GDT: That Wonderful Time of the Year: BBHOF Balloting

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
https://www.tsn.ca/rivera-halladay-top-newcomers-on-hall-of-fame-ballot-1.1212247

NEW YORK — Career saves leader Mariano Rivera and late pitcher Roy Halladay are among 20 new candidates on the Hall of Fame ballot for the Baseball Writers' Association of America, joined by 15 holdovers headed by Edgar Martinez.

Left-hander Andy Pettitte and infielders Todd Helton, Michael Young and Miguel Tejada also are among the newcomers on the ballot announced Monday.

Steroids-tainted stars Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds each appear on the ballot for the seventh time. Clemens rose to 57.3 per cent in the 2018 ballot but fell 75 votes short of the 75 per cent needed, and Bonds was 79 votes shy at 56.4 per cent. Martinez was 20 votes short at 70.4 per cent, Mike Mussina at 63.5 per cent and Curt Schilling at 51.2 per cent.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
bonds
clemens
mussina
edgar
rivera
manny
walker
sosa

i don't think halladay should get in if santana fell off the ballot in his first year

Reactions: Sweetbutt

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Here's my problem with the Hall of Fame:

At their best, Johan Santana was clearly a better pitcher than Mussina

And I'm not talking about a 1 season blip of superiority. For more than half a decade Santana was better than Mussina ever was

So how does one justify inducting Mussina, but not Santana?

Reactions: 2Pair

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Here's my problem with the Hall of Fame:

At their best, Johan Santana was clearly a better pitcher than Mussina

And I'm not talking about a 1 season blip of superiority. For more than half a decade Santana was better than Mussina ever was

So how does one justify inducting Mussina, but not Santana?

Is there not something to be said for longevity? I get what you're saying, but Mussina put together a pretty strong and consistent 18 year career.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
bonds
clemens
mussina
edgar
rivera
manny
walker
sosa

i don't think halladay should get in if santana fell off the ballot in his first year

Why? And why do people always underrated durability/longevity...?

NoHan had a HoF peak/prime but Halladay's prime was much longer.

100 more games started and 700+ more innings pitched.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Why? And why do people always underrated durability/longevity...?

NoHan had a HoF peak/prime but Halladay's prime was much longer.

100 more games started and 700+ more innings pitched.

santana fell off the ballot after one year. i get halladay had a longer prime, but for a guy like santana to fall off the ballot after one year, i just don't think its right that a guy who was pretty much on the same tier should get in. santana's peak was insane

and i agree that quality > quantity. longevity should of course be taken into consideration to an extent but don't let its effect on someone's numbers fool you. albert belle should 100% be a HOF'er, but he isn't because he didn't play long enough (and because he was a massive headcase)

Reactions: Neutrinos

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
With the quality over quantity argument, you guys make it sound like it's Jamie Moyer or Bartolo Colon we are talking about.

fwiw, I bellieve Santana probably should be in but Roy Halladay and MM have better career values because although they didn't peak as high they were better for longer.

A guy isn't providing value when he isn't playing and his career is over at age 31. But like i said he's one of those guys who's peaks should overcome that and get in.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Bonds
Clemens
Rivera
Edgar Martinez
Mussina
Schilling
Rolen
Walker
McGriff
Manny

Since they put Hoffman in last year Billy Wagner should probably be in too, since he was better, if we're setting that standard.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
for anyone questioning why mussina should be a HOF'er

- 82.7 WAR (19th all time since 1901 and 9th all time since 1969.) Only one of 13 pitchers to collect at least 10 seasons of 5.0+ WAR
- 48.6 WAA (13th all time)
- 19th all time in K's
- 3.58 k-bb ratio. only schilling tops that among pitchers with over 3,000 innings since 1900
- 7 GG

and i agree that if the hall insists in putting closers aside from rivera in the HOF, then wagner should absolutely be a HOF'er. so should k-rod. see how dumb that sounds?

Reactions: Wrigley and Voight

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

- 82.7 WAR (19th all time since 1901 and 9th all time since 1969.) Only one of 13 pitchers to collect at least 10 seasons of 5.0+ WAR
- 19th all time in K's
- 3.58 k-bb ratio. only schilling tops that among pitchers with over 3,000 innings since 1900
- 7 GG

and i agree that if the hall insists in putting closers aside from rivera in the HOF, then wagner should absolutely be a HOF'er. so should k-rod. see how dumb that sounds?

Moose is an absolute HOFer He was consistently great for a long long time. It's a shame he never won a CY or a WS. His last year in Baltimore before going to NYY, the Yankees won the WS and then they won it in 2009 the year after he retired. Obviously I am not sad at all the Yankees didn't win any other championships but Mussina had an excellent career regardless.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Follow this spreadsheet for the latest Hall of Fame developments:

2019 BBHOF Tracker.xlsm - Microsoft Excel Online

Put off by Ryan Thibodeaux on Twitter

My 10-name ballot would be: Bonds, Clemens, Halladay, Martinez, Mcgriff, Mussina, Pettite, Ramirez, Rivera, Walker

I think Rivera and Martinez get in.

From where I'm sitting, there's zero justification for Edgar's induction, but not Walker's

Offensively they're very similar, but Walker was providing Gold Glove caliber defense and was a threat on the bases as well (230 SB)

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Can't wait to see Murray Chass' ballot.

Will then listen to him and Casey Stern fight on MLB Network Radio.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'd like to see Walker get in as well, if I had a ballot he'd be on it. Martinez, though, I think should get in next yr.

What's everyone's thoughts on Halladay? He'd be on my ballot and is one of the best Blue Jays ever but I don't see him making the Hall of Fame right away.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Rivera
Halladay
Walker
Manny
Wagner (I mean Hoffman got in, so may as well)
Edgar

Mussina is a hall of famer, but he will have to wait yet another year since there's a better pitcher in front of him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd like to see Walker get in as well, if I had a ballot he'd be on it. Martinez, though, I think should get in next yr.

What's everyone's thoughts on Halladay? He'd be on my ballot and is one of the best Blue Jays ever but I don't see him making the Hall of Fame right away.

I always thought he was a first ballot guy but his untimely and unfortunate death expedited the process. But they could also Pat Burns him and wait 4 years.

Its funny how if Mussina had won even a single Cy and the WS in 2009 he'd already be in the hall.

Reactions: tony d

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

- 19th all time in K's
- 7 GG

Moose is an absolute HOFer He was consistently great for a long long time. It's a shame he never won a CY or a WS. His last year in Baltimore before going to NYY, the Yankees won the WS and then they won it in 2009 the year after he retired. Obviously I am not sad at all the Yankees didn't win any other championships but Mussina had an excellent career regardless.

Agreed 100% with both. Moose was also a great 7 time Gold Glove fielder who earned more WAR in 18 seasons than Nolan Ryan did in 27! Ignoring eligibility these are my top 6:

1. Bonds
2. Clemens
3. A-Rod
4. Pujols
5. Beltre
6. Mussina

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Agreed 100% with both. Moose was also a great 7 time Gold Glove fielder who earned more WAR in 18 seasons than Nolan Ryan did in 27! Ignoring eligibility these are my top 6:

1. Bonds
2. Clemens
3. A-Rod
4. Pujols
5. Beltre
6. Mussina

Interesting that you list Pujols, but not Cabrera

I'd also think Ichiro should be ranked above Beltre and Mussina. Trout and Kershaw, too, if we're completely ignoring eligibility

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad