Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One thing I will say for the meds... I am fully on board with Podkolzin at 7 if he is there, history and trends be damned. Okay, so I do want to see him at the U18's again, but watching shift videos... I can imagine him driving his own line or meshing with either Jack or Casey or Sam to score power style goals from high traffic areas.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
One thing I will say for the meds... I am fully on board with Podkolzin at 7 if he is there, history and trends be damned. Okay, so I do want to see him at the U18's again, but watching shift videos... I can imagine him driving his own line or meshing with either Jack or Casey or Sam to score power style goals from high traffic areas.

Same here - that’s why I was asking the boards. I have a bit of the old Tim Murray penchant for staying away from Russians, but he seems to have a pretty high ceiling for a 7OA pick. Those shift videos from the tourney make him look pretty amazing.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Too much of a solo actor for me (given the talent that will be available at 7)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Same here - that’s why I was asking the boards. I have a bit of the old Tim Murray penchant for staying away from Russians, but he seems to have a pretty high ceiling for a 7OA pick. Those shift videos from the tourney make him look pretty amazing.

Some of the stat-heads I read/watch are warm to him as a pick as well.
Something was off for endorsing Nichkushkinininwhatf***isthespellingofhisnameagain in his draft year, I have no such fear for Podkolzin.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

It’s a no brainer really.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Krebs at 10 for CS NA skaters. Way low. Hoping he drops outside 10 and Botterill has the foresight to trade up from his second pick and take him. If he doesn't take him at 7, that is.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
ESPN's Chris Peters out with his second mock draft this morning. Has Buffalo taking Zegras at #7 (passing on Turcotte, among others) and Edmonton Oil Kings D Matthew Robertson with their second pick, which he has at #28 right now - it appears he has SJS at 28 because they had the second best regular season record in that conference.

2019 NHL mock draft 2.0: How Kaapo Kakko jump-starts the Rangers' rebuild

I am kind of expecting Best USNTDP player available at 7.

I would prefer Turcotte over Zegras in that spot.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Krebs at 10 for CS NA skaters. Way low. Hoping he drops outside 10 and Botterill has the foresight to trade up from his second pick and take him. If he doesn't take him at 7, that is.

If I'm at #7 with Krebs on the board, I'm going up there and taking him regardless of where he's rated. He's exactly what I want in my next wave of Sabres players. I'm not worried about whether if someone is choosing a better player later (at this point of the draft I don't think the talent level gap is that large (3-10)), I'm more worried about getting the right player. Krebs is exactly what I want in a player. Now if Turcotte is there with Krebs, then that would give me pause a little, but most likely Turcotte is my choice.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm loving all of the mocks that have Turcotte available when we pick! I don't buy it for one second but it does give me hope.

Krebs will play wing in the NHL, like Marner, so that could be impacting his ranking.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If I'm at #7 with Krebs on the board, I'm going up there and taking him regardless of where he's rated. He's exactly what I want in my next wave of Sabres players. I'm not worried about whether if someone is choosing a better player later (at this point of the draft I don't think the talent level gap is that large (3-10)), I'm more worried about getting the right player. Krebs is exactly what I want in a player. Now if Turcotte is there with Krebs, then that would give me pause a little, but most likely Turcotte is my choice.

seconded verbatim

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Fun little stat:

Points per game
Cozens 1.20
Dach 1.13
Krebs 1.09

% of team points involved in
Cozens 35%
Dach 29%
Krebs 38%

Reactions: Mitts888

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Krebs will play wing in the NHL, like Marner, so that could be impacting his ranking.

Krebs played center this entire year for Kootenay. He played LW last year for the Ice since it was his first year and he was broke in on the wing. He's a natural center with the ability to player wing. Which is exactly what we want in a forward.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Krebs played center this entire year for Kootenay. He played LW last year for the Ice since it was his first year and he was broke in on the wing. He's a natural center with the ability to player wing. Which is exactly what we want in a forward.

I definitely am on board with drafting him even as a winger, so no sales pitch needed. I’d obviously be fine with him staying at center too, it’s just my projection that may or may not turn out to be correct.

I feel like a handful of the centers in the top 10 this year are likely to end up at wing, but obviously that depends on a lot of factors.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Fun little stat:

Points per game
Cozens 1.20
Dach 1.13
Krebs 1.09

Cozens 35%
Dach 29%
Krebs 38%

It’s clear watching him play a full game that he doesn’t have much to work with as far as wingers go. Imagine how many more goals he’d have scored with someone to set him up once in a while

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder what his % of team goals involved in is for the games he played in this season with Sioux City.

He was in on 36% of all their goals and he played in just 43 of 62 games.

Over 50% in the games he played in was what I heard.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Fun little stat:

Points per game
Cozens 1.20
Dach 1.13
Krebs 1.09

Cozens 35%
Dach 29%
Krebs 38%

I made a similar post a few weeks ago. To play devils advocate, if Krebs were in Lethbridge or Saskatoon I don’t think he’d at 38%. If anything, Cozens being in on 38% of his teams points on a good team is equally impressive.

Reactions: Goathead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad