Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Over-agers... who ya got? Obviously Leason who is a D+2 is getting picked, and probably late 1st round.

Watching Frolunda again, and Samuel Fagemo seems like a good bet to be late 2nd/early 3rd territory. He's a touch small at 5'11" but the kid gets it against pros. His U20's wasn't noteworthy (though I think he's on DerJaeger's list of notable players to watch from months ago), but he's still playing well in the SHL playoffs. He's got a lot of Olofsson to his game - shooting release and accuracy are top notch.

Slepets had a great U20 and he's in the CSB European at 17 but is this going to be someone who makes the jump to Buffalo to stomp on the tradition of Sabre Russian avoidance? I don't think so.

Anybody else stick out to you? Would they get familial with Tyce Thompson? ;)

Edit - Totally forgot Carter Berger who plays with Newhook and stands out to me as the sort of offensively skilled blueline for the modern NHL. He knows how to finish plays off, how to get the puck to dangerous areas of the ice... just love his game.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I like most of these guys in that 3-10 range, but im having a hard time loving any of them. Dach is probably my favourite, I think his upside is a franchise centre.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I like most of these guys in that 3-10 range, but im having a hard time loving any of them. Dach is probably my favourite, I think his upside is a franchise centre.
This is probably just over exposure and the fact that they’re so all close. I’d put this 3-10 up against any 3-10 (pre draft) in the past 15 years. 2015 is the closest comparison. I really like all of these guys. Dach is maybe my least favorite and I’d be excited to get him. That’s where I’m at.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Botterill manages to get 2/3 C, then maybe we don't need to develop on the draft center, you can go for the winger, or just take the best player.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
If Botterill manages to get 2/3 C, then maybe we don't need to develop on the draft center, you can go for the winger, or just take the best player.
We should be taking BPA no matter what. Whoever we draft at seven is unlikely to help this roster next season.

If the fan base wants to compete next year than we should be acquiring a 2/3C and just draft BPA.

Reactions: Vito_81

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We should be taking BPA no matter what. Whoever we draft at seven is unlikely to help this roster next season.

If the fan base wants to compete next year than we should be acquiring a 2/3C and just draft BPA.
I agree, except that God knows who there best player, this draft is very smooth and deep.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I agree, except that God knows who there best player, this draft is very smooth and deep.
I just mean have trust in the staff. Put your list together and go by it. If for some reason Byram is there at seven and we have him ranked higher than others but take someone else because they’re a center that is the wrong thing to do.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Concencus draft lists are flat out wrong this year. This is an absolute scatter gun from 3-12.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I think the plan is always to take the best player. It just worked out this year that the guys in the range of our first pick are nearly all forwards and mostly centers.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Just seen him in the u18 final but Alnefelt got the moves and luck of a special goalkeeper.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Ill admit I was wrong on Boldy before the U18’s. I didn’t really want to like him, but that kid really does have the look of a top line elite winger in the NHL. Not just a dime a dozen 30 goal scoring 50 point guy when paired with an elite centre. He looks like he could be a big time assist guy too, he can dish the puck and has sick puck skills in tight.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Ill admit I was wrong on Boldy before the U18’s. I didn’t really want to like him, but that kid really does have the look of a top line elite winger in the NHL. Not just a dime a dozen 30 goal scoring 50 point guy when paired with an elite centre. He looks like he could be a big time assist guy too, he can dish the puck and has sick puck skills in tight.

I have changed my tune on him as well. Still not my ideal choice at #7 but would definitely prefer him to Cozens/Zegras there.

Reactions: jc17

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This is why I said I have no pressure with where we would end up. We’re going to get a good player. It will just depend on what we are addressing. Of course, I’ve got my favorites, but I’m not going to be upset if they don’t get picked. I’m more interested with what they do with the other picks.

Looking forward to the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->