Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I remember Schneider looking shaky/nervous in his first few starts as a Canuck as well. The dude had a .877 sv% in his first 8 appearances for the Canucks lol. Not to mention that Demko probably isn't used to not playing for this long during the season either. I'd actually be more surprised if Demko didn't show some nerves during his first few starts with the Canucks.

Reactions: CpatainCanuck

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Here's a twisted thought:

If Demko becomes a legitimate top15 goalie, which players in the 2014 draft are you taking over that? Here's my running list:

Brayden Point
Brandon Montour (Maybe)
David Pastrnak
Alex Tuch (Maybe)
Dylan Larkin
Nikolaj Ehlers (Maybe)
William Nylander
Leon Draisaitl
Sam Reinhart (Maybe)
Aaron Ekblad (Maybe)

5 for sure, but what a turn of events that would be?

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011

If Demko becomes a legitimate top15 goalie, which players in the 2014 draft are you taking over that? Here's my running list:

Brayden Point
Brandon Montour (Maybe)
David Pastrnak
Alex Tuch (Maybe)
Dylan Larkin
Nikolaj Ehlers (Maybe)
William Nylander
Leon Draisaitl
Sam Reinhart (Maybe)
Aaron Ekblad (Maybe)

Jake Virtanen

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Brayden Point
Brandon Montour (Maybe)
David Pastrnak
Alex Tuch (Maybe)
Dylan Larkin
Nikolaj Ehlers (Maybe)
William Nylander
Leon Draisaitl
Sam Reinhart (Maybe)
Aaron Ekblad (Maybe)

Depends ROE, still too early to say. Seems like goalies are harder to rank in redrafts until many years later. 5 years and its still hard to really place Demko in a redraft.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
In the previous game as well as the pre-season games, Demko demonstrated an inability to track the puck, skate, or read the play at an NHL level.

Clark has seemingly turned around a lot of those issues in a miraculously short amount of time. He was a completely different goalie last night.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
In the previous game as well as the pre-season games, Demko demonstrated an inability to track the puck, skate, or read the play at an NHL level.

Clark has seemingly turned around a lot of those issues in a miraculously short amount of time. He was a completely different goalie last night.

Mossey, what do you think about Demko's lower body movement, like his pushes/slides?

Also, what do you think about his glove hand, and his mental make-up?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Mossey, what do you think about Demko's lower body movement, like his pushes/slides?

Also, what do you think about his glove hand, and his mental make-up?

I think before he had a lot of stiff-leggedness and it made his pushes weak because he wouldn't get any loading. Like he would already be stretched or extended so he wouldn't go anywhere and just end up doing the splits. Or even when he did get good push out of it he would be open through the middle and also out of control.

Like in general even looking at highlight saves in Utica he was generally really loose - a lot of wasted movement and over-commitment. Versus buffalo he looked in control, his edge work was crisp, he had much smoother transitions into slides. He had one awkward glove side lean but that was it the whole night.

Glove hand I haven't seen enough to say anything but I do recall a bunch of instances where he knocked pucks down instead of catching them. But I don't put a huge amount of stock into that in general, or at least not as much as people who seem to constantly comment on like 1-2 batted pucks a game.

Mental make-up I have no idea, but according to the Utica guys he's been good on some bad teams. That is a certain kind of mental strength, although I would say that his current role is going to be just as challenging if not more so. It's hard to play so little once you're the starter.

Reactions: Peen

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm someone who has always been a bit of a Demko doubter but I liked a lot of what I saw in the Sabres game. Thought he moved very well in the crease and look very composed. Demko definitely has NHL upside. The difference between a NHL franchise goalie and a NHL journeyman is more upstairs than physical. From every thing I saw, he definitely has the physical gifts. Now it's going to be about how far he can go upstairs that determines his destiny. Demko does look like he's made tremendous leaps in his progress since we first started getting a look at him.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I'm someone who has always been a bit of a Demko doubter but I liked a lot of what I saw in the Sabres game. Thought he moved very well in the crease and look very composed. Demko definitely has NHL upside. The difference between a NHL franchise goalie and a NHL journeyman is more upstairs than physical. From every thing I saw, he definitely has the physical gifts. Now it's going to be about how far he can go upstairs that determines his destiny. Demko does look like he's made tremendous leaps in his progress since we first started getting a look at him.

The mental side of Demko I think is his best quality. Did you hear what he said about pressure being made up and dependent on the subjective choice to experience it? He's a modern day philosopher goalie. His nickname should be Thatcher Descartes.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Brayden Point
Brandon Montour (Maybe)
David Pastrnak
Alex Tuch (Maybe)
Dylan Larkin
Nikolaj Ehlers (Maybe)
William Nylander
Leon Draisaitl
Sam Reinhart (Maybe)
Aaron Ekblad (Maybe)

Wouldn’t take Nylander if I knew he’d be playing like this, this season...the guy has been brutal.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Missed a bit, Demko got an MRI, didn't he? What was the result of that? Estimate for how long he'll be out?

Thanks!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Missed a bit, Demko got an MRI, didn't he? What was the result of that? Estimate for how long he'll be out?

Thanks!
Sounds like a while. Only 25 games left this season, no reason to rush him back. Could be the season now

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
According to Green he hasn't mapped out which games each goaltender is going to get so...maybe 2-3? Pretty dumb if that's the case.

This shouldn’t be Green’s call.

Management should be stepping in and making sure he plays 50% of these meaningless games.

It’s just absurd that we called him up mid-season to get him ... 5 starts. With the team miles out of the playoffs.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Management should be stepping in and making sure he plays 50% of these meaningless games.

It’s just absurd that we called him up mid-season to get him ... 5 starts. With the team miles out of the playoffs.

You would think at some point there was a discussion between Benning and Green about this. Why make the Nilsson move just to have Demko sit?

Reactions: 420Canuck

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I would not be shocked if he gets traded in the off season. I feel the team does not believe in him long term

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Benning let Green get away for it forever, why would they stop him now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad