The 2019-20 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Would Schneider have been good if he still was a Canuck?

Hard to say, he had 3 good seasons in New Jersey then injuries derailed him (hip I think?). So the question is would he have had the same injury history had he stayed in Vancouver? Schneider probably also missed out on 3-4 seasons as a 1A starter by having the misfortune of playing behind HoF goalies.

In regards to New Jersey though, not paying attention to them but looking at the stats I'd think Blackwood is the bigger let down. Schneider isn't expected to be good anymore, they were probably more counting on the kid who had 21 starts and a .918 sv% last year... which maybe wasn't he best plan considering he's only 22. Though that's a year old than Carter Hart in Philly.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Hard to say, he had 3 good seasons in New Jersey then injuries derailed him (hip I think?). So the question is would he have had the same injury history had he stayed in Vancouver? Schneider probably also missed out on 3-4 seasons as a 1A starter by having the misfortune of playing behind HoF goalies.

In regards to New Jersey though, not paying attention to them but looking at the stats I'd think Blackwood is the bigger let down. Schneider isn't expected to be good anymore, they were probably more counting on the kid who had 21 starts and a .918 sv% last year... which maybe wasn't he best plan considering he's only 22. Though that's a year old than Carter Hart in Philly.

That defense is a lot to be desired. PK Subban is not the defensemen he once was in Montreal and his early years in Nashville. He can excite the fans with his charismatic charm and swagger but his defense is terrible.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Schneider got derailed by injuries. He was a top-5 goalie for the three years after we traded him. Jersey wasting his first season by keeping him as a backup behind Brodeur was insane.

Gotta feel bad for a guy who turned out to be an early bloomer, only to be stuck behind the two best goalies of this era through his prime. He's only 33 now, but because of injuries it would be shocking if he's in the league after his contract is up in two years. Think it's 50/50 that he even finishes out the contract.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
did you just say it is way better to overestimate a player based on no nhl games than to underestimate one based on some games?

what?
He's saying you can project a player based on his history over a few seasons' worth of data. It takes more than a sample size of merely 4 games to overturn that projection.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I mean if we had any semblance of cap flexibility we would be able to take advantage of situations like this.

do we want fiala? we already have a talented 5' 11" swiss left winger in the ahl. i am kind of of the mind we don't have to chase every talented but has issues player on the market right now.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
do we want fiala? we already have a talented 5' 11" swiss left winger in the ahl. i am kind of of the mind we don't have to chase every talented but has issues player on the market right now.
Fiala is much more advanced then Baertschi was at the same age. His 21 and 22 year old seasons are better than any season Baertschi has ever put up.

He probably doesn't fit with what Green/Benning are trying to build here, but he's a very talented young player who likely doesn't have the same favour on his new team since the GM who just traded for him was fired.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Fiala is a player you absolutely take a chance on, especially for healthy scratch prices.
And you're a moron if you dont really..

Reactions: 420Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You wonder if you could do a Virtanen-Fiala swap of underperforming high 2014 draft picks.
Proposed this earlier this morning after seeing Fiala was scratched. He doesn't fit the style Green/Benning want, but even the big bad Blues have guys like Schwarz/Perron/Fabbri.

Already put up a 23 goal season too.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Fiala is much more advanced then Baertschi was at the same age. His 21 and 22 year old seasons are better than any season Baertschi has ever put up.

He probably doesn't fit with what Green/Benning are trying to build here, but he's a very talented young player who likely doesn't have the same favour on his new team since the GM who just traded for him was fired.

well we already have baertschi. and he would be in the lineup if his defence was better.

fiala can't make the lineup of a bad team with top 6 vacancies that is 1 and 5 and in need of offence. he was -11 last year with the preds and then -12 with minny in only 19 games.

unless you can trade him for baertschi i cannot see why logically this team would look at him. we do not need two of them.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
well we already have baertschi. and he would be in the lineup if his defence was better.

fiala can't make the lineup of a bad team with top 6 vacancies that is 1 and 5 and in need of offence. he was -11 last year with the preds and then -12 with minny in only 19 games.

unless you can trade him for baertschi i cannot see why logically this team would look at him. we do not need two of them.
Defense has very little to do with Baertschi's lineup place. Do not agree with your statement there. He's not in the lineup because they've got two big ticket UFA's they just signed/traded for who are going to get every opportunity. Like it doesn't make sense that the team used PK as a rationale to keep some of the junk up front, but then they play their two highest paid defensman oodles on the PK. That to me is an inconsistent application of the strategy and just sounds like a bad excuse to me.

Fiala was 23/45 pt player at 21 on a team that went to the Cup finals. Minnesota is a mess...their top 3 scorers are dmen, and one of them is journeyman, Brad Hunt. I wouldn't base things based on what they're doing.

It's his first healthy scratch since he was 20.

The logic is he's extremely talented and could be an excellent buy-low candidate, especially if it's Jake. Do you watch other teams when they don't play the Canucks?

Baertschi should be on this team right now and the reason he isn't is poor cap management and the coach preferring grinders.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Defense has very little to do with Baertschi's lineup place. Do not agree with your statement there. He's not in the lineup because they've got two big ticket UFA's they just signed/traded for who are going to get every opportunity. Like it doesn't make sense that the team used PK as a rationale to keep some of the junk up front, but then they play their two highest paid defensman oodles on the PK. That to me is an inconsistent application of the strategy and just sounds like a bad excuse to me.

Fiala was 23/45 pt player at 21 on a team that went to the Cup finals. Minnesota is a mess...their top 3 scorers are dmen, and one of them is journeyman, Brad Hunt. I wouldn't base things based on what they're doing.

It's his first healthy scratch since he was 20.

The logic is he's extremely talented and could be an excellent buy-low candidate, especially if it's Jake. Do you watch other teams when they don't play the Canucks?

Baertschi should be on this team right now and the reason he isn't is poor cap management and the coach preferring grinders.

baertschi could be on this team tomorrow by waiving any forward. i don't see the decision as cap management.

if you don't think it is defence / shy play, then maybe it is a combination of that and not wanting to have to manage his contract on ltir for the next two seasons if he gets called up and concussed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
baertschi could be on this team tomorrow by waiving any forward. i don't see the decision as cap management.

if you don't think it is defence / shy play, then maybe it is a combination of that and not wanting to have to manage his contract on ltir for the next two seasons if he gets called up and concussed.
They're running one player short of a full 23 man roster because they're capped out. I think they hoped he was claimed and they were attempting to buy favour in the market place for keeping Gaudette up, even though he's sitting/watching 40% of the time.

I don't think the team knows how to manage the cap or ltir and it's just easier for them this way, plus Travis prefers grinders.

But this is about Fiala. I think he's a reasonable buy low piece, because I think his true talent is not what his numbers are posting in Minnesota, and again, Minnesota is a mess organizationally.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Would Schneider have been good if he still was a Canuck?

He probably would be what he is..

Is the highlight game of his career still his regular season game vs Boston in 2012?
He's never had the mental makeup to be a big game goalie.
Has always battled anxiety issues.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He probably would be what he is..

Is the highlight game of his career still his regular season game vs Boston in 2012?
He's never had the mental makeup to be a big game goalie.
Has always battled anxiety issues.

Schneider was one of the best goalies in the NHL from 2010-2016 and was consistently excellent for the length of that time. Unfortunately, he was trapped behind Luongo/Brodeur or behind an awful NJ team for the length of that time.

Then he hurt his hip, and his career has basically been in an erratic freefall since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad