Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This could be a really big leap in development for Demko, as long as Green doesn't screw it up with not enough starts. I would really put off Marky's extension as long as possible though. Letting Marky go will be a gamble but they've almost forced themselves into that move with their current salary structure. There are very few places to offload salary on this roster.

I think best case scenario would be a short 2-3 year extension for Marky if you get it at a good price. Then you still have the ability to trade him for a good return.

Around end of January I think we'll know if we need one more season of Marky. My gut feeling is that Demko is 1.5 seasons away.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
This could be a really big leap in development for Demko, as long as Green doesn't screw it up with not enough starts. I would really put off Marky's extension as long as possible though. Letting Marky go will be a gamble but they've almost forced themselves into that move with their current salary structure. There are very few places to offload salary on this roster.

I think best case scenario would be a short 2-3 year extension for Marky if you get it at a good price. Then you still have the ability to trade him for a good return.

Around end of January I think we'll know if we need one more season of Marky. My gut feeling is that Demko is 1.5 seasons away.

1.5 seasons away? HAve you not seen him play this year? I mean he just played 3 amazing games. I know there's a lot more to be seen to say definitively what we have with Demko but by all accounts he's looking like a solid #1 now.

Ideally we would sign and trade Markstrom - the probability of this actually happening though is pretty low and I doubt Benning is shrewd enough to do this. If we get any positive assetts for Markstrom I would be surprised.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
1.5 seasons away? HAve you not seen him play this year? I mean he just played 3 amazing games. I know there's a lot more to be seen to say definitively what we have with Demko but by all accounts he's looking like a solid #1 now.

Ideally we would sign and trade Markstrom - the probability of this actually happening though is pretty low and I doubt Benning is shrewd enough to do this. If we get any positive assetts for Markstrom I would be surprised.

No, I have never watched him play this year, let alone the last three games. :sarcasm:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Its the tiniest of sample sizes this year.

He still has issues with rebounds.

We dont know how he deals with mental fatigue if given the lion's share of starts.

Mossey's view point is absolutely valid. You may disagree but there is no reason for the (apparent?) outrage.

Reactions: Javaman

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

We dont know how he deals with mental fatigue if given the lion's share of starts.

Mossey's view point is absolutely valid. You may disagree but there is no reason for the (apparent?) outrage.

I would trade Marky and Gamble at the trade deadline only if Demko plays this way until the. . People are and will probably blast me for this but we don’t have much cap space and I know it’s only been 3 games but Demko looks like he is ready for a breakthrough. But I would wait until the deadline before we trade Marky and only if Demko maintains this great play we have seen the last 3 games. Not if but when he continues to play this way the rest of the season trade Marky and get back a great return . Benning has definitely improved his trading lately. See the Leivo, Miller and Pearson trades as examples of that

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I would trade Marky and Gamble at the trade deadline only if Demko plays this way until the. . People are and will probably blast me for this but we don’t have much cap space and I know it’s only been 3 games but Demko looks like he is ready for a breakthrough. But I would wait until the deadline before we trade Marky and only if Demko maintains this great play we have seen the last 3 games

Im all for trading Markström at the deadline.
Maybe try to recoup that draftpick we gave up in the Miller trade.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think it's a big gamble to not re-sign Markstrom. Demko has to be absolutely steller to give me the confidence to let Markstrom go. Personally, I think it's important to have two good goalies. Timeline wise, ideally Markstrom is extended for 1-2 years. But I can't see Markstrom signing for anything less than 3 years.

Reactions: MS

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
It's very unlikely Markstrom gets dealt. Assuming the team stays in the playoff hunt, which I believe they will, you need high level goaltending; ideally from both guys.

The play here IMO is to re-sign Markstrom, but leave yourself trade flexibility to unload a goalie leading up to the expansion draft.

With a 1st rd pick in play over the next couple years, management isn't going to open themselves up to the risk of having their season hinge on Thatcher Demko. The Canucks will opt to have both guys in the mix for this season and next.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Yes all valid points you have . Btw Outrage? Luckily I've got better things to do then get outraged over a post that I have a slightly different view point with on HFB. I'm simply trying to express that I have a high degree of confidence that Demko is going to evolve into a #1 - in my opinion there's a good chance this could happen this year.

I was also trying to express the fact that with two #1's it would be ideal if Benning dealt one of them (obviously Markstromm) in order to avoid losing him for nothing. I don't know what the best option is (for me it's probably re-signing Markstromm to a 2-3 year deal and then shipping him off for a late first or 2nd round pick I guess?). Unfortunately I don't have a high degree in confidence in Jimbo maximizing our assett value here.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
It's very unlikely Markstrom gets dealt. Assuming the team stays in the playoff hunt, which I believe they will, you need high level goaltending; ideally from both guys.

The play here IMO is to re-sign Markstrom, but leave yourself trade flexibility to unload a goalie leading up to the expansion draft.

With a 1st rd pick in play over the next couple years, management isn't going to open themselves up to the risk of having their season hinge on Thatcher Demko. The Canucks will opt to have both guys in the mix for this season and next.

You bring up some good points and I tend to think this will be managements thinking. I don't necessarily disagree however I think ideally for me Demko would assert himself as someone more than capable of being a #1 and we would be able to get some assetts for Markstromm. I really doubt this is gonna happen for management this season meaning that we would need to re-sign Markstromm and then look at doing this in the following season or 2. Just not sure what the tag and term on Markstromm would be. I can't see it being less then 4 years which is starting to get a bit iffy in terms of his age however I would be ok with it I suppose (hoping that at some point we could flip him for an assett).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yes all valid points you have . Btw Outrage? Luckily I've got better things to do then get outraged over a post that I have a slightly different view point with on HFB. I'm simply trying to express that I have a high degree of confidence that Demko is going to evolve into a #1 - in my opinion there's a good chance this could happen this year.

I was also trying to express the fact that with two #1's it would be ideal if Benning dealt one of them (obviously Markstromm) in order to avoid losing him for nothing. I don't know what the best option is (for me it's probably re-signing Markstromm to a 2-3 year deal and then shipping him off for a late first or 2nd round pick I guess?). Unfortunately I don't have a high degree in confidence in Jimbo maximizing our assett value here.

Ok then it was my mistake. Misinterpreting the tone of your post.

I thought, you asking if Mossey has watched Demko play:

HAve you not seen him play this year?

... meant that you felt the position he holds is so weak that the only way to arrive at it is to not have watched him play.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
This is a tough decision. I'm not sure if I want to deal either goalie, but I would hate to lose one to Seattle via expansion draft.

Markstrom has just been so spectacular for us, that it would be hard not to offer him that extension. He honestly deserves it, he looks like a top 15, and on most nights a top 10 goaltender in the league.

If I were Benning I would explore both goalies as trade options, and see who the leagues GM's values more. It really is a flip of a coin here.

Sometimes I wonder if it's better to keep Markstrom and ride with him until DiPietro is NHL ready, rather than letting our bonafide number one go for our top goaltending prospect, that is playing spectacular but hasn't played a full season as a starter.

On the flip side, Demko would save us on a lot of cap space because Markstrom is due for a big contract.

Trade whoever garners us a first rounder, or the greater prospect. Simple as that.

Could be a Schneider for 9th overall "Horvat" all over again.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Ok then it was my mistake. Misinterpreting the tone of your post.

I thought, you asking if Mossey has watched Demko play:

... meant that you felt the position he holds is so weak that the only way to arrive at it is to not have watched him play.

Of course if he's commenting on here he's watched the game - that wasn't ultimately my point........which was more intended as "Come on man he's very obviously played great this year........To me Demko has been on the path to being a top ten NHL goalie for a while. In every situation that I have seen him placed in he's taken a minute to adjust and then upped his game. I fully expect that to happen in Vancouver sooner or later and I am not at all surprised by his success. I'm probably more comfortable then most with letting him take the reigns.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Of course if he's commenting on here he's watched the game - that wasn't ultimately my point........which was more intended as "Come on man he's very obviously played great this year........To me Demko has been on the path to being a top ten NHL goalie for a while. In every situation that I have seen him placed in he's taken a minute to adjust and then upped his game. I fully expect that to happen in Vancouver sooner or later and I am not at all surprised by his success. I'm probably more comfortable then most with letting him take the reigns.

Ok... So lets downgrade outrage to "Come on man."

I dont think "Come on man" is warranted either. Its a tiny sample size.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
The Seattle expansion will bite us a lot harder than the Vegas one, and it makes our goaltending situation probably the toughest and most pivotal that we have to deal with right now.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Althou knowing the way the Gods work he will look horrible the next 4 games.............I'm sorry Hockey Gods please do not punish me for my enthusiasm...........It was not meant as cocky...........please do not teach me a lesson. I'm good there thanks.......

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
^I agree, it's quite unfortunate. The Canucks finally have their best goalie tandem since Luongo/Schneider and it gets dismantled as soon as we get it.

The Vegas expansion didn't have the same potential damage. Canucks fans were wishing Vegas to take their players because the roster was so sh*tty.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Demo will be the number one next year. Markstrom is probably the best goalie available in free agency, as Holtby has regressed and won't be worth the contract he will sign for. It will be tough to resign over a team that doesn't have to expose him.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Markstrom is arguably the best goalie in the league aside from John Gibson at this point, if you can get value for Demko (similar age and potential winger or defender) you do it.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
In terms of the expansion draft why wouldn’t they just Tell marky to take a “1 year” extension with a Doug Wilson type handshake agreement for a long term deal the following summer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad