Thank you Swedish Head Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
By no means was this a "rub this in". As a fan of hockey and a fan of Canada, it left a bad taste in my mouth that he should say something as dumb as that. It's more or less like a taunt. I said that it was more of a motivation to face Sweden again in the finals. It would have been a great rematch so the coach can see up close once again the calibre that he might have missed. Please read before commenting. Secondly why even bring up "if a Canadian coach says it" No Canadian coach would be that idiotic to say something like that.

It's called a language barrier, the guy was obviosly struggling with English. To me it is no big deal buyt I would be furious to have seen a thread like yours "taunting" after Canada had suffered a bitter loss. Like I said, poor taste.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
So truth-lovers, pretend you just slept with a new girlfriend for the first time. When you're done, she says you weren't as good in bed as her previous Russian and Czech boyfriends. Now be honest here... are you happy to hear the truth? I mean it's the truth right, there's nothing wrong with that. It wouldn't piss you off to hear that, would it?

The Swedish coach lit a fire under the Canadian team, and the Canadians took it out on the Americans. If Sweden had made the finals, they'd have been next. Unfortunately, it's going to be the Russians, which is tragic because apparently they know how to make a girl happy.

I don't know what the heck is going on in this thread :dunno:

But this post... is probably one of the worst hypothetical examples I've ever heard that pertains to semi-pro hockey, well played sir, you've managed to summarize the cause of and solution to the stereotypical hockey fourm board poster child, thanks for the honest laugh

A terrible analogy but I loved it.

Sweden still has a chance for gold if old hostilities are renewed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-up_in_Piestany

24 years ago today. Nevar forget.

FanHabtic*

Yeah. That´s also the difference between someone who actually is a complete arse and someone who is...well honest and maybe a bit naive (Ronnberg should have known Canadians are babies unless put on a pedestal) .

Fake it in front off camera, f u c k it and everyone else off camera. It´s called hypocrisy.

A few points:

1. It was reported that the "Canadian Leaders" mocked Ronnberg after Sweden's loss though there is no tangible evidence of this.

2. On camera, and in a post-game presser, you never disparage the losing team (even if it was unintentional). But the bottom line is that he provided the Canadian team with additional motivation in the event that Sweden met up with Canada in the gold medal game.

3. Off camera is meaningless since we are not privy to the conversations at hand.

Hypocrisy is defending Ronnberg for statements he made on the record that insulted the Canadian coach, then complain that the Canadian "leader" is a dick because he mocked the Swedish coach off camera.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Hypocrisy is defending Ronnberg for statements he made on the record that insulted the Canadian coach, then complain that the Canadian "leader" is a d i c k because he mocked the Swedish coach off camera.

:laugh:

If Ronnberg turned to Cameron at the pressconference and said: "U sucked", i would agree with you.

FanHabtic*

:laugh:

If Ronnberg turned to Cameron at the pressconference and said: "U sucked", i would agree with you.

I think you miss the nuance of what Ronnberg said in the presser. His comments were completely unnecessary. He wasn't asked if he felt the Russians and Czechs were better competition compared to Canada (two teams the Canadians beat handedly). He just blatantly offered that to the media covering the presser.

His comments annoyed the Canadian coach.

Whether it was true or not (debatable) has no bearing on the fact that it was a completely unnecessary and glib thing to say when you are sitting right next to the guy you just beat.

But continue to defend his comments while berate the Canadian coach for something he allegedly said off camera and of which you have no tangible evidence of.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
This is just a ****ing troll thread, let it die and the trolls warned. I am ashamed that none of the moderators hasn't made a move at it, but perhaps they got their reasons (if there are reasons I do not value them) - I'm out.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
But this post... is probably one of the worst hypothetical examples I've ever heard that pertains to semi-pro hockey, well played sir, you've managed to summarize the cause of and solution to the stereotypical hockey fourm board poster child, thanks for the honest laugh

To be clear, I'm wasn't comparing hockey to sexual performance, I was trying to demonstrate a connection between a truthful statement and the emotional reaction. Some people, sometimes, don't like to hear what's being said. And sometimes, some people take their emotional reaction and use that energy in response to what's been said. I'm sure the Swedish coach was speaking truthfully for himself. I'm sure the Canadian team channeled their emotions in response to what was said.

Here I tried to say the same thing in a different way, before this thread even started.

Last edited:

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
But continue to defend his comments while berate the Canadian coach for something he allegedly said off camera and of which you have no tangible evidence of.

I´ve actually never claimed Cameron said anything, noone has.

The claim was Canadian team management mocked the swedish team and magement after the russia game, with both words and gestures. And that swedish press and TV has recieved the same treatment, but in that case mainly from Canadian press.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Too bad Sweden wasn't ready to play the Russians.

That should have been the focus of the team.

Now the focus should be on playing the Americans.

Perhaps, as one of the coaches suggested, the coaches of the two teams could square off after the tournament in a game of full contact hockey without the press being around.

Markable89

May 6, 2010
Torotno

The claim was Canadian team management mocked the swedish team and magement after the russia game, with both words and gestures. And that swedish press and TV has recieved the same treatment, but in that case mainly from Canadian press.

Maybe they did, maybe they didnt....I dont know. What I do know is the Swedish coach insulted the Canadian team on camera....No maybe there......

Eitherway, why make this thread? We're the ones playing for the gold medal, and that speaks enough itself, I personally dont blame the Canadian media or managment, while not classy, it was provoked.

BruceOp

Dec 8, 2004

Someone should have told the Swedish coach that Canada was waiting for the real tournament to begin. :sarcasm:

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
I'm Canadian and i actually don't care about this comment.. Canada's coaching staff shouldn't too. Don't be too cocky, or **** will happen. Look at Sweden now.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If we had 10 times as many registered hockey players as you do, we'd win every single year. And even though Canada infact has 8.5 times more hockey players than Sweden (probably at least 10 times more on the junior side), we did beat you:) That's a bigger feat than you winning the gold:)

So Sweden is the real winner regardless of the outcomes tomorrow. How convenient for Swedish fans. Congratulations, you have outdone yourself this time.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
To be clear, I'm wasn't comparing hockey to sexual performance, I was trying to demonstrate a connection between a truthful statement and the emotional reaction. Some people, sometimes, don't like to hear what's being said. And sometimes, some people take their emotional reaction and use that energy in response to what's been said. I'm sure the Swedish coach was speaking truthfully for himself. I'm sure the Canadian team channeled their emotions in response to what was said.

Here I tried to say the same thing in a different way, before this thread even started.

I understand the analogy didn't revolve around the meat of your argument, fair enough, none the less it was quite bizzare

We could jostle back and forth about emotion, context, and perception all day long, but I would be hesitent to assume the words used by the Swedish coach was little more than his personal opinion and may have very well been completely blown out of proportion, exaggerated, and lost in context due to an obvious language barrier

All the while I do agree the with you on the effect this plays in competitive sport, I keep getting stuck on your "truthfully" statement, nearly any time I can imagine playing the psychological card in order to gain any type of advantage it is far from the truth, otherwise what little effect would it have?

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
but I would be hesitent to assume the words used by the Swedish coach was little more than his personal opinion and may have very well been completely blown out of proportion, exaggerated, and lost in context due to an obvious language barrier

Well, Ronnberg would never disrespect Team Canada on purpose, or any other team. He might be a person that will not take **** from anyone, no matter who you are, but he will not start throwing it around.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
An example of ignorance being truly bliss!! What I would give to be able to ask that and mean it!

Are you refering to hockeybuzz Eklund?

Is it someone me as a european should now straight out of my head three o´clock at night when someone wakes me up and screams Eklund in my ear?

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Well, Ronnberg would never disrespect Team Canada on purpose, or any other team. He might be a person that will not take **** from anyone, no matter who you are, but he will not start throwing it around.

Spotted you already burning up the sister thread with the video links

So I'm presuming that this means you personally stand behind each and every word no matter the message based on character, which is fine, just a little sad

MotorMaster

Jan 7, 2009
Earth/cybertron/Char
I'm Canadian and i actually don't care about this comment.. Canada's coaching staff shouldn't too. Don't be too cocky, or **** will happen. Look at Sweden now.

Exactly, I wish people would stop rubbing other people's noses in our success...what goes around comes around and being arrogant is not something we should take pride in.

We should be humble like the players who are actually winning the games.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
are the mods absolutely brain dead?

WHY is this thread not locked?

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
Are you refering to hockeybuzz Eklund?

Is it someone me as a european should now straight out of my head three o´clock at night when someone wakes me up and screams Eklund in my ear?

That would be the one. Nothing meant towards you. as a die hard hockey fan it's just one of those things I wish I knew nothing about...

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
So, to be clear. Every time a coach gives a compliment to a team that isn't Canada, every Canadian will start acting like a baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad