Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

Feb 19, 2018
I could see Samsonov and Demko being the two goalies plucked (Demko due to our lack of depth) and Seattle going a younger route then Vegas did.

Build through picks that teams fork up in order to not chose players and their own.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I could see Samsonov and Demko being the two goalies plucked (Demko due to our lack of depth) and Seattle going a younger route then Vegas did.

Build through picks that teams fork up in order to not chose players and their own.
Too early to decide anything. Right now on paper, there isn’t a whole lot to choose from at the D and F spots for the Canucks. So if both goalies are on the roster my expectation is that one gets selected barring a trade.

As for Washington, they have a hard decision to make. They will need to play Sammy in the NHL to get a read on him next season. I would be surprised if Holtby signed without ED protection. But who knows.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Unload markstrom for picks at the draft if possible, sign a 1b on short term deal to split time for Demko moving forward.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Unload markstrom for picks at the draft if possible, sign a 1b on short term deal to split time for Demko moving forward.

Does marky even want to go to Seattle? If not it would be in his best interest as well as the Canucks to work out an extension and sign it after the draft. I doubt Seattle will take him when he could just tell them he’s walking in 2 weeks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Does marky even want to go to Seattle? If not it would be in his best interest as well as the Canucks to work out an extension and sign it after the draft. I doubt Seattle will take him when he could just tell them he’s walking in 2 weeks
So marky would do a 1 year extension?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has a contract in place for next season. Why would it need to be a 1yr contract? we can leave Marky as an upcoming UFA re-sign bachman or mazanec to a 1yr deal and expose them as our goalie meeting the requirements
Right and the ED is in 2021. So when you said Markstrom could walk in 2 weeks that means he would be a ufa. So to get him from the end of 19–20 season he would need to sign a 1 year deal for 20-21 to fit your scenario right?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Right and the ED is in 2021. So when you said Markstrom could walk in 2 weeks that means he would be a ufa. So to get him from the end of 19–20 season he would need to sign a 1 year deal for 20-21 to fit your scenario right?
oh shit my bad idk why i thought it was end of next season

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
oh **** my bad idk why i thought it was end of next season
In an ideal world it would have been but Seattle red tape held everything up. If they got approval 3 months earlier they make it for 20-21. But they didn’t want to risk a delay. Plus if they rush it likely adds more costs to the stadium which is already coming in at $800 million.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Does he get a start against philly or Detroit? He needs 25-30 games to see what we have, but I can see Green going with Markstrom as there are a few rest days in between games.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They have to see what they have in him. It should be his go in PHI.

Demko is very important to the Canucks' future. Markstrom is 30 this year. They need Demko to become a core level player.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

Demko is very important to the Canucks' future. Markstrom is 30 this year. They need Demko to become a core level player.
30 is not old for a goalie.

How old was tim thomas when he was unreal for boston?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Some goalies are their best at early 30s.

They dont fall of a cliff like fowards do.

Most experience age related decline.

It’s the difference between probability and exceptions. You have to decide what is the more reasonable assertion and go with it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree that the odds are Markstrom has 3-4 prime years left in him. There's also nothing stopping the Canucks from re-signing Markstrom and at the same time expose him to the expansion draft. Markstrom can get some trade protection in his next deal, not no movement. Nothing wrong with putting Demko in a position where he needs to beat out Marky

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Some goalies are their best at early 30s.

They dont fall of a cliff like fowards do.
Thomas (the example you gave) also didn't have alot of accumulated mileage on him when he finally started playing starting goalie type length of seasons in the NHL (I think when he was over 30 years old). Other guys like Luongo are just a 'freak of nature' (or Chelios).

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Thomas (the example you gave) also didn't have alot of accumulated mileage on him when he finally started playing starting goalie type length of seasons in the NHL (I think when he was over 30 years old). Other guys like Luongo are just a 'freak of nature' (or Chelios).
Roy, hasek was great in early 30s. So was brodeur.

A more recent example is anderson in sens. Yeah

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Roy, hasek was great in early 30s. So was brodeur.

A more recent example is anderson in sens. Yeah
You can make a case for the top three being the greatest of all-time. Not really a comparable imho.

I dunno, when I grew up I learned that the peak of a goalie was 30.
I wouldn't know about that as I haven't grown up yet.:sarcasm:

I know that anyone over 25 is considered washed up at hfboards, but still.
Nope. They're still prospects!:sarcasm:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I see green based on the October schedule putting Demko in for Detroit, road game against NYR, and likely fla at home. Then he’d get one of the b2b for SJ and Ana.

Green likes to run Markstrom. Have a lot of free days coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad