Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Cancel the season
Don’t care if we don’t get a shot at 1OA pick
Does this seems right to all of you????

Isn't the false positive rate something like 1%? If it is and the bubble occupants are all virus free, 2.000 tests in one day will yield 20 false positives.

Maybe it's better with "group testing", which will also greatly reduce the amount of lab work.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the NBA has a policy where any player that declines to play is free to do that without any consequences other than not getting paid for those months.

has anyone heard what the NHL's planning for an opt out policy?

Reactions: vancityluongo

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
the NBA has a policy where any player that declines to play is free to do that without any consequences other than not getting paid for those months.

has anyone heard what the NHL's planning for an opt out policy?

Players have about 3 days after the Return to Play is officially signed off on to inform their team, in writing, that they intend to sit out with no penalty. If they choose to sit out after the deadline then they will be fined I think.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Players have about 3 days after the Return to Play is officially signed off on to inform their team, in writing, that they intend to sit out with no penalty. If they choose to sit out after the deadline then they will be fined I think.

ah thx

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Isn't the false positive rate something like 1%? If it is and the bubble occupants are all virus free, 2.000 tests in one day will yield 20 false positives.

Maybe it's better with "group testing", which will also greatly reduce the amount of lab work.
Sports league are taking away tests that could be use in hospital or on front line workers, simple

Reactions: amethyst

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I’m pretty sure testing is widely available in Canada and anyone that wants one can get it.

isn’t it the same in the states?

probably a separate issue but in the US there is the getting your insurance to pay for the tests problem, right?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Bracket to the Wild already? 9 days after being a free agent

Glad he wen't to a hockey mad market. Man the Wild have been awful at the draft table hopefully he gets them back to being respectable

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! The schedule for the 'play-in' series has been released. Games starting at 12:30; 3:30 and 6:30 p.m every day until series winners are decided.

Fans will be going bug-eyed trying to follow three games every day in West; and another three games in the East. Those PVR's will be on melt-down!

I wonder if Sportsnet will have 'wall-to'wall' hockey with replays of games that fans might miss?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Does anyone else not really care at all about this weird hockey tournament in front of empty buildings in August?

Totally agreed.

I've been enjoying watching European soccer start back up, because those countries have covid under control and it feels responsible.

But the pandemic response in the US is an unqualified disaster. Even though the hub cities are both Canadian, US teams holding mini camps right now feels so, so reckless and unnecessary. And don't even get me started on the MLB, NBA, and MLS plans. MLS is already a full blown shitshow.

That being said, if CanPL wanted to start back up in Canada, EPL-style, I think I would be on board with that.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Does anyone else not really care at all about this weird hockey tournament in front of empty buildings in August?
I'm honestly trying to get myself psyched for playoff hockey...but there's just nothing there. At this point I'm more fussed about the idea of paying more for cable by adding the SNet and TSN packages back on that I am about the games themselves. Everything's got this giant asterisk hanging over it. I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall and it getting formally cancelled.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I don't refer to it as the Stanley Cup playoffs and that helps. But obviously the time since the last game is basically a regular offseason at this point.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Hell yeah don't think I've ever been more excited for sports in my life. Gonna be a unique situation in sports we have never seen and probably will never see again.

It's gonna be great!

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
It's very likely going to be a mess but it'll be a unique and interesting experience that I'll one day get to tell the Grandkids about.

This is still better than having no sports.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I think it's going to be interesting to see how these games are produced. There are rumours the NHL will be putting cameras all over the place so I'm curious to see what they come up with. Also curious to find out if they will use artificial crowd noise or something to fill the echoing emptiness. Maybe they'll fill the stands with those Molson "red light" devices.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

The players have spent the equivalent to a normal offseason not playing, and barely training, which means it'll be rife with chaotic randomness and a preseason level of hockey for the Play In round.

I already found it hard to get pysched up about playoffs when it was in June, it might be a bit hard for August/September.

I still feel like there's a very high chance it gets cancelled before it's ever completed and they'll end up having to scuttle/postpone the 20/21 season as a result of outbreaks and 2nd waves this fall and winter.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Agreed; it totally feels fake to try and get up for August hockey; and what happens if a team has to pull out from the tourney like Nashville and Dallas in the MLS.

if Minnesota suddenly has to pull out does that really count as a playoff round win for the canucks.

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->