That Goalie Dressed for Them? (Goalies who ONLY backed up for a team)

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
From greatesthockeylegends.com (Lyle Carter bio)

He did get a chance to dress as a back up in a game for the Minnesota North Stars in 1973, backing up Gump Worsley. Otherwise he bounced around the minor leagues until retiring in 1975.

...I actually remembered that Carter would have played for North Stars and Canadiens, but apparently only to Seals.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
From greatesthockeylegends.com (Lyle Carter bio)

...I actually remembered that Carter would have played for North Stars and Canadiens, but apparently only to Seals.

Nice find!

And from a Hockey News article

Carter would come close in 1973 with the Minnesota North Stars. He dressed once as a backup for Hall of Famer Gump Worsley, but did not play. Regardless, Carter considers it a career highlight. “Gump Worsley was someone I idolized as a kid growing up and to be on the same team as him was a thrill,†says Carter, whose post-hockey careers included running a popular sporting goods store and a radiator and automotive repair business. “I’ll never forget, Gump and I went out for a cup of coffee before the game, which Gump was scheduled to start. But he asked me, ‘Do you want to play tonight? I’m finishing my career. This game would mean more to you than me.’ I couldn’t believe it. Of course I said yes.

“But later at the rink, outside the dressing room, Gump told (coach) Parker MacDonald about his offer. I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but I saw Parker waving his arms in the air. I never played that night. We tied the New York Islanders 1-1 and I remember Gump got beat on the glove side. I often think I might have made that save and we would have on.â€

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Would be October 25, 1973, presuming that Carter has the rest of the details correct.

I don't know of an injury to Maniago (who played well the prior game):
http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/MIN1973.html

But I suppose it's possible. I'm 25% skeptical over this.

Of course, it's also possible that Carter is conflating multiple games - Worsley also played (poorly) against the Islanders on January 12, when Fern Rivard was probably (but maybe not) the backup.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Would be October 25, 1973, presuming that Carter has the rest of the details correct.

I don't know of an injury to Maniago (who played well the prior game):
http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/MIN1973.html

But I suppose it's possible. I'm 25% skeptical over this.

Of course, it's also possible that Carter is conflating multiple games - Worsley also played (poorly) against the Islanders on January 12, when Fern Rivard was probably (but maybe not) the backup.

Good stuff, maybe I'll take Carter's name off the list until its confirmed. He's an active writer in Truro so maybe I'll try and get in touch with the man himself to see if he can remember the circumstances. I also couldn't find any articles from the time hinting at a Carter recall to Minnesota.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I've been looking some more at this - my guess is that Maniago had something minor happen and Carter took the net (which would also confirm Worsley saying that it would "mean more" to Carter to play).

I bet there's something to be found in the transactions or in the Minneapolis papers (which I don't have access to, unfortunately).

Would be weird for Carter to spontaneously generate "I backed up for Worsley" out of whole cloth, which is why I think it happened (even if not that particular game).

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Edited the thread title to alleviate any confusion.

In the meantime, do any old-timers remember (and can link to) the thread which had the "I didn't remember so-and-so played for X" pictures? (So not this thread but a broader one)

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
I've been looking some more at this - my guess is that Maniago had something minor happen and Carter took the net (which would also confirm Worsley saying that it would "mean more" to Carter to play).

I bet there's something to be found in the transactions or in the Minneapolis papers (which I don't have access to, unfortunately).

Would be weird for Carter to spontaneously generate "I backed up for Worsley" out of whole cloth, which is why I think it happened (even if not that particular game).

I'm thinking it was something minor that happened to Maniago like getting a flu or having a personal issue (death in family or newborn) and as such might not have been reported.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I bet you're right - hopefully there's something there, but as with most stuff in this era, this may be a case where we can't move the probability from 98% to 100%.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
3. Did Jani Hurme dress for Atlanta Thrashers?

He was acquired just before the season from Panthers (via Hurricanes). I don´t remember at which point the illnes sidelined him.

ProSportsTransactions is showing him being listed on the IR with back issues first, then later with knee problems. 2005-06 he couldn't pass a physical due to two bad knees.

Can anybody find anything with Rob Tallas with the Penguins? I want to say that he was recalled late in the 2002-03 season but can't find anything to back this up.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Can anybody find anything with Rob Tallas with the Penguins? I want to say that he was recalled late in the 2002-03 season but can't find anything to back this up.

I'm fairly certain Tallas never dressed as a backup for Pittsburgh.

Thanks to Perttu from Finland for giving the information to add two more goalies:

Martin Brochu - Montreal Canadiens (1993/94)
In the 1994 playoffs he was recalled to dress as backup to Ron Tugnutt when Patrick Roy had appendicitis.

EDIT - new information changes this one to a 'maybe' as it appears Hebert dressed instead of Ram.
Jamie Ram - Anaheim Mighty Ducks (1998/99)
Guy Hebert was recovering from a shoulder injury to start the season so Ram dressed as backup to Dominic Roussel in the season opener.

This one I'm about 90% sure but could use a little more confirmation.
Troy Gamble - Dallas Stars (1993/94)
December 4 he was recalled to the team and was sent back on Dec. 15. Darcy Wakaluk played a series of games when Andy Moog was injured Gamble likely served as Wakaluk's backup at some point, likely early December. Thanks to the handy-dandy Penguins score sheets it looks like Moog dressed as a backup on Dec. 8 so its possible that Gamble was hanging around as a third goalie.

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Coleman didn't dress for the Ducks in the 2007 playoffs (unless there was an error with the league's scoresheets published on the Internet).

This looks to be more of a (common) case where clubs recall their top minor league goaltenders at the conclusion of their playoffs (or in Coleman/Portland's case, at the conclusion of the regular season) to have on hand in an emergency, to give them some practice time in the playoffs, and/or as a reward.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Thanks again to Perttu for the information to add a new goalie.

Sean Gauthier - Winnipeg Jets (1992/93)

Confirmed by Penguins game sheets and newspapers article.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
Tripp Tracy for Carolina...1/3/98

Article

Steve Michalek this past season for Minnesota

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I'm thinking it was something minor that happened to Maniago like getting a flu or having a personal issue (death in family or newborn) and as such might not have been reported.

The Winona Daily News
October 26, 1973
Gordon said he gave regular goalie Cesar Maniago a rest because he had 40 shots taken at him in a tie with Toronto and 40 more in another draw with St. Louis. Worsley, who decided to play without his mask, was in fine form. "I didn't play with the mask because it was too damn warm," declared the Gumper. "I had a tough time breathing with it on. I guess I'll have to put some more holes in it."

On other paper it was said that goal was scored over Worsleys shoulder.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
This one I'm about 90% sure but could use a little more confirmation.
Troy Gamble - Dallas Stars (1993/94)
December 4 he was recalled to the team and was sent back on Dec. 15. Darcy Wakaluk played a series of games when Andy Moog was injured Gamble likely served as Wakaluk's backup at some point, likely early December. Thanks to the handy-dandy Penguins score sheets it looks like Moog dressed as a backup on Dec. 8 so its possible that Gamble was hanging around as a third goalie.

He went back and forth between Kalamazoo and Dallas.
News from 4. of Dec says he was recalled to Dallas.
In 7. he was assigned to Kalamazoo.
On 10. he was recalled to Dallas.

From St. Louis Dispatch-Post 5. Dec
With No. 1 netminder Andy Moog out because of a slight groin pull, Stars general manager and coach Bob Gainey gave Darcy Wakalukk the start.

From injury report of Palm Beach Post from 12. Dec
Stars G Andy Moog (back) is out

Last edited:

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
He went back and forth between Kalamazoo and Dallas.
News from 4. of Dec says he was recalled to Dallas.
In 7. he was assigned to Kalamazoo.
On 10. he was recalled to Dallas.

From St. Louis Dispatch-Post 5. Dec

From injury report of Palm Beach Post from 12. Dec

Thanks for the addition research Sanf. It looks like, for the time being, Gamble will be one of those 95% sure but can't confirm goalies. Its seems VERY likely that he dressed in at least one of those games.

Edit- also great hit on the Maniago article! That seems to complete the puzzle.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
If I can depart from the subject slightly, what happened back in the old days if there was only one goalie on the roster and he got injured during a game? :shakehead

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If I can depart from the subject slightly, what happened back in the old days if there was only one goalie on the roster and he got injured during a game? :shakehead

There was almost always a Junior, Senior or Minor Pro Goalie sitting in the stands who could be called upon regardless of whether it was the Home/Away Goalie who got injured. Barring that, a couple of Trainer's were also "practice goalies" so they were available in a crunch... sometimes in desperate straights a skater would fill-in. Lots of amusing stories & 1 Game (or a period or two) Wonders who found themselves called into duty. Even when after the rules mandated 2 Goalies be dressed, there were times when last minute emergency call-ups were required, CIAU University players etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad