Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Cant wait to see this giant wearing the Orca will be sweet

Also in Utica! Hopefully we see him in a handfull of games with the Nucks too next year :)

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's super athletic, flexible and is technical. He looks better than Schnieder did when Schnieder turned pro.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Ha! That's why I usually use ctrl-c/ctrl-v, but not this time. Fingers were faster than my brain. Any mod able to change the thread name?

That's a function you should be able to do yourself unless you've lost functionalities due to infractions. Edit ---> Advanced Options

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
That's a function you should be able to do yourself unless you've lost functionalities due to infractions. Edit ---> Advanced Options

Well, *condescending tone* it was actually Edit ---> Go Advanced

Just kidding, thanks for the heads up, didn't know the title was able to be edited, and never even saw the button. Thanks!

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Not sure if already posted, article from Kuzma - mostly comments from Cloutier.

Hopefully the adjustment to pro goes smoothly. I thought the most interesting comments were the increased number of turnovers (???) as well as reading release and tracking the puck - I assume that has been part of his training for years now, so why does it change now he is in the pros?

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
We shall see where all goalies land after pad adjustments.

The good news is that Demko is so young and still developing his game isnt set in stone, he will probably transition well with his athleticism.

P.S (I thought he was gonna walk TBH)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's super athletic, flexible and is technical. He looks better than Schnieder did when Schnieder turned pro.

Not wanting to throw cold water on the current Demko lovefest, but seriously folks, he wouldn't have to play that well to surpass Schneider after he turned pro....Cory struggled mightily in Manitoba and was benched midway through his first season in the AHL...and it took him three years to get to the NHL....and you can argue that playing behind a guy like Luongo actually helped him become the goalie he eventually became. Demko is a prospect, a very good one, but still a prospect pure and simple.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
In these kinds of situations I don't mind giving out a bunch of bonuses.

Plus, it's not like he'll likely hit his bonuses and once he does he'll be well worth the money anyway.

Incomplete argument.

Last edited:

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
When you talk about "these kinds of situations", are you talking about a situation where a team already has a 26 year old 6'6 top 10 goalie prospect and a Olympic silver medal winning goalie tandem between the pipes?

Or a situation where a NHL's management team is so incredibly inept at negotiating that all an agent needs to do to find out what cards Jimbo is holding is use google?

Or a situation where we're giving a goalie prospect that, while holding some very impressive regular season statistics, couldn't make it to Hockey East championship.

If you think this post is a slam on Demko you are sorely mistaken.

A team is more than about just it's prospects. The financial part of it is equally important.

Regardless of whether or not Demko makes these performance bonuses, the fact of the matter is, the Canucks have to reserve this cap space JUST IN CASE. (cue the rebuilding teams don't need cap space chants)

And we all know how good our management team is at planning....

The process is equally as important as the goals.

Nice to see Demko signed but yet again, the financials suck.

Oh come on....for real?

I can only guess what you would have said if he didn't sign...

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
When you talk about "these kinds of situations", are you talking about a situation where a team already has a 26 year old 6'6 top 10 goalie prospect and a Olympic silver medal winning goalie tandem between the pipes?

Or a situation where a NHL's management team is so incredibly inept at negotiating that all an agent needs to do to find out what cards Jimbo is holding is use google?

Or a situation where we're giving a goalie prospect that, while holding some very impressive regular season statistics, couldn't make it to Hockey East championship.

A team is more than about just it's prospects. The financial part of it is equally important.

Regardless of whether or not Demko makes these performance bonuses, the fact of the matter is, the Canucks have to reserve this cap space JUST IN CASE. (cue the rebuilding teams don't need cap space chants)

we dont know what happened, what if, if we didnt give him those bonuses he went back to BC?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'm glad he's signed and cautiously optimistic about him (goalies are voodoo, after all, so you really have to take a wait-and-see approach). That said, I admit to being a bit amazed at the overlap I'm seeing from some fans/media that seems to believe both of the following:

1.) Demko is a sure-fire future #1 goaltender,

and

2.) Markstrom wasn't ready to start more games this year/the Canucks needed Miller/Markstrom still isn't ready to start 50-60 games next year.

Four years ago Markstrom was Demko: the #1 goalie prospect outside the NHL. Look how non-linear his development has been to get to be a decent goaltender by 25/26, when most good young goalies are ready to become NHL starters.

I don't even know if it's more than a 50/50 shot that Demko ends up being as good as Markstrom.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Are those your money? No
Those money means almost nothing if he plays in the AHL.
If he plays in the NHL next season? Fantastic

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Markstrom isn't even a prospect anymore. At this point, he is either a 1b or a bust. And Miller received his Silver more than half a decade ago. I don't see how that is relevant in the financial negotiation.

Canucks have also lost Schneider, Luongo, and Lack in 3 years. 1 starter every year. Any way you spin it, that looks horrible. So Demko had all the bargaining power. One look at the depth and he knew the Canucks needed him more than he needed them. What's after Markstrom? Cannata?

If the contract wasn't attractive, he'll head back to college, get the degree in Applied Psychology and wait until he's a UFA. I'm sure some team would be interested in the best goalie prospect right now. That's something the Canucks can't afford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->