That Goalie Dressed for Them? (Goalies who ONLY backed up for a team)

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Interesting finds!

Regarding Pettie, I agree that the sentence does imply that Pettie didn't skate with the Rangers, although without knowing the source of the "goof", it's hard to know how much I trust that information (it could be that the person Googled hockeydb.com and found that Pettie didn't actually play in a game, and came to their own conclusion).

Good point. I wish I could find some supporting documents that he was recalled to the Rangers during the regular season. Pettie wrote me back a wonderful letter when I wrote to him for his signature so If I have an extra stamp someday it might be worthwhile to send him a letter and ask the guy himself.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Martin Houle only played, like, two minutes for the Flyers in 2007. They've had a hard time with goalies since Hextall. :laugh:

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Doug Dadswell sat on the bench with the Devils for a couple of games in 1991-92

Thanks for the tip. I found some additional info that appears to support your post.

From an online article:

Now, 650 more wins later, Brodeur, 39, still recalls the day fondly. He had been a “double-emergency recall†a few days earlier from his junior team St. Hyacinthe in the QMJHL because Chris Terreri and Craig Billington were injured. He was with the team, but did not dress for a March 24 game against San Jose (Chad Erickson played) and then practice the next day, but did not know until after the morning skate that he would be making his NHL debut that night.

“At this time of the day, I probably didn’t know I was playing that game,†Brodeur said this morning. “I got it only the morning of. So, 20 years ago, I didn’t expect I was going to play a game.â€

That did help prevent the then 19-year-old Brodeur from getting too nervous.

“They let me know after the morning skate,†he said. “It was fun. Like any kid, I think it’s your dream to be part of an NHL hockey team and you get called up kind of out of the blue a little bit because I was playing junior. For me and my family, it was a great day to be able to play in the best league there is in the world and winning on top of it was great.â€

Brodeur remembered watching the Devils’ March 24 against San Jose (a 4-3 win) in which Erickson played and Doug Dadswell backed up.

“That’s the depth chart we had,†he said. “Chris and Biller were hurt and so Chad was playing. I don’t what know what kind of game he played against San Jose. I practiced in the morning on a Friday and then in the morning (on a Saturday) they told me I was playing. So, I was fifth on the depth chart.

Additionally I found a newspaper article that notes Dadswell was returned to the AHL's Utica Devils on March 27 by New Jersey, evidence that he was up at this time.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
More recent example is Vesa Toskala:

96576912-vesa-toskala-of-the-anaheim-ducks-blocks-gettyimages.jpg

The picture is from a warm-up as he never played during the game for Ducks.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Jiri Crha

Did dress with the Minnesota North Stars

From April 4, 1984 Globe and Mail

"Some clubs had to make last-minute additions because of injuries. Minnesota North Stars hired former Toronto Maple Leaf goalie Jiri Crha, who has been playing in West Germany, to serve as backup for the first two games of their series with the Hawks while regular Don Beaupre recovers from strained knee ligaments."

Interesting! I was skeptical about that.

I was doing some Sharks goalie research some time ago and I remember seeing some lead that Darrin Madeley would have dressed for the team. Didn´t remember to post it here then.

I don´t have any kind of lead to this one. Did Kay Whitmore dress to other teams than he played? He was affiliated with several team Rangers, Sharks, Oilers, Sabres?...

Edit. Noticed that you have Vincent Riendeau listed in Blues in the OP. Mixed to someone else?

Last edited:

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Interesting! I was skeptical about that.

I was doing some Sharks goalie research some time ago and I remember seeing some lead that Darrin Madeley would have dressed for the team. Didn´t remember to post it here then.

I don´t have any kind of lead to this one. Did Kay Whitmore dress to other teams than he played? He was affiliated with several team Rangers, Sharks, Oilers, Sabres?...

Edit. Noticed that you have Vincent Riendeau listed in Blues in the OP. Mixed to someone else?

Tried to find some additional info on Madeley and Whitmore but can't uncover anything to suggest either appeared for another team only as backup.

Thanks for pointing out the Riendeau, error on my part. Meant to be Tom Draper and now corrected.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Manny Legace was a backup for the Canucks in October, 1999.

From an October 6, 1999 article in The Province:
For the Canucks -- With the 'Hawks' penchant for punch-ups, expect Brad May to add needed muscle by possibly replacing ailing Dave Scatchard (leg bruise) as the RW on the third line. Coach Marc Crawford called any alarm over teams purposely playing tough as "far overrated." . . . Kevin Weekes, coming off a 32-save performance in Saturday's 2-1 win over the New York Rangers, will start again tonight with Manny Legace as his backup. "I don't think Snow is ready," said Crawford. "I'd like to give him three or four days to prepare for a start."

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Manny Legace was a backup for the Canucks in October, 1999.

From an October 6, 1999 article in The Province:

Thanks for this!, Legace added to the list.

I also found another,

Patrick Lalime - 1998/99 Anaheim Mighty Ducks.
Appeared as a backup for Guy Hebert in April 1999.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Stumbled upon one more tonight.

Dwayne Roloson - St. Louis Blues (2000/01)

From Sudbury Star Feb 6, 2001.

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- St. Louis Blues goaltender Roman Turek will be sidelined indefinitely with tendinitis in his left elbow.

The Blues recalled goaltender Dwayne Roloson on an emergency basis from Worcester of the AHL to replace Turek, who reported soreness after his last start Feb. 1. Turek is 18-9-5 with a 2.22 goals-against average.

Roloson, 31, leads the AHL in wins (19), goals-against average (2.13) and save percentage (.933) and is 19-7-2 with two shutouts for Worcester. He was with the team for two games recently when rookie Brent Johnson was sidelined with a knee injury, but did not play and was reassigned to Worcester on Jan. 30.

Johnson, who is 16-4 with a 1.84 goals-against average, will be the starter when the Blues resume play after the all-star break at Columbus Tuesday night.

I checked the score sheets and Roloson did indeed dress for the Blues on April 6, 2001.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I checked the score sheets and Roloson did indeed dress for the Blues on April 6, 2001.

February 6, as implied by the rest of your post, and confirmed here:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20002001/ES020798.HTM

What I find peculiar is that I have Roloson listed with the Blues that year:
http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/roloson.html

Although I know that I haven't combed through the game sheets yet (I'm back through 2003-04, unless my notes are flawed). Maybe I stumbled upon it once upon a time.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
NOTES: The Sharks have signed free-agent goalie Darrin Madeley, and he was dressed last night as Hrudey's backup. Chris Terreri, the Sharks' other goaltender, suffered a bruised left hand Sunday night against St. Louis and sat out last night. Terreri is day-to-day and should return shortly. Madeley had been playing with Detroit of the IHL.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Maple-Leafs-Pass-Misery-to-Sharks-2961829.php

Kay Whitmore was pure guess. He seems like perfect candidate on this.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Jason Bacashihua - Colorado Avalanche (2010/11)
Corey Hirsch - Nashville Predators (1999/00)
Arturs Irbe - Buffalo Sabres (2014/15)
Manny Legace - Vancouver Canucks (1999/00)
Vesa Toskala - Anaheim Ducks (2009/10)
:amazed: I didn't know this. Thanks for that.

Al Montoya - New York Rangers (2005/06)
:facepalm: I know, I know. I remember screamin' "Play Montoya!" I thought him a star in the making. I still think him capable of being an NHL starter based on what I've seen. But he's pushing 32 and needs to have a Tim Thomas type late career postseason extravaganza to do so!

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Patrick Lalime - 1998/99 Anaheim Mighty Ducks.
Appeared as a backup for Guy Hebert in April 1999.

Lalime had nice "comeback". This pretty much underlines how he was on his way to become "curiosity" in NHL history. At the end 444 games in NHL.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
John Garrett Edmonton oilers

I was watching the game and Garrett look scared ****less behind the oilers bench

- Dust him off: From Grant Fuhr to John Garrett. The Edmonton Oilers have had quite a year. With Fuhr close to coming back from an appendectomy, but not quite ready, the Oilers were caught short when goalies Pokey Reddick and Bill Ranford were both hurt in Wednesday`s game against Washington. Reddick pulled himself together and finished out the game, a 4-3 Capitals` victory, but he had an unusual backup waiting in the wings.

Garrett came out of the ``Hockey Night in Canada`` broadcast booth to fill the role as the Oilers` backup. The former goalie for three NHL teams hadn`t played since 1984-85. He sat on Edmonton`s bench in a warmup suit, but was ready to dress in full gear and play in an emergency.

``They say you`re only as good as your last game,`` Garrett said, ``but I can`t remember mine.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0041_1_ken-linseman-paul-holmgren-brian-propp

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Sanf, good catch on the Joey MacDonald! I also dug a little deeper into Pat Jablonski and after much searching was able to find he did dress in at least one NHL game with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Feb 10, 1995. Written by Bob Duff for The Windsor Star.

Article about a game preview of Leafs vs Red Wings

In goal

Not Felix Potvin. Damian Rhodes gets the nod for Toronto, with ex-Windsor Spitfire Pat Jablonski backing him up. Potvin, who has played all 11 Leaf games, stays in Toronto to rest up for Saturday's game with Los Angeles.

Rhodes played the game against Detroit and I found a photo of Jablonski dressed as the backup so its 100% certain he was backup in this game.

Pat Jablonski spent a lot of time with the Maple Leafs in the shortened season but his role was reduced to third goalie behind Rhodes and Potvin. Its possible Jablonski dressed in a couple more games because another article from that season quotes Pat Burns as saying he planned to rotate backups Rhodes and Jablonski.

John Garrett Edmonton oilers

I was watching the game and Garrett look scared ****less behind the oilers bench

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0041_1_ken-linseman-paul-holmgren-brian-propp

Thanks for brining up Garrett. I've read about this story before but Garrett doesn't make my cut because, as the article mentions, he doesn't suit up. I have to draw the line somewhere and my criteria is that the goalies have to be signed, dressed and on the bench ready to step into action. I am, however, putting together a small list of goalies who have made it this far. There are a few, like Ray Whitney's dad, who fall into this category of "third string backup" who were there but not technically part of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad