Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Hey, I have Caufield in the #7-#15 range. So it's not a matter of me not liking him, or pretending small players haven't been better prospects, but it's the usual talk of guys that would be catapulted into the top 5 when he's been in the the #11-#20 range for the year all because of a great short term tournament.
Honestly, Caufield has been great all season long.

Edit: My bad, I took a cursory glance at your post and misread it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Ya I’m easily taking Caufield over Zegras/Boldy at this point. Also, I feel way better about picking 7th then I did on lottery night.

I also think Caufield and Newhook are part of that second tier come draft day.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
How comfortable I’d be with Caufield at 7 is directly dependent on how comfortable I am with Casey Mittelstadt as a center long term. f*** Botts again for not just having Ryan O’Reilly so every draft could just be BPA for a decade. You have to get a center, I think, because I just don’t see Mittelstadt settling in the middle.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No its the part where we stop pretending small players havent been better prospects the whole time as we watch them skate circles around them for another day.
This is somewhat true, I wanted Debrincat but we took Asplund, I wanted Jeremy Bracco yet this team takes Guhle.

Now the teams who took a chance on them on are loving it, you all see Debrincat and now Bracco broke out with 79 points in 75 games in the AHL.

Small players are thriving more than ever in this NHL era.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This is somewhat true, I wanted Debrincat but we took Asplund, I wanted Jeremy Bracco yet this team takes Guhle.

Now the teams who took a chance on them on are loving it, you all see Debrincat and now Bracco broke out with 79 points in 75 games in the AHL.

Small players are thriving more than ever in this NHL era.

I don’t think that’s true at all... the 70s-80s has far more high end to top end “small” guys...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don’t think that’s true at all... the 70s-80s has far more high end to top end “small” guys...
That's before my time and I'll take your word for it. I was judging from mid 90's til now when everyone was looking for the big power forward, a term we dont really hear anymore to describe a player or at least I dont hear or read it much anymore.

I feel Rick Nash was the last stereotypical Power Forward.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That's before my time and I'll take your word for it. I was judging from mid 90's til now when everyone was looking for the big power forward, a term we dont really hear anymore to describe a player.

I mean it’s still like 5-6 guys who matter:

Marchand and Gaudreau being the high end stars... anyone notice Gaudreau has zero goals for the 2nd playoff year in a row?

Then you’ve got Atkinson, Marchessault, Zuccs, and Arvidsson on the high end scale. Good players...

Then Debrincat is that sustainable?

And that’s basically it... Tyler Johnson, Gallagher, Gourde are relevant I guess

It’s not a huge group of success....

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I know the 1sts are to be the talk of the town until draft day, but on the 3rd round (67), if Blake Murray makes it, take a swing.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Marchand and Gaudreau being the high end stars... anyone notice Gaudreau has zero goals for the 2nd playoff year in a row?

Then you’ve got Atkinson, Marchessault, Zuccs, and Arvidsson on the high end scale. Good players...

And that’s basically it... Tyler Johnson, Gallagher, Gourde are relevant I guess

I'm not trying to say all small players are good or small players are completely taking over the game but the fact that small players often fall in the draft due to their size is not something we should underestimate these days anymore.

Toronto almost passed over Marner just because of his size, if it wasn't for Mark Hunter going to bat and vouching for him Toronto probably would have passed on him.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If you read Nolan Foote's scouting report, and then read an old one on Jamie Benn, you'll be shocked at the similarities.

upload_2019-4-20_18-24-20.jpeg

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

Gaudreu no points is a key to this draft and the concept of how hockey is played with less fighting or enforcers..

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
What would it cost to move up to 4 or 5 to grab Turcotte, assuming Colorado doesnt take Turcotte at 4 you absolutely have to move up to 5 to grab him because the Kings will?

Its moving 2 or 3 spots so it's not like a massive gap.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Gaudreu no points is a key to this draft and the concept of how hockey is played with less fighting or enforcers..
Isolating playoff performance of one player to try and push a bad narrative that small guys dont have an impact is a poor look.......

Sabres cant even make the playoffs but Gaudreu could at least help them get there. Let's also not overlook Marner and Marchand during these playoffs.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If you read Nolan Foote's scouting report, and then read an old one on Jamie Benn, you'll be shocked at the similarities.
If foote isn't our 2nd 1st round pick with how he has fallen I'll be pissed. If someone takes him earlier good on them. I'm just saying if we pass on him...

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Isolating playoff performance of one player to try and push a bad narrative that small guys dont have an impact is a poor look.......

Sabres cant even make the playoffs but Gaudreu could at least help them get there. Let's also not overlook Marner and Marchand during these playoffs.

It's like saying "Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh got swept so having good players is a detriment in the NHL."

Reactions: Sabre the Win

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

Haven’t watched Flames exit just threw out there as the other games seemed to be about defending and being physical.against possession (Tampa, I thought we had a good blueprint defending Tampa early). The same recipe we couldn’t overcome during the season... Do they protect Johnny and is he more easily thrown off puck etc as intensity increases?.... I agree any talented kid could have help us get to the playoffs.. How does Caulfield stack up to Ennis.to him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad