The 2019-20 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Schneider was one of the best goalies in the NHL from 2010-2016 and was consistently excellent for the length of that time. Unfortunately, he was trapped behind Luongo/Brodeur or behind an awful NJ team for the length of that time.

Then he hurt his hip, and his career has basically been in an erratic freefall since.
I know what his numbers showed... he just always seemed to falter the bigger the game got...

Had to leave gm 6 v Chi with anxiety induced cramps... got lit up in his debut as a #1 goalie... choked the series winner away in the SJ sweep.
Again.. the biggest gm on his resume may just be that return to Boston..

Edit... AV's decision to turn to Schneider in the SJ series while Luongo was playing well just cemented his firing.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Had to leave gm 6 v Chi with anxiety induced cramps... got lit up in his debut as a #1 goalie... choked the series winner away in the SJ sweep.

anixety induced cramps....you got a link for that fake news....I remember the cramps but anxiety induced....

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I know what his numbers showed... he just always seemed to falter the bigger the game got...

Edit... AV's decision to turn to Schneider in the SJ series while Luongo was playing well just cemented his firing. Turned out fittingly to be the last game with Vancouver for the both of them.

I still feel like it was a mistake to not start Schnieder in Boston for Game 4, or arguably Game 6 (although that is so god damned tough because Luongo single handedly won Game 5).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
anixety induced cramps....you got a link for that fake news....I remember the cramps but anxiety induced....

Came from Schneider himself. Talked about how he's always had to battle it thru college. That it was a problem that he would always have, but that he's learned the tools to deal with it.

I'm sure its googlable.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Cory Schneider says his Game Six Cramp in Chicago in 2011 was the result of “Anxiety”

“Physically, we tried everything,” Schneider explained.
“Hydrating. Electrolytes. This and that. I was taking everything known to man and drinking gallons of water before the game. But I could still feel it.
“I realized, it can’t be hydration because I’m on top of that.
“Sometimes, outwardly, you’re not anxious but inside you can be anxious. That anxiety can cause you to tighten up.”
Schneider had to tweak his mental approach and, over time, re-learned how and when to do something that seems so natural: breathing.
“I tried to do certain things to make sure it never happens again.
Some of it was mental things, and then there was breathing, relaxing I had to do. Things that take your mind off of those trigger points. It was important to overcome and get good at so I don’t have those issues going forward.

The last line of the article is mis-leading... it wasn't one time. Schneider had admitted it's affected him throughout college in an iterview in around this coming out..

Also this article was written just prior to his gm 1 as a starter... where he was shelled for like 7 goals v Anaheim.

I did enjoy the fake news accusation tho. "I've never heard that before so it must NOT of happened! Fake News!"

Last edited:
Reactions: HankNDank

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
They're running one player short of a full 23 man roster because they're capped out. I think they hoped he was claimed and they were attempting to buy favour in the market place for keeping Gaudette up, even though he's sitting/watching 40% of the time.

I don't think the team knows how to manage the cap or ltir and it's just easier for them this way, plus Travis prefers grinders.

But this is about Fiala. I think he's a reasonable buy low piece, because I think his true talent is not what his numbers are posting in Minnesota, and again, Minnesota is a mess organizationally.

what cap restraints do they have from running a 23 man roster? cap friendly shows a 23 man roster with motte on ir and sautner added but motte practiced today. they have not put fantenberg on ir, but they have room available to call someone up if they wanted to do that. there is no cap savings to be had from not doing it.

as to fiala, and assuming he is available cheap, i think we have a roster now where we don't just grab any possible helps and make them fit. he's a guy i'd look at swapping with baertschi but otherwise i don't see the itch he scratches.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I still feel like it was a mistake to not start Schnieder in Boston for Game 4, or arguably Game 6 (although that is so god damned tough because Luongo single handedly won Game 5).

very tough thing to manage. it made me very sad how our goaltending in that era struggled under pressure.

Reactions: timw33

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
as to fiala, and assuming he is available cheap, i think we have a roster now where we don't just grab any possible helps and make them fit. he's a guy i'd look at swapping with baertschi but otherwise i don't see the itch he scratches.
Do you watch other teams beyond the Canucks? He scratches the itch of talent, something that IMO the Canucks forward corps is deficient in. This isn't the same as Linden Vey and you're not getting him for a cap dump who cleared waivers....he was just the centerpiece of a trade for Mikael Granlund.

He's a bonafide top 6 player as far as I'm concerned. I think the issue comes down to you being ok with the talent the Canucks have, I'm not. Was a top 6 player on Nashville two seasons in a row at 21/22 and Nashville is actually a good team.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
very tough thing to manage. it made me very sad how our goaltending in that era struggled under pressure.
It made me very sad how our D in that era struggled under pressure. Those weren't softies going in. Hell.. gm 3 of the final.. period 1... was probably the most insane Luongo had looked here... then Boston overwhelmed the team in front of him... Rome destroying Horton, Bruins amped, playing with 5 D...
Anyways... bleeaaaahhhhh.... just made me re-live that in my head... gross.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It made me very sad how our D in that era struggled under pressure. Those weren't softies going in. Hell.. gm 3 of the final.. period 1... was probably the most insane Luongo had looked here... then Boston overwhelmed the team in front of him... Rome destroying Horton, Bruins amped, playing with 5 D...
Anyways... bleeaaaahhhhh.... just made me re-live that in my head... gross.
Never made sense to me to blame goalies for cracking under pressure when the team averaged 1.14 goals a game in the finals. That they even won 3 games in that series is astonishing and that two of them were shutouts even more impressive.

I only blame the goalie for game 6.....never gave the team a chance. Yes, I just replayed it in my head too. :madfire:

They should've beat Chicago in 2010 too, if Mitchell had some bloody poise on the puck and didn't harness his inner Don Cherry - glass and out (Havlat goal) while Bernier was wide open up the middle and would've salted the 3-1 series lead.

Reactions: I am toxic and DL44

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Cory Schneider says his Game Six Cramp in Chicago in 2011 was the result of “Anxiety”

“Physically, we tried everything,” Schneider explained.
“Hydrating. Electrolytes. This and that. I was taking everything known to man and drinking gallons of water before the game. But I could still feel it.
“I realized, it can’t be hydration because I’m on top of that.
“Sometimes, outwardly, you’re not anxious but inside you can be anxious. That anxiety can cause you to tighten up.”
Schneider had to tweak his mental approach and, over time, re-learned how and when to do something that seems so natural: breathing.
“I tried to do certain things to make sure it never happens again.
Some of it was mental things, and then there was breathing, relaxing I had to do. Things that take your mind off of those trigger points. It was important to overcome and get good at so I don’t have those issues going forward.

The last line of the article is mis-leading... it wasn't one time. Schneider had admitted it's affected him throughout college in an iterview in around this coming out..

Also this article was written just prior to his gm 1 as a starter... where he was shelled for like 7 goals v Anaheim.

I did enjoy the fake news accusation tho. "I've never heard that before so it must NOT of happened! Fake News!"

I stand corrected but there’s a lot of bull poop around here so I apologize for jumping the gun

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Never made sense to me to blame goalies for cracking under pressure when the team averaged 1.14 goals a game in the finals. That they even won 3 games in that series is astonishing and that two of them were shutouts even more impressive.

I only blame the goalie for game 6.....never gave the team a chance. Yes, I just replayed it in my head too. :madfire:

45 mins away from Luongo being our Conn Smythe winner. (mind you Thomas woulda still won it if we won the cup... but Luongo was our best that playoff season)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
45 mins away from Luongo being our Conn Smythe winner. (mind you Thomas woulda still won it if we won the cup... but Luongo was our best that playoff season)
Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I think from start of game 1 vs Chicago to game 7 vs Boston the guy who was consistently good the whole time was Bieksa.

Luongo had moments, Kesler had the Nashville series, Hank the San Jose series.

After those playoffs you could definitely see why they made the Bieksa-covenant for Ehrhoff (on top of wanting to keep Edler's future extension down).

Top pair Shutdown guy, who doubled Ehrhoff in Even strength points and was +6 to Ehrhoffs -13.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Knock it off guys
I would appreciate it
gomods.gif

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
This is hilarious! Always knew that he hated Babcock but never really heard the whole story behind the scenes.

I can definitely see the other side of the story but it sounds like he comes from the same Torts school of motivation like taking you out of the Winter Classic that you looked forward to all year. That will make you really motivated to do well!

Jason Spezza situation might be instructive.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I can definitely see the other side of the story but it sounds like he comes from the same Torts school of motivation like taking you out of the Winter Classic that you looked forward to all year. That will make you really motivated to do well!

Jason Spezza situation might be instructive.
The Modano story was wild. And yeah, he finished his career with 1499 GP. I don’t think Torts would go that far. What a prick

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Conner Hellebuyck might be the classic case of a guy playing lights out in a contract year, got paid and then mailed it in because he's guaranteed money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->