The 2019-20 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Jamie Benn on the Stars 3rd line already. That relationship could go south in a hurry, especially after last season.

There is probably only 1 GM crazy enough to take that contract on. Benning believes in everyone, it's one of his biggest faults. You have to think he still believes in Benn.

Loui Eriksson and something valuable for Benn if the Stars look at getting out from that albatross of a contract? Could be something to keep an eye on down the road.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Was the best opposition forward prospect I saw watching Utica games last year. If Buffalo would have stayed in the playoff hunt he’s a guy I had circled as a potential return on Tanev. Not surprised he’s doing well.

I don't think the "opposition" qualifier is necessary, man

Reactions: MS

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Jamie Benn on the Stars 3rd line already. That relationship could go south in a hurry, especially after last season.

There is probably only 1 GM crazy enough to take that contract on. Benning believes in everyone, it's one of his biggest faults. You have to think he still believes in Benn.

Loui Eriksson and something valuable for Benn if the Stars look at getting out from that albatross of a contract? Could be something to keep an eye on down the road.
LOL

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I would much rather have Benn than Ericsson.

Loui + Sven for Jamie? Re-unite the Benn brothers!
That's a bad trade. Benn has fallen off really hard. Benn will still have three years left after those guys expire. He looks lazy and disinterested right now, and his value is all time low. He would probably still put up 30 goals for the next few years because he is a tap in merchant in front of the net, specifically on the PP. Not sure about his longevity at ES.

I generally have the mindset that I'd rather have one or two really bad contracts than 8 somewhat bad to mildy bad ones, but not when it comes at 9.5 for another 6 years. They don't have the space to absorb anything past salary matching either.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Jesus.

Jamie Benn is the single worst asset in the NHL. $9.5 million for another 6 years for a fat, quickly declining middle-6 forward. Dallas would have to offer 3-4 #1 picks in addition to a Benn-Eriksson swap to even listen to them.

Reactions: Red and MikeK

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Am I missing something with Daniel Sprong? Why was he waived? Why wasn’t he claimed? He scored at a 25 goal pace last year on that awful Anaheim team... what’s the deal?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Am I missing something with Daniel Sprong? Why was he waived? Why wasn’t he claimed? He scored at a 25 goal pace last year on that awful Anaheim team... what’s the deal?

He’s one dimensional and doesnt do anything else that well.... think a poor mans Brandon Pirri

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
He’s one dimensional and doesnt do anything else that well.... think a poor mans Brandon Pirri
See I thought Brandon Pirri was a poor skater hence why he could never really hang, but I’ve always thought Sprong was a pretty good skater?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Namesnikov (750k retained (3.25MM remaining)) to OTT
Ebert + 4th to NYR

Very strange move.

Nice trade for the Rangers. Clear $3 million in cap space and get a draft pick for a 27 y/o bad player.

It's amazing how good GMs can consistently get returns for bad assets. Like, a 23 y/o Goldobin at $900k is a vastly better asset than a 27 y/o Namestnikov at $3.2 million.

The job TB did pumping up his stats by playing him with Stamkos/Kucherov and then flipping him for Miller/McDonagh is still a masterclass.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Jesus.

Jamie Benn is the single worst asset in the NHL. $9.5 million for another 6 years for a fat, quickly declining middle-6 forward. Dallas would have to offer 3-4 #1 picks in addition to a Benn-Eriksson swap to even listen to them.

Agreed. J.Benn's best days are behind him. He's at that typical age where most power forwards start to break down. The fact he has another 5 years after this one left @ $9.5M is all the more reason to avoid. The Canucks are going to have some serious contracts needing to be dished out to some young stars over the next few years so the last thing they need is another Eriksson type contract with an even bigger cap hit. Hard pass for me.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Jesus.

Well yeah, but you’re forgetting something very important here. Jim Benning believes in everyone, at least those with pedigree. If there is a GM out there willing to
Look past all the obvious red flags with Benn, it’s Benning. Then you have the local guy angle, even the Eriksson and Dallas connection. The brother connection for good measure.

I would avoid that contract like the plague. But can you honestly say it’s out of the question Benning would be stupid enough to get suckered in to taking it on? If Dallas does look to move on, who is the first person Jim Nill phones?

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

Buff and Kulikov both on personal leave, Beaulieu injured and Morrissey got a concussion in practice.... yikes that Jets D is a hot mess

Last edited:
Reactions: vancityluongo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well yeah, but you’re forgetting something very important here. Jim Benning believes in everyone, at least those with pedigree. If there is a GM out there willing to
Look past all the obvious red flags with Benn, it’s Benning. Then you have the local guy angle, even the Eriksson and Dallas connection. The brother connection for good measure.

I would avoid that contract like the plague. But can you honestly say it’s out of the question Benning would be stupid enough to get suckered in to taking it on? If Dallas does look to move on, who is the first person Jim Nill phones?

If you're asking the question 'Is Jim Benning stupid and incompetent enough to actively make a franchise crippling trade for the single worst asset in the NHL?' then the answer is unequivocally yes. It's the sort of thing fans here should be having nightmares about.

Thankfully, he's done such a brutal job botching our cap structure that it would be quite difficult to find the cap space to make this sort of move.

Glad to hear you've accepted that Benning is stupid. Progress!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Buff and Kulikov both on personal leave, Beaulieu injured and Morrissey got a concussion in practice.... yikes that Jets D is a hot mess

Final 4 in 2018, but knowing that Myers was UFA in 2019. Trouba was RFA in 2018 and prior negotiations did not go well, plus he wanted to go to the US for his GF to go to medical school. Chariot was UFA in 2019. Buff, they could not have predicted.

How quickly things can turn.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Nice trade for the Rangers. Clear $3 million in cap space and get a draft pick for a 27 y/o bad player.

It's amazing how good GMs can consistently get returns for bad assets. Like, a 23 y/o Goldobin at $900k is a vastly better asset than a 27 y/o Namestnikov at $3.2 million.

The job TB did pumping up his stats by playing him with Stamkos/Kucherov and then flipping him for Miller/McDonagh is still a masterclass.
Yeah too bad Benning wouildnt follow the Tampa model. Or even learn from the quick smart lessons the Rangers are teaching the league on how to do a rebuild. Its not too late Jim! Youve screwed up a lot but everything is fixable!

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Anyone think Benning should've been in on Namestnikov? price seems low. I'd rather a fourth and ebert type prospect for Namestnikov than what we paid for JT. Like, they're going all in, so go all in.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
you look at benn's contract and cap hit and 6 more years of term and you have to think the owners are going to be begging the players to renegotiate the cba to fix these deals soon enough. you just cannot run a hockey team properly and give out long term contracts to guys well into their 30s like the nhl does, and every team that touches success seems to get burned by them. fans just will not put up with vastly overpaid boat anchors patrolling the bottom six for half a decade, and the ability of teams to unload these guys on failing franchises is diminishing and also a recipe for finishing off those failing franchises.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Anyone think Benning should've been in on Namestnikov? price seems low. I'd rather a fourth and ebert type prospect for Namestnikov than what we paid for JT. Like, they're going all in, so go all in.

we are not in a position to do that deal without sending equivalent cap back. unless they want baertschi, how does it get done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad