That Goalie Dressed for Them? (Goalies who ONLY backed up for a team)

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
New Finds:

Martin Brochu - Calgary Flames (2000/01)
Chris Mason - Florida Panthers (2002/03)

Jason Bacashihua - Dallas Stars (2002/03 + 2003/04) I can't believe I forgot this one considering Bacashihua's rookies have him with the Stars. It also makes Bacashihua the only goalie to dress but not play for 3 NHL teams. (!)

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Rich Shulmistra Colorado Avalance 1995-1996

The Cincinnati Enquirer January 10, 1996
Since Colorado plays again tonight, Patrick Roy was sent home to get ready. Former Miami Redskin Rich Shulmistra was recalled from AHL affiliate Cornwall to serve as Fiset's backup

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Rich Shulmistra Colorado Avalance 1995-1996

The Cincinnati Enquirer January 10, 1996

Good find with Shulmistra.

Another:

Ryan Bach - Detroit Red Wings (1997/98)

From Ottawa Citizen March 19, 1998.
Minor injuries to goalies [Chris Osgood] (strained groin) and Hodson (hip flexor) also forced the Red Wings to recall Ryan Bach from Adirondack of the AHL. Bach dressed as the backup to Maracle, who was recalled from Adirondack on March 11.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sanf, good catch on the Joey MacDonald! I also dug a little deeper into Pat Jablonski and after much searching was able to find he did dress in at least one NHL game with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Feb 10, 1995. Written by Bob Duff for The Windsor Star.

Article about a game preview of Leafs vs Red Wings

In goal

Not Felix Potvin. Damian Rhodes gets the nod for Toronto, with ex-Windsor Spitfire Pat Jablonski backing him up. Potvin, who has played all 11 Leaf games, stays in Toronto to rest up for Saturday's game with Los Angeles.

Rhodes played the game against Detroit and I found a photo of Jablonski dressed as the backup so its 100% certain he was backup in this game.

Pat Jablonski spent a lot of time with the Maple Leafs in the shortened season but his role was reduced to third goalie behind Rhodes and Potvin. Its possible Jablonski dressed in a couple more games because another article from that season quotes Pat Burns as saying he planned to rotate backups Rhodes and Jablonski.

Thanks for brining up Garrett. I've read about this story before but Garrett doesn't make my cut because, as the article mentions, he doesn't suit up. I have to draw the line somewhere and my criteria is that the goalies have to be signed, dressed and on the bench ready to step into action. I am, however, putting together a small list of goalies who have made it this far. There are a few, like Ray Whitney's dad, who fall into this category of "third string backup" who were there but not technically part of the team.

garrett was signed to a 1 day contract

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
I se to recall the canucks signing Bill Ranford as a 1 day backup in the 2000's

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013

Good lead but unfortunately I can't find anything else to confirm he would have dressed. It does, however, seem highly likely Belhumeur dressed for the Flames. I'll add him to the maybe list.

I se to recall the canucks signing Bill Ranford as a 1 day backup in the 2000's

Anyone else remember this or have anything to collaborate? I can't find anything to support this and I'd have to think that with Ranford being so well known, it would have been reported. That being said, Ranford seems to have retired to the area so he would have been around.

and on the bench---they were trying to find gear because fuhr gear did not fit him

I'm adding a page to nhlbackups.com that will be titled "honourable mentions" for goalies who found themselves in situations like this. They deserve to be noted but I'm not making them official NHL backups. Not to be picky, but I came up with the criteria for a reason. In this case, since he couldn't find gear that fit, how would he have played? He was close, but not close enough I think.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Good lead but unfortunately I can't find anything else to confirm he would have dressed. It does, however, seem highly likely Belhumeur dressed for the Flames. I'll add him to the maybe list.

Found slightly better article.

The Palm Beach Post
January 12, 1978
Atlanta Flames' goalie Daniel Bouchard hospitalized with the flu and missed last night's game with the Colorado Rockies. Yves Belanger, who has been a winner in all three games he's started since being obtained in a trade with St. Louis, is filling in for Bouchard. The Flames also called up Michel Belhumeur from Tulsa of the Central League to back up Belanger

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Stephane Beauregard might have been Capitals backup in 1997-1998

From site called LCS hockey
Bill Ranford, g, placed on injured reserve. Received Stephane Beauregard, g, on loan from the Chicago Wolves (IHL).

From Nov 19. 1997 there is transaction news that he was loaned to Wolves from Capitals.

Also slight offtopic here, but Yves Belanger might have been Cleveland Crusaders backup in 1974 (february). They sent Bob Whidden to get playing time to minors and recalled Belanger to be Cheevers backup.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Stephane Beauregard might have been Capitals backup in 1997-1998

From site called LCS hockey

From Nov 19. 1997 there is transaction news that he was loaned to Wolves from Capitals.

Also slight offtopic here, but Yves Belanger might have been Cleveland Crusaders backup in 1974 (february). They sent Bob Whidden to get playing time to minors and recalled Belanger to be Cheevers backup.

Looks like Beauregard did dress for Washington. Found a little more:

Jan. 15, 1998 Ottawa Citizen.
Bill Ranford continues to struggle in Washington, where he is a disappointing 2-7-2 with a 3.16 goals-against mark. Now he's down with a pulled hamstring, replaced on the roster by the well- traveled Stephane Beauregard.

According to the New York Times he was recalled on Jan. 1 so he likely backed up the Capitals for a few games.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Hmm..as a goalie collector I've been tracking goalies closely since the 05-06 lockout when I got back into it.

Some of the goalies on your list are ones I suspect only played or appeared for the listed teams in pre-season games. For instance I'm almost 100% sure Toivonen only saw pre-season action with the Blackhawks.

I'm wondering if the following are confirmed or if they might also be pre-season only goalies?:

Dany Sabourin (2009/10) BOS
John Grahame (2010/2011) COL
Johan Holmqvist (2003/04) MIN
Nolan Schaefer (2007/08) MIN
Michael Wall (2007/08) COL
Mike Morrison (2007/08) NYI

Just a thought but maybe it would be opening up a whole new can of worms to start listing NHL-goalies who only appeared in pre-season games for some teams (For example Leighton with the Ducks, Zatkoff with the Kings, Whitmore with the Rangers, Emery with the Lightning, Aebischer with the Jets to name a few)? I've been listing some of these cases as well whenever I've stumbled upon them.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Hmm..as a goalie collector I've been tracking goalies closely since the 05-06 lockout when I got back into it.

Some of the goalies on your list are ones I suspect only played or appeared for the listed teams in pre-season games. For instance I'm almost 100% sure Toivonen only saw pre-season action with the Blackhawks.

Just a thought but maybe it would be opening up a whole new can of worms to start listing NHL-goalies who only appeared in pre-season games for some teams (For example Leighton with the Ducks, Zatkoff with the Kings, Whitmore with the Rangers, Emery with the Lightning, Aebischer with the Jets to name a few)? I've been listing some of these cases as well whenever I've stumbled upon them.

Thanks for the comment. I can assure you 100% that all of the goalies listed on the OP appeared in the regular season. For example, Toivonen dressed as a Blackhawks backup goalie during the regular season late December, 2010.

In terms of statistics, the pre-season is something I really don't want to be involved with.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Ok, good to know, I must have completely missed Toivonen even though I track Finnish players in general more closely than others.

As pertains to this thread I might have an addition, namely Kevin Poulin for the Lightning this very season. I believe he was picked up on waivers and served as a backup briefly to start the season (regular backup Vasilevskiy was out with blood clots iirc) before being traded to the Flames.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Ok, good to know, I must have completely missed Toivonen even though I track Finnish players in general more closely than others.

As pertains to this thread I might have an addition, namely Kevin Poulin for the Lightning this very season. I believe he was picked up on waivers and served as a backup briefly to start the season (regular backup Vasilevskiy was out with blood clots iirc) before being traded to the Flames.

Good catch on Poulin! He did indeed dress for the Lightning late October, 2015. Added to the list :)

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Ok, I just went over my list again and I have a few more additions and a couple that need further confirmation. They are based on the fact that I have cards of these guys playing for the teams in question.

The first five I'm almost certain of:

Michael Leighton, Blue Jackets 12-13
Jean-Francois Berube, Kings 14-15
Drew MacIntyre, Predators 08-09
Carter Hutton, Sharks 10-11
Pheonix Copley, Capitals 14-15

The next five I'm not so sure about (could be only preseason action), Tom Askey perhaps the strongest suspect amongst the bunch:

Tom Askey Sabres 02-03?
Adam Berkhoel Sabres 06-07?
Mark Dekanich Blue Jackets 11-12?
Jean-Francois Damphousse Canadiens 02-03?
Eric Fichaud Maple Leafs 93-94, 94-95?

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Ok, I just went over my list again and I have a few more additions and a couple that need further confirmation. They are based on the fact that I have cards of these guys playing for the teams in question.

The first five I'm almost certain of:

Michael Leighton, Blue Jackets 12-13
Jean-Francois Berube, Kings 14-15
Drew MacIntyre, Predators 08-09
Carter Hutton, Sharks 10-11
Pheonix Copley, Capitals 14-15

The next five I'm not so sure about (could be only preseason action), Tom Askey perhaps the strongest suspect amongst the bunch:

Tom Askey Sabres 02-03?
Adam Berkhoel Sabres 06-07?
Mark Dekanich Blue Jackets 11-12?
Jean-Francois Damphousse Canadiens 02-03?

Thanks for this post! The first five are all guys I missed. Copley, Berube and Hutton are all guys I had researched when I did the "backups only" so I should have gotten them.

The last 5 guys I'm 99% sure none dressed as a backup for those teams. Did some additional research and wasn't able to confirm anything.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

I once tried to check Fichaud and Maple Leafs, but couldn´t find anything.

Preseason and training camp rosters are interesting, but I haven´t track them systematically. That would be insane work. I have notepad of some interesting names, but thats it. There are many goalie that I haven´t been able to find any kind of background information.

Don´t want to go off topic, but as fellow Finn you may be interested (you may already know these) that Jorma Valtonen played preseason game with Penguins against Islanders (4-2 win) in 1974 and Timo Lehkonen played with Blachawks against Blues in 1986 (replaced Bob Sauve 5:49 left in second period result then 3-0 for CHI. Game ended 6-5 for CHI)

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Thanks to a hockey fan from Finland who sent me a brilliant little message I was able to add 5 new names to the list.

Craig Anderson - St. Louis Blues (2005/06) He was only a member of the Blues organization for less than a week.
Mike Brodeur - Chicago Blackhawks (2007/08) Was only recalled to the Hawks for one day
Michael Leighton - Montreal Canadiens (2006/07) Claimed off waivers by the Habs late into the season
David LeNeveu - Anaheim Ducks (2008/09)
Jamie Storr - Philadelphia Flyers (2005/06)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I had these five - I should pull my list at some point and just line it up with yours.

Regarding Leighton, he has known instances of dressing but not playing with three franchises - Buffalo, Montreal, and Columbus - which is interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad