Thank you Swedish Head Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Spotted you already burning up the sister thread with the video links

So I'm presuming that this means you personally stand behind each and every word no matter the message based on character, which is fine, just a little sad

Yeah, my two post (out of 206) really sent it burning.

Dont presume, please. That´s just a silly comment.

I just dont think it was such an outrage as you want it to be. Ronnberg didnt intend to disrespect you, but he was a bit naive. You guys then took it to another level. Almost like you´re just waiting for being "disrespected" to be able to fuel yourself with revenge.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is nuts. We've gone through this many times. It wasn't that he complimented other countries, it was the fact that he came out and was very smug about the win. He wasn't humble at all. He came out and said we've played better games before this one. He basically mocked Canada and the Canadian coach who was sitting right beside him. What do you not understand. It was tasteless. A coach should not do that. He could've used his words a lot better. It was tasteless and was filled with smugness. But anyway I don't understand why this thread is still going. Sweden isn't even going for gold. So what their coach said doesn't even matter anymore. Sweden got what they deserve IMO.

RAGINGxPONY

Mar 16, 2010
Canada
So, to be clear. Every time a coach gives a compliment to a team that isn't Canada, every Canadian will start acting like a baby?
That's funny because the Canadian coach didn't act like a baby, he handled it very well, and he is the one that is representing Canada, not people from some hockey board.

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
the Russian coach said he was not impressed with Canada after the American game.

are non North American coaches really that stupid.

this will be on the dressing room board.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
So, to be clear. Every time a coach gives a compliment to a team that isn't Canada, every Canadian will start acting like a baby?

We in your head? Yeah we in your head!

This game is half mental and we got that edge brotha!

Good luck tomorrow, bronze is a good colour for you.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As I wrote in another thread...

Rönnberg: “I think actually, we had tougher games against the Czechs and Russians,” Rönnberg said. “Those games were tougher for us to control. I think they play better offensively than Canada did tonight.”

I think maybe 1/10th of the posters in here actually knew what he said.

So he gave his honest opinion that the other games were tactically harder to play through and that he felt Sweden was actually in tactically good control in large parts of the game vs. Canada, which many Canadian fans agreed on. Which he thought Sweden lacked in the games vs the Czechs and Russians. In one frigging round robin game. Crap storm ensues. Canadian sensationalist media goes crazy, Canada not put on pedestal, despite having their own struggles in the actual game that was played. Canadian fans with fragile egos expected to hunt this quote for a week (probably infinitely) and sure, we can see that. This thread is a nice proof of that.

In what way has he disgraced the godly Canada? Did he say anything about the actual Canadian team? Did he say anything about their chances to win gold? Did anyone ask him about it?

Ronnberg smacks Team Canada (yeah right, thanks mr. sensationalist):
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/RONNBERG-SMACKS-TEAM-CANADA/6/32529

Amazing how you can form the base of an entire article based on one quote, isn't it? Nevermind what he actually meant, it's easier to form opinions of your own!:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorho...s-were-tougher-games-?urn=juniorhockey-302193

This is beyond ridiculous. It surely doesn't take much to get so many people with bruised egos going when it comes to hockey.

So what's the lesson here? For the love of God, don't be honest. Lie. And it doesn't matter if you're right, as long as you follow some effed up code of conduct that is far from anything that has to do with "sportmanship". It's the "wolf in sheep clothes" handbook. How to be an a-hole and get away with it.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Instead of worrying about Canada just as your coach and team seem to be, if I were you I would worry more about how your team is going to handle the U.S in the BRONZE medal game.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008

Rönnberg: “I think actually, we had tougher games against the Czechs and Russians,” Rönnberg said. “Those games were tougher for us to control. I think they play better offensively than Canada did tonight.”

So he gave his honest opinion that the other games were tactically harder to play through and that he felt Sweden was actually in tactically good control in large parts of the game vs. Canada, which many Canadian fans agreed on. Which he thought Sweden lacked in the games vs the Czechs and Russians. In one frigging round robin game. Crap storm ensues. Canadian sensationalist media goes crazy, Canada not put on pedestal, despite having their own struggles in the actual game that was played. Canadian fans with fragile egos expected to hunt this quote for a week (probably infinitely) and sure, we can see that. This thread is a nice proof of that.

In what way has he disgraced the godly Canada? Did he say anything about the actual Canadian team? Did he say anything about their chances to win gold? Did anyone ask him about it?

Amazing how you can form the base of an entire article based on one quote, isn't it? Nevermind what he actually meant, it's easier to form opinions of your own!:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorho...s-were-tougher-games-?urn=juniorhockey-302193

This is beyond ridiculous. It surely doesn't take much to get so many people with bruised egos going when it comes to hockey.

Like I said on page 2 of this thread, I don't find what he said offensive in any way. As a matter of fact, I'd bet any amount of money that Cameron was happy as can be when he heard those words come out of Ronnbergs mouth. Having said that, I do find what he said to be stupid. If Canada and Sweden had met up again in an elimination game, he would have provided some good bulletin board material. As a coach, he should know better. Read this blog posted today in the Buffalo News about Cameron and you'll see how he handles the media with a BIG game coming up versus how Ronnberg handled the media. Here is a couple of snippets from the blog:

Let's get it out here front and center: Especially since he changed goalies in midstream, I think Dave Cameron (left in red tie) has done a pretty good job navigating the minefield that is being the head coach in the pressure cooker of the Canadian national team. All that said, I'm pretty sick of dealing with Cameron and so are plenty of other reporters at the World Junior Championship.

Cameron, who coaches Mississauga in the Ontario Hockey League and has directed the AHL's Binghamton Senators, is condescending at times. He likes one-word answers at times. He's downright boring at times.

I couldn't resist. It was go time. So I shot back, "So you have no real thoughts? Your kids don't know what Canada-Russia is but you have no real thoughts of all the history that's involved?"

"Do I?" (emphasis on the "I")

"Yeah."

"No, not really. Not as it pertains to this game coming forward."

"In general, do you have any thoughts on it?"

"I think it’s going to be a heck of a hockey game. I mean, it’s two great hockey nations."

"No, I mean just on the history of the whole thing. You're the coach of the Canadian national team. You have no thought on the history of the rivalry?"

"Oh I do but I'm not going to share it now but I’m not going to share it now, because it’s nothing to do with my preparation for the game tomorrow. If you want to talk history after, come on over, I'll gladly discuss it and tell you what I think. But it has nothing to do with my team and getting ready. A lot of these guys, you can’t go back five, six years and mention hockey. They don’t know. So I'm not going to give them the history lesson now."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/world-juniors/2011/01/on-canadas-cameron.html

Last edited:

RAGINGxPONY

Mar 16, 2010
Canada
Very nice response, I can see that you put a lot of thought into it:)

Really? I heard he made some remarks and tried to hunt the Swedish coach down afterwards, wanting to "settle it".

And looking at how blown out of proportion this has become, thanks to TSN (?) and here on HF boards, I can only come to the conclusion that Canadians think that the entire world of hockey revolves around them, and that no one should ever be allowed to say that a team is better than their belowed Canada. If that happens, that person is tasteless, disrespectful and smug...:sarcasm:
Where's your evidence? Until I see some, the Canadian coach handled him self very well.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Where's your evidence? Until I see some, the Canadian coach handled him self very well.

Yeah, Canadians handle themselves great when the camera is around. That way there won't be any proof, only hear-say.

"I think if we look at the scoring chances it was tougher games against them," he said. "I think they played better offensively than Canada tonight. We know they have the better defence. They are not pleased with the game tonight I think, but I think those games were tougher for us controlling how they look on the ice.

"I think we did a good game tonight, we controlled the ice, we played good, with puck possession, we kept them on the outside, but hey, it's only one game."

This is so disrespectful... I can't believe he could say something like this:sarcasm:

The Big Swede*

I would have loved to see Canada smack Sweden once again in the finals but too bad Sweden couldn't get there

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Instead of worrying about Canada just as your coach and team seem to be, if I were you I would worry more about how your team is going to handle the U.S in the BRONZE medal game.

We don't give a **** about the bronze medal.

Well, I honestly don't care, anyway... ;-)

It's not easy going for bronze when you feel that we should have been going for gold.

The loss vs Russia was extremely bitter, very, very bitter.

Honestly, anyone who really knows hockey saw that Sweden was the better team.

The style we play now is a something for the future, a mix between physical, offensive North American hockey and traditional Swedish hockey. We have truly been inspired a lot by North American hockey the last 10 years or so. The next time we will win.

How fun is it to watch a team (Russia) that only awaits the other teams turnovers?

It's like watching Italy playing soccer, effective but boring.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON

Rönnberg: “I think actually, we had tougher games against the Czechs and Russians,†Rönnberg said. “Those games were tougher for us to control. I think they play better offensively than Canada did tonight.â€

I think maybe 1/10th of the posters in here actually knew what he said.

So what's the lesson here? For the love of God, don't be honest. Lie. And it doesn't matter if you're right, as long as you follow some effed up code of conduct that is far from anything that has to do with "sportmanship". It's the "wolf in sheep clothes" handbook. How to be an a-hole and get away with it.

The bottom line is that Canada scored 6 goals on Sweden in the game which was double the Russians and Czech combined. And if he had have said the russians played better thats one thing (Although the Russians were shutout so thats hardly the truth). The Czech are not even a power in the Junior tournament, and to say they gave Sweden a tougher time is just false. Sweden played better than Canada, but I would have have a tough time believing that the Swedish coach was saying that because he believed it to be true. I assume he was trying to say "Canada isn't as good as everyone says they are." Thats fine, freedom of speech and everything, but if you are going to say that then you will look like an idiot of you blow a lead in the 3rd period of the next game.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Personally I didn't have a problem with what the Swedish coach said, I don't think it was meant to be disrespectful he was just saying what he felt was the truth. Canada DID play poorly that game, it's not a stretch to think the Swedes had stiffer competition then. Honestly I was more annoyed with Lehner's comment than the Swedish coach's.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

This is a complete non event for most Canadian hockey fans. When I saw it on TV, I just thought it was a dumb thing for the coach to say. Might have been true, but goes against everything they teach you in coaching 101. Perhaps he should have spent less time making speeches and more time coaching, as his team appeared to be very unprepared to start the game against a very tired Russian team. Sweden needs to figure out why they seem to peak during the meaningless preliminary games and then crap the bed when it matters most.

RAGINGxPONY

Mar 16, 2010
Canada
Yeah, Canadians handle themselves great when the camera is around. That way there won't be any proof, only hear-say.

"I think if we look at the scoring chances it was tougher games against them," he said. "I think they played better offensively than Canada tonight. We know they have the better defence. They are not pleased with the game tonight I think, but I think those games were tougher for us controlling how they look on the ice.

"I think we did a good game tonight, we controlled the ice, we played good, with puck possession, we kept them on the outside, but hey, it's only one game."

This is so disrespectful... I can't believe he could say something like this:sarcasm:
I consider that a good thing.

I don't consider what the Sweden coach said as offensive, I think its an extremely stupid and unprofessional thing to say though. Especially when you consider it was a SO win and could have gone either way.

FanHabtic*

We don't give a **** about the bronze medal.

Well, I honestly don't care, anyway... ;-)

It's not easy going for bronze when you feel that we should have been going for gold.

The loss vs Russia was extremely bitter, very, very bitter.

Honestly, anyone who really knows hockey saw that Sweden was the better team.

The style we play now is a something for the future, a mix between physical, offensive North American hockey and traditional Swedish hockey. We have truly been inspired a lot by North American hockey the last 10 years or so. The next time we will win.

How fun is it to watch a team (Russia) that only awaits the other teams turnovers?

It's like watching Italy playing soccer, effective but boring.

Actually your own coach admitted that Russia was the better team. And Ronnberg always tells the truth right in press conferences right? ;)

"We played only one bad game in the tournament," Rönnberg said, "and unfortunately it was the most important game. We simply couldn't play up to our usual standards. Our guys were not relaxed as in the beginning of the tournament. We lost against the better team."

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
All the while I do agree the with you on the effect this plays in competitive sport, I keep getting stuck on your "truthfully" statement, nearly any time I can imagine playing the psychological card in order to gain any type of advantage it is far from the truth, otherwise what little effect would it have?
Well truth can be absolute, and subjective. It's nothing more than a personal belief. We could all agree 2+2=4, but if the question is asked "who's the greatest guitarist of all time" ten different answers from 10 different people would all be true. The fact that truth can be subjective and pliable to personal perspective is what leads to so many conflicts. It can be redefined at will. Which is why it's such a handy psychological card. It's like the joker in a deck of cards... it can be anything at anytime if that's what a person wants. And if a person wants to be offended by a Swedish coach so he can fire up his team, then he will.

Is Canada the best junior hockey nation in the world? Well, what is meant by "best"? Here's where truth is subjective, and "facts" and "beliefs" can be used to flame one other on a hockey board, or in the media. There is no best, there is no absolute, so the argument goes on ad infinitum. All it manages to do leave board members all pissed off at each other. Now, some people loved to feel pissed off. They love to feel indignant and righteous. Gives them a feeling of superiority. And sometimes.... sometimes.... that indignant feeling of superiority is what hockey clubs use to win games.

In the immortal words of George Costanza (when talking about beating a lie-detector machine), "Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it."

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Basically, there are opinions that a serious coach isn't supposed to have, and that Czech Republic are a most dangerous team than Canada at the U20 is one of them.

I mean... It's just not right. Would've no problem with Russia, but the Czechs? I mean, if Sweden had problems against them, it is THEIR problem - as they were really steamrolled by Canada.

That just just provided some motivation material for Team Canada.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The bottom line is that Canada scored 6 goals on Sweden in the game which was double the Russians and Czech combined. And if he had have said the russians played better thats one thing (Although the Russians were shutout so thats hardly the truth). The Czech are not even a power in the Junior tournament, and to say they gave Sweden a tougher time is just false. Sweden played better than Canada, but I would have have a tough time believing that the Swedish coach was saying that because he believed it to be true. I assume he was trying to say "Canada isn't as good as everyone says they are." Thats fine, freedom of speech and everything, but if you are going to say that then you will look like an idiot of you blow a lead in the 3rd period of the next game.

No, they didn't.

And again, you need to understand that stats doesn't tell the whole story. Lehner played piss poor against Canada, and stood on his head against Russia. Swap performances from him and Canada scores zero goals while Russia could've scored 6-7. He let three goals in against Canada that were embarrassing, and Canada forcing a shooutout didn't mean that they were better than the Russians. Did you even see Sweden's first game against Russia? You can't have considering what you just wrote?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Actually your own coach admitted that Russia was the better team. And Ronnberg always tells the truth right in press conferences right? ;)

"We played only one bad game in the tournament," Rönnberg said, "and unfortunately it was the most important game. We simply couldn't play up to our usual standards. Our guys were not relaxed as in the beginning of the tournament. We lost against the better team."

With such words, no wonder why they lost.
The most important game is the Final. Not the semi-final.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
No, they didn't.

And again, you need to understand that stats doesn't tell the whole story. Lehner played piss poor against Canada, and stood on his head against Russia. Swap performances from him and Canada scores zero goals while Russia could've scored 6-7. He let three goals in against Canada that were embarrassing, and Canada forcing a shooutout didn't mean that they were better than the Russians. Did you even see Sweden's first game against Russia? You can't have considering what you just wrote?

No I didn't watch the game. All I know is that if canada made your goalie look like a sieve and Russia made your goalie look like a hero, then whos offense was better?

Chumley

Dec 31, 2010
Victoria, B.C.
Like coach Dave Cameron says, "stay humble and let your work on the ice do all the talking." That's why the Swedes will be going home with no medal and the Russians will end up with the silver.:D

The Big Swede*

No, they didn't.

Goals are goals,it doesn't really matter how they went in

Canada should have one 7-1 last night if it wasn't for Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad