Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
This is total bs. Markstrom is the starter and deserves the majority of the games.

So a non contending, non playoff team for 4 straight years should go into next season with no definitive answers on young players and prospects that might actually make the future better? That is what competent organizations use these games for.

Reactions: TruKnyte

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Not if you prioritize player development. These are meaningless games right now. Markstrom giving us extra wins are not beneficial for the long term outlook of our organization. Demko getting the starter role for a small stretch can give you a good idea on how far away he is for a starter workload. This will let you make more informed decisions on markstrom.
Completely disagree. Markstrom has proven that he is the guy with his play this year. Demko will most likely be back up for a few years (assuming he works out). You don’t park your team MVP just because some impatient fans want to watch the shiny new toy. 35-40% of the starts for Demko is more than adequate

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Actually there is

Markstrom deserves to play more if he wants, he’s done way more than anyone in this org for the Canucks

Holy crap, there’s a lot more to be mad about Green’s deployment, but not in the net

It is not about that, nothing about what Markstrom deserves. He is proven, they know what they have. Completely stupid to go into next year with Demko playing 5 games.

Reactions: MarkMM and TruKnyte

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So a non contending, non playoff team for 4 straight years should go into next season with no definitive answers on young players and prospects that might actually make the future better? That is what competent organizations use these games for.
He will get his starts. Under no scenario is he going into next season as the starter. Demko will be backup. Show some patience

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
He will get his starts. Under no scenario is he going into next season as the starter. Demko will be backup. Show some patience

It's not about us as fans wanting to see more of Demko, I like both him and Markstrom as our netminders.

It's more for Demko to see gametime so he has a better idea of what to work on in the offseason. He's played what, like 5 games for us so far? He might get another couple starts before the season ends, and I don't know if that's enough for the player and the team to design a development plan for him.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It's not about us as fans wanting to see more of Demko, I like both him and Markstrom as our netminders.

It's more for Demko to see gametime so he has a better idea of what to work on in the offseason. He's played what, like 5 games for us so far? He might get another couple starts before the season ends, and I don't know if that's enough for the player and the team to design a development plan for him.

Exactly. The clowns in management of the Canucks continue to show no clue in player development. Right from the first season with McCann onward.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Completely disagree. Markstrom has proven that he is the guy with his play this year. Demko will most likely be back up for a few years (assuming he works out). You don’t park your team MVP just because some impatient fans want to watch the shiny new toy. 35-40% of the starts for Demko is more than adequate
I'm not being impatient you're just being short sighted. I'm prioritizing the future over the present. Giving him more games allows us to make a proper assessment of his current play of where hes at. He just came off injury and barely played at the nhl this year. You already know what you have in markstrom. Hes definitely a starter and giving him more starts in these meaningless games does nothing for the long term outlook of our team.

Demko is the future and he is no way going to be a backup for the next few years. The guy is 24. You expect him to be a starter at 26-27?

Reactions: MarkMM

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Exactly. The clowns in management of the Canucks continue to show no clue in player development. Right from the first season with McCann onward.
McCann was thrown into the fire and was impacted negatively. So now you want to anoint Demko the starter even though he isn’t ready and hasn’t earned it?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I'm not being impatient you're just being short sighted. I'm prioritizing the future over the present. Giving him more games allows us to make a proper assessment of his current play of where hes at. He just came off injury and barely played at the nhl this year. You already know what you have in markstrom. Hes definitely a starter and giving him more starts in these meaningless games does nothing for the long term outlook of our team.

Demko is the future and he is no way going to be a backup for the next few years. The guy is 24. You expect him to be a starter at 26-27?
The Canucks didn’t have time to evaluate Demko after several seasons in Utica? He likely will be the backup for the next two seasons. He hasn’t earned or proven anything. Nothing wrong with using him as a number 2 next season and a 1B the following season. The Canucks have a pretty goood track record of developing goalies

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Oh, but we’re trying to make the playoffs! God I hate that line from our management. Play Demko, and lets see what we have. Maybe ?Demko plays great, which allows us to trade Markstrom?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Oh, but we’re trying to make the playoffs! God I hate that line from our management. Play Demko, and lets see what we have. Maybe ?Demko plays great, which allows us to trade Markstrom?
If Demko plays a strong 7 games you are ready to trade Markstrom? I’m not. We will have a very young team next season and I’d like some stability in the crease

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Demko plays a strong 7 games you are ready to trade Markstrom? I’m not. We will have a very young team next season and I’d like some stability in the crease
Sign a UFA goalie to back up Demko. We are rebuilding. We need draft picks.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
The Canucks didn’t have time to evaluate Demko after several seasons in Utica? He likely will be the backup for the next two seasons. He hasn’t earned or proven anything. Nothing wrong with using him as a number 2 next season and a 1B the following season. The Canucks have a pretty goood track record of developing goalies
The Canucks have evaluated his play at the ahl level. Surely you understand that projecting performance is different from seeing actual performance. What is the harm in seeing him play the majority of games? I have yet to see a single negative. I've never once said he was taking the starter role next season.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

No but it give you more games to evaluate trading markstrom at next years deadline.

What in your mind is the benefit of playing markstrom these few games?

The benefit of playing demko is clearly outlined but what’s the benefit of playing markstrom?

Reactions: MarkMM

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In 2016 the team - correctly - split starts 50/50 down the stretch between Miller and Markstrom, who was in his first full season with the club at the time.

This is exactly what should have been happening this year, and there is no argument to the contrary.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Demko and Marky should platoon the remaining games.

Demko has had one great game, one and a half solid games, and two tire fires. THat's pretty much the good-bad-good-bad pattern you see in a lot of young goalies.

I was initially in favour of leaving him in Utica but considering the disparity between his great numbers down there and the bad habits he's exhibited up here, he fully needs to be the backup next year at the NHL level. This is sink or swim time for him - I'm still not convinced he has gotten a handle on the speed of the NHL game, and even after that happens he will have to develop basic consistency at the NHL level.

Having said that he should absolutely be playing the playoffs in Utica on the off chance they make it.

There's a long way to go.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sign a UFA goalie to back up Demko. We are rebuilding. We need draft picks.
That isn’t going to be how the Canucks see it. Bennings job is on the line next season. If they don’t make the playoffs I’m quite certain he will be fired. So I don’t see him riding his hopes of a new contract on just Demko.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That isn’t going to be how the Canucks see it. Bennings job is on the line next season. If they don’t make the playoffs I’m quite certain he will be fired. So I don’t see him riding his hopes of a new contract on just Demko.
If that’s the case, then our owner is an idiot. The directive from above should be to get draft picks, by trading guys like Markstrom, and playing the younger guys. Will Markstrom even be around when the “so called” rebuild is complete? Same goes for Tanev and Sutter.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
McCann was thrown into the fire and was impacted negatively. So now you want to anoint Demko the starter even though he isn’t ready and hasn’t earned it?

Dont be silly. I want to go into next season with more answers than questions about a 24 year old goaltender who needs more than 5 NHL games this year at this stage of his developement. Information is power. There is a negotiation with Markstrom coming up. Knowing what you have factors in. Maybe Demko becomes a trade chip. Maybe Markstrom does later next year.

When you are a bottom feeding team that never makes the playoffs you need to be plannng for the future far, far better than Jim Benning does.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dont be silly. I want to go into next season with more answers than questions about a 24 year old goaltender who needs more than 5 NHL games this year at this stage of his developement. Information is power. There is a negotiation with Markstrom coming up. Knowing what you have factors in. Maybe Demko becomes a trade chip. Maybe Markstrom does later next year.

When you are a bottom feeding team that never makes the playoffs you need to be plannng for the future far, far better than Jim Benning does.
Totally agree. It’s pointless to our future to play Markstrom right now. Regardless, I’d still trade Markstrom for draft picks. I bet he gets us a second, and maybe a third.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Ferraro right as usual

Ray Ferraro says the Canucks should be trying to win in this final stretch, but not at the expense of evaluating what they have, and learning what players are capable of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad