Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would say that’s a good start for him too.

DET - Marky
CAR - Demko
COL - Marky
PHI - Demko
WSH - Marky
CHI - Demko

The schedule actually lines up perfectly to just rotate them.

Yes but that's not going to happen. Marky is the #1 and should be treated as such unless they prove otherwise.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
He's at the point that even if he's not ready, he should be trying to get ready up here.

In his last stint up here Demko was so bad that you couldn't justify him being even a back up. He has to now change that impression.

This is a bit silly. He played well last year. The team gave up on him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is a bit silly. He played well last year. The team gave up on him.

I hate to agree with Bleachy Boy but Demko did not look ready last season but that's not atypical. With goalies, it's really not about NHL starts. It seems like either they are ready or they are not.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yes but that's not going to happen. Marky is the #1 and should be treated as such unless they prove otherwise.

Obviously it won’t happen but I don’t want Demko sitting for too long. I want to see what he can bring and want him to get as many games as he can get in. Marky is the guy and that shouldn’t be confused but I want to see Demko.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
With all the Carter Hart Hype in Philly, here’s another young goalie taking the next step to the NHL! Played his 2nd career game, 36 Save game against buffalo!

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
How was Demko bad last season?

The only game he played he looked okay until the team collapsed in front of him in the 3rd... lol

Reactions: bbud

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
With a sub .900 SV%.

Anyway, that was just my impression. It's what I remember. Moving along...

He played fine Columbus owned van in 3rd had a couple really lucky bounces and that's not all on a goalie yep maybe should have had 1 back but that wasn't an issue and results matter the result was like tonight a w

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He played fine Columbus owned van in 3rd had a couple really lucky bounces and that's not all on a goalie yep maybe should have had 1 back but that wasn't an issue and results matter the result was like tonight a w

If you want to judge him primarily on the result. Feel free.

I remember a shaky goalie that escaped with a win. Let's leave it there.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
If you want to judge him primarily on the result. Feel free.

I remember a shaky goalie that escaped with a win. Let's leave it there.

I'll judge him over time he is a good prospect showed well tonight by this time next year we have basis for entirely different debate .

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'll judge him over time he is a good prospect showed well tonight by this time next year we have basis for entirely different debate .

It's not really a debate. That was my impression from his 1 game. Am I allowed to remember it that way?

I didn't realize that recalling my 1 game impression of him would warrant such a defense, but here we are. My last post on the topic.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What the heck?

He played 1 game!

He looked erratic to say the least.

Not the wrong call to send him back after that. People who know more (than me) about goaltending did a solid breakdown of what was wrong with his play.

He looked like a different goalie (to my eyes) this time around.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
He’s 2-0..... Regardless of anything he’s been in net and gotten us 4pts out of a possible 4pts.

That's not how you evaluate goalies.

Determining that he wasn't an NHL backup based off of 1 game is silly to say the least though.

Feb 19, 2018
That's not how you evaluate goalies.

Determining that he wasn't an NHL backup based off of 1 game is silly to say the least though.

Finding a way to win and shutting the door when it’s the most pressure packed is a great way to evaluate.
Both of his starts were 1 goal wins.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Very happy to see him play well and get the win last night but I will say this again: if the coaching staff here continues to rotate their goalies the way they did when Nilsson was here then Demko is in for a rough ride. So far so good but we shall see...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Finding a way to win and shutting the door when it’s the most pressure packed is a great way to evaluate.
Like Cloutier's three consecutive seasons of 30+ wins?

Too early to evaluate his performance in any event. Have to except some 'growing pains' as he gets used to the NHL level of play. It's to be expected. He'll get better.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Was at the game last night and sat a few rows away from Demko next to some really annoying Sabres fans with kazoos. Demko really got the crowd going. Maggie boy mags will be the best Goalie in Canucks history, book it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Deems to me Demko has that quality that all top-tier starting goalies seem to have--the ability to block out the last goal and re-focus. They just let one in, but they're determined not to let the next one by them. He seems to make huge saves when the team needs them most.

This was also a feature of his play in Utica. For goalies it's now 'how' many saves they make, but 'when' they make them. And his calmness in the net seems to inspire confidence in his teammates. His puckhandling, which was always was a big part of his game in the AHL, will improve as well once he's on the same page with the d-men.

God knows d=men like Pouliot, Gudberanson and even Stecher and Hutton desperately need the kills of a superior puckhandling goalie.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Was at the game last night and sat a few rows away from Demko next to some really annoying Sabres fans with kazoos. Demko really got the crowd going. Maggie boy mags will be the best Goalie in Canucks history, book it.

Kazoos huh. Maybe if you had brought your vuvuzela you could’ve drowned them out.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009

The Canucks had a 3 goal lead with 4 mins left in his first game. He didn't shut the door when it was most pressure packed against Columbus.

That said, he played a great game last night and made some timely saves. Demko looked clam and collected all game long. Let's hope he builds off this in his next start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->