Thank you Swedish Head Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAGINGxPONY

Mar 16, 2010
Canada
No, they didn't.

And again, you need to understand that stats doesn't tell the whole story. Lehner played piss poor against Canada, and stood on his head against Russia. Swap performances from him and Canada scores zero goals while Russia could've scored 6-7. He let three goals in against Canada that were embarrassing, and Canada forcing a shooutout didn't mean that they were better than the Russians. Did you even see Sweden's first game against Russia? You can't have considering what you just wrote?

Canada's goalie wasn't exactly great either, that's what your leaving out.
And the game was 5-5 and went into a Shootout, regardless of how it got there and who was outplayed, it was anyones game.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I consider that a good thing.

I don't consider what the Sweden coach said as offensive, I think its an extremely stupid and unprofessional thing to say though. Especially when you consider it was a SO win and could have gone either way.

Again, Canada forcing a shootout didn't really tell how the game was played. The score was even, the chances and how the game was dictated wasn't. Canadians were extremely lucky to get a tie to get the shootout - I don't think anyone can deny that.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The bottom line is that Canada scored 6 goals on Sweden in the game which was double the Russians and Czech combined. And if he had have said the russians played better thats one thing (Although the Russians were shutout so thats hardly the truth). The Czech are not even a power in the Junior tournament, and to say they gave Sweden a tougher time is just false. Sweden played better than Canada, but I would have have a tough time believing that the Swedish coach was saying that because he believed it to be true. I assume he was trying to say "Canada isn't as good as everyone says they are." Thats fine, freedom of speech and everything, but if you are going to say that then you will look like an idiot of you blow a lead in the 3rd period of the next game.
So I assume you watched the other games Sweden played? I assume your tactical knowledge are at a coach's level? What's your grasp of game pictures? Does the score represent the actual game in each case?

Rönnberg implied - in his second language - his team had a harder time to control the games vs European defensive minded teams on small rinks than he felt his team had against Canada, where the game picture was total guns blazing, which fitted Sweden's roster speed perfectly.

Anyone who knows Rönnberg knows he isn't the type that is smirk. He is brutally honest. He is very open minded with what he thinks. He comes from the north of Sweden for god's sake, he doesn't even know how a person isn't humble and self critizicing.

This feels like Italian football fans in the 2-2 game in the WC... they automatically assumed Sweden and Denmark cheated, because that is how they would've done it. So, I assume a ton of Canadians assume Rönnberg was taunting in his comments, because that's how they would've meant it?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Actually your own coach admitted that Russia was the better team. And Ronnberg always tells the truth right in press conferences right? ;)

"We played only one bad game in the tournament," Rönnberg said, "and unfortunately it was the most important game. We simply couldn't play up to our usual standards. Our guys were not relaxed as in the beginning of the tournament. We lost against the better team."

Rönnberg.......

We didn't play well the first 40 minutes, I partly blame Rönnberg for this. It's his work to get his player ready to play from the first second, we looked sleepy. He couldn't wake them up until third period.

Then he gave Nemeth and Erixon way to much icetime. This was his biggest mistake. I like both of them but Nemeth was to slow vs the quick Russians and also strangely lacking aggresiveness.

A 95 year old could see that both Nemeth and Erixon had a very poor day at work, being on the ice for all three goal against (!!!!)

Why not utilizing Adam Larsson more????????????

This is a very big mystery.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Also I want to express my opinion on saying things to the media and such.

Ken Campbell reported that a Swedish player during the third period of the game against Canada yelled to his bench and probably loud enough for the Canadians to hear "Who the (f-bomb) is Canada anyway?" Now I haven't seen one Canadian poster outraged that this.

You know why? Because its not that they said something bad about Canada. I am sure that every team says something bad about Canada behind closed doors and thats fine, but to say it to the media is a different animal all together...

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
The swedish coach should learn english, or not be so analyzehorny right after the game, and yes i know my beloved countrymen we love honesty and a clear mind but a clear mind would have anticipated this ****storm. That said, the canadian coach should have called him on the comment right away, rather then running to the media and child-like saying he intended the swedish coach harm, which made him lose what moral highground he had.

Enough of this pitty whining ye?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
No, they didn't.

And again, you need to understand that stats doesn't tell the whole story. Lehner played piss poor against Canada, and stood on his head against Russia. Swap performances from him and Canada scores zero goals while Russia could've scored 6-7. He let three goals in against Canada that were embarrassing, and Canada forcing a shooutout didn't mean that they were better than the Russians. Did you even see Sweden's first game against Russia? You can't have considering what you just wrote?

So what all this means is what exactly? What counts is Swe-USA for Bronze. Can-Rus for Gold. Time to move on now.

Markable89

May 6, 2010
Torotno
The swedish coach should learn english, or not be so analyzehorny right after the game, and yes i know my beloved countrymen we love honesty and a clear mind but a clear mind would have anticipated this ****storm. That said, the canadian coach should have called him on the comment right away, rather then running to the media and child-like saying he intended the swedish coach harm, which made him lose what moral highground he had.

Enough of this pitty whining ye?

Can you please provide a source of the Canadian coach running to the media..? May have happened, may not have...Seeing as I havent seen an article on it and im in a hockey mad market im guessing it didnt.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
So I assume you watched the other games Sweden played? I assume your tactical knowledge are at a coach's level? What's your grasp of game pictures? Does the score represent the actual game in each case?

Rönnberg implied - in his second language - his team had a harder time to control the games vs European defensive minded teams on small rinks than he felt his team had against Canada, where the game picture was total guns blazing, which fitted Sweden's roster perfectly.

Anyone who knows Rönnberg knows he isn't the type that is smirk. He is brutally honest. He is very open minded with what he thinks. He comes from the north of Sweden for god's sake, he doesn't even know how a person isn't humble and self critizising.

This feels like Italian football fans in the 2-2 game in the WC... they automatically assumed Sweden and Denmark cheated, because that is how they would've done it. So, I assume a ton of Canadians assume Rönnberg was taunting in his comments, because that's how they would've meant it?

1. No I didn't watch the game, but i've never seen a game where a team who was shutout played better than a team that scored 5 goals...

2. I noticed you made a comment about it being his second language... if it is and you are uncomfortable then don't talk about the other team as things will be lost in translation

3. I don't have the same knowledge as a coach... neither do you

4. I am not a Soccer fan at all, but I call it the way I see it and it looked to me like the Swedish coach was taunting in his comments (probably to motivate his own team in the Gold game) but he was wrong to do so.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
All I'm hearing is bla bla bla, a lot rambling excuses and whining. If we swapped performances here and there, and if we played like this and if we played this team...just on and on and on. LOL Stop crying over spilled milk.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Also I want to express my opinion on saying things to the media and such.

Ken Campbell reported that a Swedish player during the third period of the game against Canada yelled to his bench and probably loud enough for the Canadians to hear "Who the (f-bomb) is Canada anyway?" Now I haven't seen one Canadian poster outraged that this.

You know why? Because its not that they said something bad about Canada. I am sure that every team says something bad about Canada behind closed doors and thats fine, but to say it to the media is a different animal all together...

This Sweden vs Canada thing is getting ridiculous. :)

We look up to Canada, you are our biggest inspiriation. Most Swedes actually love the kind of hockey Canada play. Sweden has been inspired a lot by Canada the last 10 years or so. Look at these Swedish kids, what you see now is a mix between Canadian hockey and traditional Swedish hockey. The beginnning of a deadly mix. ;-)

We always gets pumped up when playing vs Canada, we love it. :)

It's a new love and hate relation. ;-) We like and respect the hockey Canada play but we love defeating you even more. The beginning of a great rivalry I hope, we have seen signs of this before.

I'm tired of the Finland rivalry anyway. These days I consider Finns our friends, they cheered for us vs the Russians, something I will never forget.

Instead we should take some of the Finnish sisu.

Last edited:

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Can you please provide a source of the Canadian coach running to the media..? May have happened, may not have...Seeing as I havent seen an article on it and im in a hockey mad market im guessing it didnt.

hes referring to Cameron saying "Let me say two things, first of all: they won, they are the king of the mountain for now, they can say what they want. Secondly: I wish there was a portion of the tournament where coaches got to scrimmage against each other."

He said it while laughing which to me was a tounge in cheek thing, but I can see how the Swedish fans could take it as Cameron wanting to give harm to Ronnberg

Markable89

May 6, 2010
Torotno
Why would I?, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. It is you Canadians who act like babies, I have no problem with anyone saying that another nation is better at hockey than we are.:)

Good, we're settled then. :)

Now all that needs to be solved is our clearly differing views on what being a crybaby is (IMO see: Lehner). Anyways that debates for another time.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
This Sweden vs Canada thing is getting rediciolous. :)

We look up to Canada, you are our biggest inspiriation. Most Swedes actually love the kind of hockey Canada play. Sweden has been inspired a lot by Canada the last 10 years or so. Look at these Swedish kids, what you see now is a mix between Canadian hockey and traditional Swedish hockey. The beginnning of a deadly mix. ;-)

We always gets pumped up when playing vs Canada, we love it. :)

It's a new love and hate relation. ;-) We like and respect the hockey Canada play but we love defeating you even more. The beginning of a great rivalry I hope, we have seen signs of this before.

I'm tired of the Finland rivalry anyway. These days I consider Finns our friends, they cheered for us vs the Russians, something I will never forget.

Instead we should take some of the Finnish sisu.

O I agree, I love this kind of stuff from a rivalry standpoint, and it is good for hockey, but I am just responding to the Swedish fans that are saying we just defend everything hockey about our country. I don't really care what other countries say. I'm just saying that if you say it to the media, and you say it in a press conference sitting seats away from the opponent you just beat, then you will look like a fool afterwards.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
hes referring to Cameron saying "Let me say two things, first of all: they won, they are the king of the mountain for now, they can say what they want. Secondly: I wish there was a portion of the tournament where coaches got to scrimmage against each other."

He said it while laughing which to me was a tounge in cheek thing, but I can see how the Swedish fans could take it as Cameron wanting to give harm to Ronnberg

It definitely was tongue and cheek. He was being honest, basically saying look they can talk all they want. It was one game, they get the bye, we have to play in the QF but we will not respond to that. Cameron kept the focus on his team. And look where we are. Like I've said, you will not hear a Canadian coach rip another team on camera. It's not our style. The focus is and always is on OUR team. Look at the results. We're playing for gold, can't really argue it. ;P

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
The players (exceptions Pronger, Perry etc..). are 100 times classier than the coaching staff, the media and fans (ex. HF boards) (And they think what ever they say goes, in international tournaments. They act as a big bully, and I'm not at all surprised at the rep Canada has in hockey.
Why does Perry has such bad reputation. I know he's no angel, but I thought thought he had such a reputation. I think his behavious is generally much better than Pronger. Pls someone enlighten me.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
O I agree, I love this kind of stuff from a rivalry standpoint, and it is good for hockey, but I am just responding to the Swedish fans that are saying we just defend everything hockey about our country. I don't really care what other countries say. I'm just saying that if you say it to the media, and you say it in a press conference sitting seats away from the opponent you just beat, then you will look like a fool afterwards.

Yes, I agree.

Of course it was stupid downtalking Canada at this stage, it only put more preassure on his own team. It's ok to say something like this in the dressing room the get the players pumped but not at the official press conference.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
It definitely was tongue and cheek. He was being honest, basically saying look they can talk all they want. It was one game, they get the bye, we have to play in the QF but we will not respond to that. Cameron kept the focus on his team. And look where we are. Like I've said, you will not hear a Canadian coach rip another team on camera. It's not our style. The focus is and always is on OUR team. Look at the results. We're playing for gold, can't really argue it. ;P

Oh, so it's okay for the Canadian coach to be honest, but not the Swedish?

FanHabtic*

Yes, I agree.

Of course it was stupid downtalking Canada at this stage, it only put more preassure on his own team. It's ok to say something like this in the dressing room the get the players pumped but not at the official press conference.

Bingo! Ronnberg may have been distracted by the media storm after his comments. It is clear that the Swedes were not ready for the Russians from the puck drop.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
1. No I didn't watch the game, but i've never seen a game where a team who was shutout played better than a team that scored 5 goals...
Seriously... please show where in the two sentence quote Rönnberg said Russia and the Czech Republic played better than Canada. He said he considered them play better offense than Canada, because they were tactically harder to control. Again, the number of goals does not equal the quality of scoring chances or game pace. The number of goals against is normally not how a coach will assess a game. He will look at totally different aspects when analyzing the game, which he should.

He maybe came to the conclusion that a couple of the Canadian goals weren't a result of good offense, but of other, for Rönnberg controllable aspects? He said nothing about his own defense or of his own goalie, which he surely wasn't entirely pleased with. And a once in a million bounce off the boards doesn't usually count as something you expect to defend against.

2. I noticed you made a comment about it being his second language... if it is and you are uncomfortable then don't talk about the other team as things will be lost in translation
Yeah right, and then he would've had a **** storm over him since he disrespected Canada by not talking in English when he could've.

3. I don't have the same knowledge as a coach... neither do you
Right. So let's stick with the assessment from the coach that knows hockey, okay? Maybe, just maybe he had honest reasons for claiming that he said?

4. I am not a Soccer fan at all, but I call it the way I see it and it looked to me like the Swedish coach was taunting in his comments (probably to motivate his own team in the Gold game) but he was wrong to do so.
And I say you assume too much. Do you personally know Rönnberg? Do you know how much media training he has had? Are you honestly not coloured by the assessments by your sensationalist sports media, which hanged Rönnberg for his comments and created entire articles out of two sentences?

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bingo! Ronnberg may have been distracted by the media storm after his comments. It is clear that the Swedes were not ready for the Russians from the puck drop.

Pretty plausible, and good argument on why Ronnberg should have kept a low profile.

Markable89

May 6, 2010
Torotno
Oh, so it's okay for the Canadian coach to be honest, but not the Swedish?

Of course its okay to be honest. Sometimes being honest is also being a classless *******. When it is people tend to dislike you.

Basically, yes you can be honest...but I can laugh at you if you say something stupid. :)

FanHabtic*

I hope for Ronnberg's sake that he has his team ready for the Americans. Because the Americans will be out to prove themselves after a poor showing against Canada. I'm not convinced Ronnberg has what it takes to get his team ready. He didn't get them up for the Russians in a game that mattered the most. Perhaps he was distracted by the media-storm he created with his stupid comments.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Of course its okay to be honest. Sometimes being honest is also being a classless *******. When it is people tend to dislike you.

Basically, yes you can be honest...but I can laugh at you if you say something stupid. :)

One of the best way to put it.

I mean -- Ronnberg did something that was dumb (in regards to comparisons vs. Czechs - not saying Russia, because it's actually plausible), and was rightly called out. The fact that some people defends what their coaches said makes it even funnier, to some extend.

And looking at the USA c. Canada game makes it just really obvious that Ronnberg was basically trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad