GDT: That Wonderful Time of the Year: BBHOF Balloting

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
So guys should get into the hall based on whether you stopped to watch them play lol. What the hell does that even mean?

Halladay was definitely a hall of famer. One of the most dominant pitchers of the 2000's and did it in by far the toughest division in baseball.
No, players with 100 career WAR are the only players who should be allowed to be immortalized in the Hall, not second rate "good guys" who were nice to reporters and had good, not great careers.

Halladay had one dominant season, so I don't know where this "dominant" career is. His first CY was only because Pedro didn't have the games, or he would have bested it. As a matter of fact, Pedro was the better pitcher.

Halladay is a 65 WAR pitcher. Nothing more, nothing less. Kevin Brown was better.
Fergie Jenkins
Tiant

None of them belong in the Hall.

Sabathia will have more WAR then Halladay.

Halladay is closer to David Cone then he is to Maddux, who is a legit HoFer

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
No, players with 100 career WAR are the only players who should be allowed to be immortalized in the Hall, not second rate "good guys" who were nice to reporters and had good, not great careers.

Halladay had one dominant season, so I don't know where this "dominant" career is. His first CY was only because Pedro didn't have the games, or he would have bested it. As a matter of fact, Pedro was the better pitcher.

Halladay is a 65 WAR pitcher. Nothing more, nothing less. Kevin Brown was better.
Fergie Jenkins
Tiant

Because Sabathia had a longer career. That’s the only reason why Sabathia will end up having a higher WAR total. That has nothing to do with greatness or talent level. Like I said earlier, WAR values longevity over peak and prime. It’s useful, but not a complete reference to measure a Hall of Fame career. There are nine pitchers in MLB history who have a career WAR greater than 100. You think there should only be nine pitchers in the Hall?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Fergie Jenkins
Tiant

So you're just gonna ignore that Halladay pitched in the toughest division in baseball.

Your 100 WAR rule is just silly. So only 31 players in 140 years of baseball should be in the hall?

WAR isn't the be all end all of stats in baseball anyhow. It's probably the best stat out there but its still imperfect(just ask Bill James). You have to at least look at their clutch score.

I said that Halladay was one of the most dominant pitchers of the 2000's. Not sure how you can argue that. You obviously have a different definition of dominant than me. He had at least 5 dominant seasons and that's not counting 2005 when he was on pace to win another cy young before getting injured.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Because Sabathia had a longer career. That’s the only reason why Sabathia will end up having a higher WAR total. That has nothing to do with greatness or talent level. Like I said earlier, WAR values longevity over peak and prime. It’s useful, but not a complete reference to measure a Hall of Fame career. There are nine pitchers in MLB history who have a career WAR greater than 100. You think there should only be nine pitchers in the Hall?
Explain longevity to Pujols, Griffey, etc.

Griffey, as I already stated, was nothing after 30 outside of one year, while Pujols has been nothing since he became a Angel.

Pujols, who has 100 WAR, put up around 85 WAR in ten years. That's a HoFer.

Halladay wasn't better then Pedro, who was the better pitcher during their overlap who was a huge reason why the Jays were never considered relevant during Pedro's tenure on the Red Sox...and I wouldnt put Pedro in the Hall. As good as he was, he wasnt Greg Maddux good.

In my opinion, anybody under 100 WAR in the Hall is a pity induction. I am fine with 31 great players and a reason for generations to strive for excellence instead of reporter charity.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

Griffey, as I already stated, was nothing after 30 outside of one year, while Pujols has been nothing since he became a Angel.

Halladay wasn't better then Pedro, who was the better pitcher during their overlap who was a huge reason why the Jays were never considered relevant during Pedro's tenure on the Red Sox...and I wouldnt put Pedro in the Hall. As good as he was, he wasnt Greg Maddux good.

In my opinion, anybody under 100 WAR in the Hall is a pity induction. I am fine with 31 great players and a reason for generations to strive for excellence instead of reporter charity.
You don’t think Pedro and Griffey are Hall of Famers? Goodbye, we have nothing more to discuss.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I was just gonna mention Spahn. Another start or two and he'd be hall worthy lol.

Spahn, DiMaggio, Koufax, Gibson, Foxx, Griffey, Carlton, Pedro, Clemente......not hall of famers apparently. :shakehead

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You don’t think Pedro and Griffey are Hall of Famers? Goodbye, we have nothing more to discuss.
I wasn't discussing anything.

I was giving my opinion. If anybody thinks a watered down HoF is something special, more power to them.

Some people only eat filet, while others eat skirt steak. Some people only wear Jordan's, while others are happy wearing Walmart shoes. I just find it completely embarrassing that Harold Baines and Roy Halladay are now peers with the greats this game has seen and a complete slap in the face to the Babe Ruth's, and Cy Youngs of the storied history of baseball.

No more, no less.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Anybody that actually watched Halladay pitch and came away only saying "I mean he wasn't bad but...". No he was the best pitcher in baseball for a decade.

He'd have a lot more recognition if he played in NY/LA/BOS etc.

He indicated he wants in as a Jay multiple times. Even the Phillies collective is saying put him in as a Jay (likely because they already took the step of indicting him to their hall of fame, but still)

This would be a bit different if it was like Vladimir Guerrero where he split his time fairly evenly between Montreal and Anaheim, but had his crowning achievement as an Angel (AL MVP) as opposed to just being really, really good for the Expos.

Halladay won a cy young with the Jays and the Phils.

Anyone who suggest he should go in as a Phillie should get their head checked. People typically associate him w/ Toronto.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
halladay would have eventually gotten in but his death is no doubt the reason he got in first ballot

This is probably true.

On a related note, who decides which hat he'll "wear" at the induction? Or rather, his plaque I guess.

Does his family make the call, or the league?

Either way I hope it's a Jays hat, even if his best performance was in Philly.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

thanks for making it crystal clear to everyone how invalid your thoughts are

Sep 19, 2008
"No balls and a strike to Martínez. Line drive, we are tied! Griffey is coming around! In the corner is Bernie. He's going to try to score! Here's the division championship! Mariners win it! Mariners win it!"

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Halladay only had one dominant season...interesting cause he had two with the Phillies 2010-2010. More crap being spread. Should have won the Cy Young both years. His 2011 was better than 2010, where they gave it to Kershaw.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Halladay only had one dominant season...interesting cause he had two with the Phillies 2010-2010. More crap being spread. Should have won the Cy Young both years. His 2011 was better than 2010, where they gave it to Kershaw.

You could argue that Doc's 02, 03, 08 and 09 seasons were just as good if not better than 2010. 2011 is clearly his best season.

He'll go in as a Blue Jay and rightfully so.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Who would be the pitching equivalent of Harold Baines?

Jamie Moyer? Danny Darwin? Mark Buehrle?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad