The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. VI - Zamboni Goalie Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You guys are a friggen buzzkill.

Looking forward to NHL hockey and elimination games at that. I dont care about the stadiums being full.

Safest place is in the bubble for these guys and i'm sure they would like to cash some cheques and do what they do best.

bring on the games

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The players have spent the equivalent to a normal offseason not playing, and barely training, which means it'll be rife with chaotic randomness and a preseason level of hockey for the Play In round.

I already found it hard to get pysched up about playoffs when it was in June, it might be a bit hard for August/September.

I still feel like there's a very high chance it gets cancelled before it's ever completed and they'll end up having to scuttle/postpone the 20/21 season as a result of outbreaks and 2nd waves this fall and winter.

Yup.

1) I don't care about watching hockey in the summer in the best of times. If the Canucks aren't playing, I've usually tuned out of the playoffs by the Cup Finals. And I don't care about the stupid August World Cups.

2) There's been longer than a normal offseason and this feels like it has zero connection to 19-20 NHL season. I don't even remember what the lines looked like when we last played. Finishing the year after a 5-month break doesn't feel like it's crowning a champion for the season we watched. It just feels totally random.

3) The players are going to be horribly out of shape and everything is going to be very randomized. The team that did the best job of keeping fit over the lockdown will probably win the Cup, not the best hockey team.

4) The whole thing is designed so freaking huge and with so many teams that it seems inevitable that there will be an outbreak at some point which cancels the whole thing. I don't really want to get emotionally invested just to be disappointed again.

5) Watching European soccer games with no crowds is just weird and isn't the same.

I mean, I'll follow what happens and watch the Canuck games ... but I'm not excited about it at all. It feels more like a duty almost.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed; it totally feels fake to try and get up for August hockey; and what happens if a team has to pull out from the tourney like Nashville and Dallas in the MLS.

if Minnesota suddenly has to pull out does that really count as a playoff round win for the canucks.

The banner is already being designed. Play-in Champions by Default 2019-2020

I look forward to watching the raising ceremony - remotely, to the sound of canned applause.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Looking forward to NHL hockey and elimination games at that. I dont care about the stadiums being full.

Safest place is in the bubble for these guys and i'm sure they would like to cash some cheques and do what they do best.

bring on the games

they didn’t get paid during the shutdown?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I would rather see two things if we are going to have hockey.

1) A mini NHL Cup tournament with 3v3 action. Quick games that feature each teams elite representatives. Award a random trophy at the end of the damn thing.

2) A World Cup of Hockey.

Hate the idea of a Stanley Cup being awarded this year.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
My excitement for hockey is low but I still want to take my jersey to Pacific Coast Cresting at some point

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Travis didn't back out just to back out. His daughter was previously sick and they just had a boy. I'm sure there will be a few that do choose to do so however.

Reactions: rypper

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
20200710_213120.jpg

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Hell yeah don't think I've ever been more excited for sports in my life. Gonna be a unique situation in sports we have never seen and probably will never see again.

It's gonna be great!
This is my opinion too, I am really looking forward to it. Plus the Canucks are still in the fight for Laf and the cup which adds to the hilarity of it all.

2) There's been longer than a normal offseason and this feels like it has zero connection to 19-20 NHL season. I don't even remember what the lines looked like when we last played. Finishing the year after a 5-month break doesn't feel like it's crowning a champion for the season we watched. It just feels totally random.

3) The players are going to be horribly out of shape and everything is going to be very randomized. The team that did the best job of keeping fit over the lockdown will probably win the Cup, not the best hockey team.
The chaos is the biggest reason why I think it will be fun.

Every year people say "any team could win if they make the playoffs" and that's always total bullshit, but.... this year that's finally the case. Literally any team could win! Even a team that would have been swept if the season went on as normal.... like us! If the top teams had one or two players go full Byfuglien offseason mode they're screwed.

I'm way more interested in this than I was in the team looking to fluke their way into a wild card spot with Markstrom out and therefore no hope of winning.

Plus I'm excited for some entertainment to break the 24 hours news outrage/shock cycle.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

bring on the games

A lot of whiners, people crying, people in pure rage and everything inbetween.

See you all in the GDT's!

Reactions: sting101

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
"I hate everything about this, I hate summer hockey, I hate playoffs like this, I hate this and that, but I'm going to watch and I'm going to hate it".

You guys make no sense. Who lives life like this, where if you hate something so deeply, you follow/watch it anyways.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I would rather see two things if we are going to have hockey.

1) A mini NHL Cup tournament with 3v3 action. Quick games that feature each teams elite representatives. Award a random trophy at the end of the damn thing.

2) A World Cup of Hockey.

Hate the idea of a Stanley Cup being awarded this year.

This would be more laughable than awarding a Cup....I would love to see reactions to a 3v3 tournament for a garage sale trophy, when people are in rage about the Stanley Cup being awarded.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Agreed; it totally feels fake to try and get up for August hockey; and what happens if a team has to pull out from the tourney like Nashville and Dallas in the MLS.

if Minnesota suddenly has to pull out does that really count as a playoff round win for the canucks.

hey now, don’t disparage the only playoff series naslund, bertuzzi, and cloutier won together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad