Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I would not be shocked if he gets traded in the off season. I feel the team does not believe in him long term
I could see this. And I think the emergence of Markstrom this year as a bonafide number one has a lot to do with it. They’re either gonna hitch their wagon to Markstrom after next year or not. Demko is 24, so if they decide to sign marky to a 4-5 year deal then demko is gonna be wasting away here, and undoubtedly will want out anyway. Having dipietro as a younger guy allows them to kick the can down the road a little longer .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
This the last straw for me with this management if Demko doesnt get more games. He dam well better play tonight

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I said it at the time, but it was a poor decision to attempt to bring up Demko this year. He was coming of a major concussion, hadn't played a lot games (and it's not that he lit the AHL on fire this season either), and now he's mostly going to sit on the bench in Vancouver. It's a wasted development year. They should have let him keep cooking in Utica. Then give him a full season run as backup.

He's worth even less as a trade chip now given his usage this season.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I said it at the time, but it was a poor decision to attempt to bring up Demko this year. He was coming of a major concussion, hadn't played a lot games (and it's not that he lit the AHL on fire this season either), and now he's mostly going to sit on the bench in Vancouver. It's a wasted development year. They should have let him keep cooking in Utica. Then give him a full season run as backup.

But his agent called them, Bossram. He called them. You just can't do anything else in those circumstances but hastily trade your second goaltender to the local team wherever you happen to be playing that night.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Green doesnt know what Demko is capable of...because he doesnt play him in enough games! Kudos to Markstrom for an outstanding season, but let the kid play and lets see what he can do!

Reactions: B-rock

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
I would not be shocked if he gets traded in the off season. I feel the team does not believe in him long term
I think there is a possibility that him and/or an other prospect will be traded with our 1st round pick to move up in the draft.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
But his agent called them, Bossram. He called them. You just can't do anything else in those circumstances but hastily trade your second goaltender to the local team wherever you happen to be playing that night.

Maybe I can call Benning and ask him to relieve himself of his duties

Reactions: B-rock and MS

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Disagree. Goalies can gain a ton of valuable experience working directly with goalie coaches and practicing with NHL caliber players, it completely makes sense for him to be up here at his current age. There is no point in leaving him in the AHL, he has proved enough there. Let him get a good sense of what it feels like to be in the NHL as a back up so that he knows what to prepare for next season.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
THIS is what frustrates me with management. It seems like they are so rash when they make their decisions and easily swayed by players, personnel, and their agents. I wish they would've taken more time with some of their decisions because some of them could/have turned out bad. Kesler asks for a trade, Dahlen frustrated in utica, Demko's agent thinking he's ready (which i think he is). But that's not the point.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Disagree. Goalies can gain a ton of valuable experience working directly with goalie coaches and practicing with NHL caliber players, it completely makes sense for him to be up here at his current age. There is no point in leaving him in the AHL, he has proved enough there. Let him get a good sense of what it feels like to be in the NHL as a back up so that he knows what to prepare for next season.

He's had one good season in the AHL. There's surely more he can learn. And he's coming off a major injury, barely played in Utica, then brought him up here.

Let him get reps instead of playing once every 3 weeks. He can get a full summer and next season start working with the Canucks' coaching staff.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Demko is here long term, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Markstrom is traded and Benning signs Bobrovsky.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
He's had one good season in the AHL. There's surely more he can learn. And he's coming off a major injury, barely played in Utica, then brought him up here.

Let him get reps instead of playing once every 3 weeks. He can get a full summer and next season start working with the Canucks' coaching staff.

He played about 20 games in the AHL than Schneider, who most considered spent too much time in the NHL. If you look at other starters, most spent less time in the AHL then Demko has. Goalie is different from other positions, we are doing him a service having him up here despite not getting in much game action. He looked good in the AHL last year, and fine this year despite the injury. There’s no further point in letting him marinate, let’s see where he’s at.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I heard on TSN radio a few nights ago that Demko is supposed to get 4 starts out of the last 11 games. They asked this question with management before the 11th game.

I think he should be getting the majority of the starts.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I'm so glad we called Demko up to let him learn while sitting on the bench. /s

This whole team, from management down to coaching is just so f***ing incompetent and shit at their jobs that it blows my mind. I don't care that Green is only year 2 into his contract, guy needs to go.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I'm so glad we called Demko up to let him learn while sitting on the bench. /s

This whole team, from management down to coaching is just so ****ing incompetent and **** at their jobs that it blows my mind. I don't care that Green is only year 2 into his contract, guy needs to go.
????
An nhl back up sits about 50~60 games per season

Not to mention Demko’s season got cut short

Again, panicking without a real reason

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

He hasn't "proven" a damn thing in the AHL...

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
????
An nhl back up sits about 50~60 games per season

Not to mention Demko’s season got cut short

Again, panicking without a real reason

? I'm talking about the final 9 games of the season. There's no reason why Demko shouldn't be getting more starts down the stretch.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
? I'm talking about the final 9 games of the season. There's no reason why Demko shouldn't be getting more starts down the stretch.
Actually there is

Markstrom deserves to play more if he wants, he’s done way more than anyone in this org for the Canucks

Holy crap, there’s a lot more to be mad about Green’s deployment, but not in the net

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
This is total bs. Markstrom is the starter and deserves the majority of the games.
Not if you prioritize player development. These are meaningless games right now. Markstrom giving us extra wins are not beneficial for the long term outlook of our organization. Demko getting the starter role for a small stretch can give you a good idea on how far away he is for a starter workload. This will let you make more informed decisions on markstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad