The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. VI - Zamboni Goalie Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He is completely out of touch with reality, They wanted a percentage, they have many different arguments as to why they are worth multiple millions of dollars, most of them valid but most of them relying on the fact that they are the product that brings in the money. well sorry, Kess you guys are not bringing in any money...

This is the one that gets me.

The reason being that in NZ, the government locked everyone down and then paid everyone's lost wages, at 80%, so that exact thing happened to 75% of my country and I literally did not hear see one single complaint.

Not to mention the daily rising unemployment around the world.

Lol at Kesler. Yeah 20% off a multimillionaire is going to mean as much 20% off a minimum wage person. Still the same azz**** he always was. I’m not AS mad at Jesse Boulerice anymore.:naughty:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Lol at Kesler. Yeah 20% off a multimillionaire is going to mean as much 20% off a minimum wage person. Still the same azz**** he always was. I’m not AS mad at Jesse Boulerice anymore.:naughty:

Dude, those Bugattis don't pay for themselves.

Seriously though, it doesn't really matter how much you get paid if you always spend 100% of your earnings no matter what. Those hockey players probably are hurting.... They are young adults that have had money shoveled at them at an early age. They are being told to just focus on their game, etc. Do you think they spend much time balancing their monthly budget?

They need to be saving for retirement now, because who knows when the NHL gravy train ends? However, they are celebrities and are expected to keep up appearances. They are under a lot of social pressure to spend that money. Imagine if everyone you knew, knew that you were a multi-millionaire and knew exactly how much you made and for how long? You can't really use the excuse "I can't really afford to right now" If he acted like a cheapskate in front of 'the boys', it would get around quickly. So they spend money like it's going out of style, the fans keep shoveling it at them, then tsk-tsking at their lack of budgeting skills and for being overpaid?

Would you go to and pay for University if you knew that the career you were going into would only be available to you for 5-10 years? That's what we are asking the players to do, to switch careers entirely in their mid-30's, many with no formal education beyond high school. They better have a nest egg, or they will be working retail like everyone else. What is your career earnings worth to you as an Engineer or a Medical Practitioner? The players are making the lion share of their career earnings at a young age, but have poor options out of hockey.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
We're gunna have fans of several teams actively cheering to be out of playoff contention. This has to be the strangest draft that will ever happen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We're gunna have fans of several teams actively cheering to be out of playoff contention. This has to be the strangest draft that will ever happen.
It will be. That’s why it was so strange for them to do the lottery this far in advance of the draft. I mean they won’t be holding it until the playoffs are over anyways to get the final order. At the very least wait until the play in round is complete.

Honestly, aside from the normal Talent, desire, guys, luck, and health needed to win the cup you now need extra luck in not being in contact with an someone infected by Covid-19. Plus the common sense of the players to remain isolated from the general public.

Reactions: Dave Ayers

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Honestly this playoffs needs an asterix, I am sorry but it 100% does.

Let's look at the Lightning. They were a front runner for the cup, now have a bunch of cases, and even if those players have recovered will they be in game shape?

Its just so many things you don't normally need to deal with playing playoffs in August...

Just cancel the season... Just my 2 cents.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Honestly this playoffs needs an asterix, I am sorry but it 100% does.

Let's look at the Lightning. They were a front runner for the cup, now have a bunch of cases, and even if those players have recovered will they be in game shape?

Its just so many things you don't normally need to deal with playing playoffs in August...

Just cancel the season... Just my 2 cents.
They already made their decision to try to finish this season. Still insane that they have not picked their hub cities.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
15 of the 250(+) players in Phase 2 activities have tested positive.

That's in additional to 11 positive diagnoses since June 8th outside of Phase 2 activities.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
They already made their decision to try to finish this season. Still insane that they have not picked their hub cities.

To try, but at what point would they have to cancel? How many players contracting Covid would do it? They also haven't done the final player vote I believe for some details so things could fall apart.

I am optimistic in my pessimistic view...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To try, but at what point would they have to cancel? How many players contracting Covid would do it? They also haven't done the final player vote I believe for some details so things could fall apart.

I am optimistic in my pessimistic view...
Probably has to be like 5 players or so on a team because the rosters are set to like 30 right? Lose 5 to Covid and possible injuries how many can you still continue with for weeks?

I guess we will get a better Idea when camp opens and see how the players get through that.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
If the NHL would just stop dragging its feet and get the players into the protective 'bubble', maybe they would stop going to night clubs and other public spaces interacting with the VERY INFECTED populace, and we could actually see games played. We can't expect these lunkheads to do it on their own anymore than we can expect anyone else to. The longer the league waits, the more players will be infected. It's a shame, because there was a real shot at making this happen, and every day that they stall announcing the hub cities and getting everyone back and into the bubble, the less likely it becomes.

Reactions: Szechwan

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I keep bringing up these leagues, but, do whatever the Bundesliga/Premier League/every football league has done, that has started up. You are not hearing about 15+ players testing positive over there. Pretty sure they are in the bubble.

As someone said above, the social bubble should be in place already. The football leagues set the precedent on how to make this work and how to make it last week to week. This whole 6 or so players only is completely stupid, if you ask me.

All the NA leagues are dropping the ball completely - it's quite hilarious to watch, actually, knowing there are sports happening overseas.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I keep bringing up these leagues, but, do whatever the Bundesliga/Premier League/every football league has done, that has started up. You are not hearing about 15+ players testing positive over there. Pretty sure they are in the bubble.

As someone said above, the social bubble should be in place already. The football leagues set the precedent on how to make this work and how to make it last week to week. This whole 6 or so players only is completely stupid, if you ask me.

All the NA leagues are dropping the ball completely - it's quite hilarious to watch, actually, knowing there are sports happening overseas.

I mean, those leagues also aren't in the US. It's a pretty different set of circumstances.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I mean, those leagues also aren't in the US. It's a pretty different set of circumstances.

Correct, there have been somewhere between 5k and 8k active cases in Germany over the last weeks, compary that to the 50k new infections every day in the US and the million active cases (although that number seems crazy high).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
cancel the f***ing season

Pretty much. Hell, in my company we've already been told that if you have been fine working from home since mid-March then don't plan to return to the office until after vaccines are widely available. Business travel is still forbidden and likely will be until at least the end of year except for the fundamental necessities to keep operating legally.

Intersting that the players are getting frustrated with Fehr and the PA handling this. Though in the defense of the PA I will say that until they've hammered out all those CBA details which are starting to come out the last few days it's hard to be able to present the entirety of the package. I think you need everything including how the plan to do testing etc. And for this decision that entirety is what is needed.

The only way this will work for the league is if they get the players into the bubble now. Bring them in. Quarantine them in small groups with regular testing. But that doesn't seem like that is going to happen with skating still happening in each city.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Cancel the season
Don’t care if we don’t get a shot at 1OA pick
Does this seems right to all of you????

The MLB has had at least 4 teams have to shut down their workouts because the tests they did on Friday still haven't showed up. Just a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->