prospects ranked similarly, it does make sense to go NCAA or Europe.

That said, that fact that Botterill has gone without drafting from the CHL for two whole drafts is weird.

And it's not like they blocked Pekar from going up to the OHL. It's just the years of control as a factor in weighing development decisions is interesting. At this point it is still too early to tell if it is hurting them or not, or even if it is an active vs. passive practice. If they have people with similar grades, taking the longer-term years of control makes some sense as an advantage to that player.

I feel dirty now that I have defended a tactic of both Botterill and Regier. Someone bring me some bleach. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Grinder81

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
And it's not like they blocked Pekar from going up to the OHL. It's just the years of control as a factor in weighing development decisions is interesting. At this point it is still too early to tell if it is hurting them or not, or even if it is an active vs. passive practice. If they have people with similar grades, taking the longer-term years of control makes some sense as an advantage to that player.

I feel dirty now that I have defended a tactic of both Botterill and Regier. Someone bring me some bleach. :biglaugh:

It's OK. Just get some soap with grit in it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It may also be that the voices in the scouting scrum for the CHL leagues aren't as loud as the group for Scandinavia -- who have found some good players -- or the college/collegiate prep league guys. The dynamics of the scouting staff haven't really settled yet after the purge and new hires over the last few seasons.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It HAS to be part of the approach to building a pipeline. It can't be the WHOLE approach...
We don't have enough information yet, really, to know whether or not it's the whole approach. It's a possibility that this is a fluid approach where Botterill, in his first few drafts, focused on NCAA and Europe drafted players to build up a base of prospects for which they have the luxury of longer development time. The defense-heavy nature of last draft would also make sense in that context. Then, once a sort of base is built up, they can diversify the types of players they draft. I'm not saying that this is necessarily Botterill's approach, we have no way of knowing one way or another, or that it's necessarily the right approach, but it makes more sense than eschewing CHL players altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad