Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The bigger decision on playing time for Demko and Markstrom isn't what happens in the last eight games of the season....it's what to do about Markstrom in the off-season. He's a UFA at the end of next season. Do they re-sign him to an extension now, or wait to see how he performs next year?

If they decided to move him, could they get more for him this summer or at the TDL next season? I know there's usually a glut of veteran goalies on the UFA market every year, but if you're convinced that Markstrom's form of the last three months isn't a mirage, then he's a legitimate top-tier starting goaltender.

And Lord knows there are some teams in both the Eastern and Western Conference who either aren't making the playoffs or will lose in the first round because of problems in the crease.

The time to maximize his value might this off-season. Otherwise they might face the same problem next season, where Markstrom gets a bulk of the starts and Demko is reduced to back-to-backs or mop-up duty.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The bigger decision on playing time for Demko and Markstrom isn't what happens in the last eight games of the season....it's what to do about Markstrom in the off-season. He's a UFA at the end of next season. Do they re-sign him to an extension now, or wait to see how he performs next year?

If they decided to move him, could they get more for him this summer or at the TDL next season? I know there's usually a glut of veteran goalies on the UFA market every year, but if you're convinced that Markstrom's form of the last three months isn't a mirage, then he's a legitimate top-tier starting goaltender.

And Lord knows there are some teams in both the Eastern and Western Conference who either aren't making the playoffs or will lose in the first round because of problems in the crease.

The time to maximize his value might this off-season. Otherwise they might face the same problem next season, where Markstrom gets a bulk of the starts and Demko is reduced to back-to-backs or mop-up duty.

I'd like to see Demko get a good portion of the starts the rest of the way, but my reasoning is completely different and I don't agree with this reasoning.

My reasoning is simple. Demko is the more rested goaltender. Markstrom's games played at 56 so far this season isn't too much, but they've been a hard, taxing 56 games. He went through periods of time being the only healthy goalie Green trusted enough to play so he'd play almost all the games for periods of time during which the Canucks were bleeding shots and scoring chances to the extent that some of the games Markstrom played had to be at least as tiring as two average games.

It's the same idea as Tanev and Edler on defence. The guys playing big minutes on a team hemmed in it's own end absorbed more hits and blocked more shots than would normally be the case. They get hurt more.

I suggested a couple of weeks ago that Markstrom might falter under the load. He had a great game right after I suggested it but has had two weak outings recently. Maybe I'm just exercising confirmation bias but it seems to me he could use a light load right now.

Meanwhile, I don't buy the "see what we have" idea right now. I think the Canucks have seen enough to make their decisions.

1. Markstrom has been a solid starter this season, even though some of his stats may not show it. He's faced a hideous number of scoring chances to the extent that even 56 games is too many. What you see of him the rest of this season, after the work he's already put in, means nothing at all.

Waiting until his contract is about to expire seems silly to me. However, signing him may not be that simple. I dislike long-term contracts for players as they reach their thirties and while I think Markstrom deserves another contract and it is in the Canucks' best interest to sign him, coming to a deal on what he is worth and how long the contract should be could be difficult.

I think the Canucks should be trying to sign Markstrom to about a 3 year deal. Two would be fine. He may want more. Money may be an issue. If it might be tough to sign him to a deal that's reasonable for the team, it's best to know that early on. If that is the case, you look to trade him while you can get some value out of him.

Then if it turns out the Canucks want to go with Demko as a starter during the term of Markstrom's extension and Markstrom is still playing well enough to be useful, you trade him, just so long as in the meantime you haven't created a situation where, to use the words of the immortal BobbyLu, his "contract sucks."

2. The Canucks are going to assume Demko is ready to assume a fair load as backup or even 1B goalie. After a weak start to his NHL season, he's been fine, even good, in his starts since then. They don't need to see more. They are going with Demko as 1B or frequently used backup next season regardless of what happens in the dog days of Garbage Time.

But on the other hand, there's every reason to let Markstrom start to regain some of his energy, so imo it makes sense to give him a bit of a rest.

3. Player Development-Demko has played little in Vancouver, part of the time being injured, part of the time it seemed Green was choosing Markstrom anyway. Demko has eased in, should now have some confidence and it shouldn't hurt his development to get more starts.

So sure, it makes sense to play Demko. I just don't buy that the play of Demko or Markstrom in Garbage Time while Demko has been underused (mostly due to injury) and Markstrom overused is going to be information the Canucks will or should rely on in making any decisions about the future.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
We can go two ways:

Trade Markstrom now when his value has never been higher. Teams like Buffalo should line up for a guy like him, I can see two 2nd rounders at least. We pick this route if we want to gather one last top10 pick for our last tank year, hello Drysdale and Guhle, because with QHughes and Markstrom, we are not going to be a bottom dwelling team anymore. With Demko as starter, I think we have a tough year ahead, but he will get a headstart to shoulder this team for many years to come.

Sign Markstrom and start competing. We are not going to be in the top 10 conversation anymore. We have our core, and the rest of the roster will have to be rounded up via FA and trades. Having a 1A and 1B is a luxury not many teams enjoy. I'm afraid this route is more risky because we are at least two elite talents away from being a long term contender. But frankly, I'm sick of posting in the tank thread. Roll the dice and let's go. Demko will be a great understudy for Markstrom.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Star in NCAA, excellent at the WJC, MVP and star of Utica, been to WC and good chance again. Now looking excellent in the NHL. There'll be up and downs early in his career like Vasky, Hellebuycek, Gibson did but he has everything you want in a number 1 goalie and has the resume and body of work through his development to prove it.

IMO, you either go into next season with Marky/Demko and have a 65-35 split.

Or sell high on Markstrom, look for a back-up and give Demko the net next year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yet many idiots on twitter hates him

Are these Demko numbers? I really like how solid he’s been. Marky is looking like the old Marky the last few he played. He’s been giving up the leaky goals again. I would trade Marky if we could get a second.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
In my opinion, the best choice is 100% to sell high on Markstrom by trading him now for a good asset.
Imo, you wait a couple months into season, some team will be struggling because of bad goaltending
That’s when you sell Marky

I also don’t think it’s a good idea to get Demko 50s games next season

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If you get a good offer on him now you take it, but I would at least want a 2nd rounder. If not, we’d be better off keeping Markstrom especially if we’re aiming for playoffs next season.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Maybe after the Canes get lit up they can afford one of their young dmen for a real goalie like Markstrom

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Trade Markstrom? That's not going to happen at the draft. It can happen once Ryan Miller signs a 2 year contract to mentor Demko. :popcorn:

Reactions: lindgren

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well either way I think you sign Marky now if you can get him at a reasonable number on the extension. If you do a good job with that contract it gives you lots of outs. Either you trade Marky when some team panics because all their goalies get hurt, or a contender realizes they need goaltending to get over the hump. Or the contract is reasonable so if Demko takes a bit longer than expected you aren't losing much by retaining Marky.

Demko is absolutely NOT READY to take on more than 30 games next year. It would be a miracle if he came in and did what Binnington did this year. Also, the team in front of him is not good enough to complement Demko.

I think we should re-sign marky and let Demko have a real development curve. I do think Thatcher belongs at the NHL level, because he was getting away with some ridiculous stuff in the AHL that hasn't served him well up here. The next step for him is to catch up to the NHL game and then after that establish some consistency.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Imo, you wait a couple months into season, some team will be struggling because of bad goaltending
That’s when you sell Marky

I also don’t think it’s a good idea to get Demko 50s games next season

If you do that, there is a risk associated with the transaction. If Markstrom isn't quite as good, goodluck getting much.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you do that, there is a risk associated with the transaction. If Markstrom isn't quite as good, goodluck getting much.
Risk vs reward.
Best case is signing and him playing well.
2nd is unsigned and playing well. Means you have to pay fair value.
3rd unsigned and not playing well. Avoid a bad deal.
Worst, signed and not playing well. Have a Darling or Allen contract which you can’t move.

How confident are you that this isn’t a career season?

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
In 2016 the team - correctly - split starts 50/50 down the stretch between Miller and Markstrom, who was in his first full season with the club at the time.

This is exactly what should have been happening this year, and there is no argument to the contrary.
The one argument is that Miller and Markstrom are two very different players to the organization

Miller -- Aging goaltender who would be leaving the team a season later due to an expiring contract. No need to make him think that he has any factor on the future of the franchise

Markstrom -- 29 year old goaltender who is coming into his own this season. UFA in a year, and the team may want him to be the goaltender of the future if he can keep up his play. You want him to know that he is this teams #1 and that they are willing to deploy him as such if he wants

I get we wanted to see Demko more, and I think Green could have played him another game or two, but the team also has the possibility of Markstrom being the future goalie of the franchise for quite a while if he can continue his incredible play. You want him happy, you possibly want him to re-sign in a year. If he wants to play, he plays tbh

I also don't think this hurts Demko's development any. He still got a few games in to end the season and has been able to practice and work with Ian Clark which is beneficial. I don't think an extra 3-4 games will be the difference between him being a Roberto Luongo or Peter Budaj

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think you talk contract extension with Marky now and hopefully sign him to something reasonable on a three year extension. Then you split the starts between him and Demko at 50/30 next season and re-evaluate next off-season. If Demko is ready for full-time duties maybe you look to move Marky or perhaps you flip Demko ala Schneider for Horvat.

Last edited:

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
Although I agree that selling Markstrom is idotic because A) He could turn out to be an above average starter in the league
Or B) Forces Demko a starting job.
We could Always target a starter, and if a team (like edmonton) is desperate and overvalues him, I'd be interested to see what we could acquire. This season could simply be an outlier for Marky.

Feb 19, 2018
Well either way I think you sign Marky now if you can get him at a reasonable number on the extension. If you do a good job with that contract it gives you lots of outs. Either you trade Marky when some team panics because all their goalies get hurt, or a contender realizes they need goaltending to get over the hump. Or the contract is reasonable so if Demko takes a bit longer than expected you aren't losing much by retaining Marky.

Demko is absolutely NOT READY to take on more than 30 games next year. It would be a miracle if he came in and did what Binnington did this year. Also, the team in front of him is not good enough to complement Demko.

I think we should re-sign marky and let Demko have a real development curve. I do think Thatcher belongs at the NHL level, because he was getting away with some ridiculous stuff in the AHL that hasn't served him well up here. The next step for him is to catch up to the NHL game and then after that establish some consistency.

We will lose one of the two for nothing in the expansion draft the following year. Trade one or the other and maximize your assets.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We will lose one of the two for nothing in the expansion draft the following year. Trade one or the other and maximize your assets.

That's not a given. Many teams would protect one goaltender. There will be goalies available who is as good as Markstrom and or younger. Outside of the Canucks being Cup contenders and Markstrom being the #1, there shouldn't be an issue protecting Demko. If Markstrom gets picked, someone else doesn't get picked.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Every team loses someone. So depends who else doesn’t get picked.

Washington has to decide between extending Holtby and likely giving him protection against the ED or letting him go and giving the job to Samsonov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad