That Goalie Dressed for Them? (Goalies who ONLY backed up for a team)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Here's one that I don't see on the site list - Greg Millen backed up John Vanbiesbrouck on October 3 and October 5, 1991, while Mike Richter held out for the Rangers' first two games before signing on October 6.

Anyhow, Twitter user @FirstDuePhotog brought this to my attention tonight:

From NHL Road To Victory, which shows highlights of Mark Messier's first game with the Rangers (October 5). He's clearly shooting on a right-catch goaltender wearing #29, so I did some digging and found this.

Anyhow, the last paragraph from the Courier News, October 7, details Millen's efforts:

So Millen backed up Vanbiesbrouck on October 3 and 5, wearing #29 on the 5th (and probably the 3rd).

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Millen was acquired from the Blackhawks on September 24th, and it precipitated rumors that Vanbiesbrouck would be headed to Edmonton as a part of a trade for Mark Messier.

In the short term, it was definitely Mike Richter insurance, but then Richter signed and Millen was superfluous.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Stumbled across Glen Seperich. Haven't seen him being mentioned.

“Glen Seperich is in Detroit for the weekend as the Red Wings backup netminder. Regular Detroit goaltender Dennis DeJordy has a pulled leg muscle.”
- October 14, 1972 - The Times Herald, Port Huron, Michigan, p.7

“Glen Seperich has returned to Port Huron from Detroit where he served as the backup goaltender for the Red Wings last weekend.”
- October 20, 1972 - The Times Herald, Port Huron, Michigan, p.11

Reactions: Sanf and Doctor No

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Millen was acquired from the Blackhawks on September 24th, and it precipitated rumors that Vanbiesbrouck would be headed to Edmonton as a part of a trade for Mark Messier.

In the short term, it was definitely Mike Richter insurance, but then Richter signed and Millen was superfluous.

Another nice one. It´s going to be a good year :).

I thought I had pretty good map on Rangers goalies on organization at the time, but had no idea Millen was briefly with Rangers.

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Sneddon for Chicago is on the master list although I don't see the exact evidence in this thread or on Benchwarmers' blog.

I was trying to figure out this game where the Habs lost to Chicago, 5-0, and Worsley and Hodge apparently rotated, and saw that Sneddon was listed as the backup to DeJordy. February 8, 1967.

The_Gazette_Thu__Feb_9__1967_ (1).jpg

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Looks like John Henderson (of Bruins fame) backed up for the Vancouver Canucks in 1972-73, and potentially in 1974-75 as well. Details here:

Really niice one. :) Kind of feel bad for Dan Brady. I did some research about him some years ago. Fairly high opinions about him at those times. Some thought he could be selected in 74 expansion. Never even got a call up (as far as I know).

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Looks like Keith Kinkaid has a chance to join the list.

Has dressed as the back up for 3 of the 12 games he's been on the Blue Jackets roster, but hasn't played yet.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Harri Säteri has also second team to list here from this season. Backup in one Red Wings game. I have a gut feeling that Säteri is going to leave NA after this season. He had decent stint with Panthers, but he is sort of borderline level backup goalie for NHL level.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Really niice one. :) Kind of feel bad for Dan Brady. I did some research about him some years ago. Fairly high opinions about him at those times. Some thought he could be selected in 74 expansion. Never even got a call up (as far as I know).

I always thought Brady should have gotten a look, especially with two leagues rapidly expanding.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I recall that Roy Edwards was Glenn Hall's backup in the Chicago system in those years when Hall never missed a game. I remember him being mentioned as "standby" during some playoff games. I think that involved sitting in the press box in civilian garb, so maybe it doesn't count as being "dressed."

Found this one while going through my 1965-66 game logs project. Roy Edwards backed up for the Black Hawks at least on February 5, 1966:

Chicago_Tribune_Sat__Feb_5__1966_.jpg

The_Windsor_Star_Mon__Feb_7__1966_ (1).jpg

First image is from the Chicago Tribune, February 5, 1966.

Second image is from the Windsor Star, February 7, 1966.

Glenn Hall was given the week off (starting with the game of February 3), and DeJordy was the first one to back up Dave Dryden.

Reactions: Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Nice one!

I had in my notes that Roy Edwards was the "oldschool" standby goalie atleast in 1961 (I think our member DJ Man has even recollection of it), but never have seen him actually dressing as official backup. Edwards was in Black Hawks system quite a while. First mentioning in my notes is.

Calgary Daily Herald September 21, 1959
The biggest problem as it appears now is the goaltending situation. Roy Edwards is rated right behind Glenn Hall in the local derby and the guessing is he´ll be starting in Buffalo. Roy performed exceedingly well in the two exhibitions against Toronto Friday and Saturday...

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I say Keith Kinkaid for the Columbus Blue Jackets. He was traded at the deadline last season from the NJD to CBJ. Didn't see any action with Columbus.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Add Carl Wetzel to the Canadiens' storied history - he backed up Charlie Hodge in Manhattan on February 20, 1966, after Worsley was hospitalized with dizzy spells. From the Montreal Gazette the next day:

The_Gazette_Mon__Feb_21__1966_.jpg

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Found this one while going through my 1965-66 game logs project. Roy Edwards backed up for the Black Hawks at least on February 5, 1966:

View attachment 335767

View attachment 335769

First image is from the Chicago Tribune, February 5, 1966.

Second image is from the Windsor Star, February 7, 1966.

Glenn Hall was given the week off (starting with the game of February 3), and DeJordy was the first one to back up Dave Dryden.

The Yankees' firstbasemen who backed up Lou Gehrig would sympathize with Roy Edwards. Also, there was at least one NFL quarterback who earned a pension before he got to play because of a durable star.
Cliff Stoudt - Wikipedia

I note that the Leafs' goalies were "Sawchuk, Smith," which means that Johnny Bower had the night off. But was the other Al Smith or Gary Smith? That must be tricky for you to trace!

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
This was Gary, per the Rochester paper the next night. And it's definitely a PITA for the reason you describe.

Based on what I've researched at the moment, Al's first backup role was February 19 (backing up Gary), and then he replaced Gary each of the next two games. Gary got injured on February 23, and Al backed up for several weeks thereon.

Al was actually in juniors at the time, so was I believe an emergency call-up. Gary was a pro in Rochester.

Reactions: SealsFan

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Found one that's not on Benchwarmers' list - Allan Bester did back up for the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim during the 1993-94 season.

For the Ducks' road games on January 18 (Toronto) and January 19 (Detroit), 1994, Ron Tugnutt stayed home awaiting the birth of his son, Jake (future college goaltender). Jake wasn't born until January 25 (according to the wire report), by which time the Ducks were back in town and Ron carried a new "cellular phone" where he waited for the call to the hospital.

Pasadena_Star_News_Tue__Jan_25__1994_.jpg

I also think he backed up for the Ducks' second-to-last game of 1995 (and perhaps the last) after Hebert suffered a concussion; I see the wire reports that he was recalled, but can't find anything that retrospectively said "Bester dressed".

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Some of those Original 6 starting goalies played full 50 game seasons.Just imagine being #2 or#3 and never getting a sniff of the NHL .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad