Thank you Swedish Head Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Rönnberg said Sunday he hadn’t meant the comment in the aggressive way it sounded, and there was a bit of unfamiliarity with the English language involved. “I mean, no disrespect for Hockey Canada,” he said. “I have great respect for them. I just meant that Canada had 10 scoring chances in that game, where the Czechs had 18 against us and Russia 19. And Canada did not play its best game that night.”

Oh my... he actually assessed a hockey game by other factors than goals scored? OH MY GOD! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?
http://www.puckwatch.com/2011/01/karma-gets-best-of-ronnbergs-swedes.html

But let's ignore what a coach obviously implies, and let's assume a crap load of sensationalist crap instead. So much easier to get offended out of nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah, or maybe you have no clue what you're talking about?

Oh my... he actually assessed a hockey game by other factors than goals scored? OH MY GOD! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

But let's ignore what a coach obviously implies, and let's assume a crap load of sensationalist crap instead. So much easier to get offended out of nothing.

Well... Maybe Canada had a "bad game" and the Czechs a "great one"?

And either way, he would have been smarter to say nothing of that.

Take also note of the non-xenophobic nature of mostly every poster who took time to reply.

Markable89

May 6, 2010
Torotno
But let's ignore what a coach obviously implies, and let's assume a crap load of sensationalist crap instead.

The thing that I think you are missing here is that it wasn't obviously implied. From my perspective, most of the reaction to the comments wasnt influenced by media, it is the consensus that many individual thinkers have arrived at. I have only seen a few fringe Blog posts related to this.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The thing that I think you are missing here is that it wasn't obviously implied. From my perspective, most of the reaction to the comments wasnt influenced by media, it is the consensus that many individual thinkers have arrived at. I have only seen a few fringe Blog posts related to this.
So how about reading the actual quotes, word by word, before forming an opinion of your own? Again, it's pretty damn obvious a coach will assess and analyze games from whole other perspectives than casual fans do.

The Canadian coach heard what he wanted to hear.

Rönnberg's only fault was not explaining himself clearer.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So how about reading the actual quotes, word by word, before forming an opinion of your own? Again, it's pretty damn obvious a coach will assess and analyze games from whole other perspectives than casual fans do.

The Canadian coach heard what he wanted to hear.

Rönnberg's only fault was not explaining himself clearer.

The thing also is that he said these things without even being asked a specific question to what he was talking about. He just ranted on.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The thing also is that he said these things without even being asked a specific question to what he was talking about. He just ranted on.
So now two sentences is ranting? ROFL. Alright. Whatever you say bud. Have you ever seen the press conference? Do you have any clue whatsoever what you're talking about? Do you even know what the question was that Rönnberg was asked?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He was asked a question he answered it, and then just went on a rant like he had to get something off his chest. It was weird.

Markable89

May 6, 2010
Torotno

Umm yeh, I did that.

:facepalm: I give up.

Keep defending your saint of a coach who no one on this forum minus swedish fans will ever think of or hear from again.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So now two sentences is ranting? ROFL. Alright. Whatever you say bud.

Not ranting but it was like he had something to say to make a point which was weird. He knew the Canadian coach was sitting there so maybe he wanted to make a point, it was dumb.

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
How come we beat you then?

And of course you have the biggest talent pool when you have more registered players than all countries in Europe put together.

I do put Canada on a "pedestal", they are the best hockey nation in the world. Why are you bringing that up, when did I ever say otherwise?:help:

I read something interesting the other night. They said that many other countries do not bother to register their hockey players until they are at the elite level so that "registered" figures are often pointless as a good comparison if this is the case. I don't know if that is the case in Sweden but apparently it is in some hockey countries.

By the way, I do give kudos to the Swedish team for bringing some excellent players to the tournament this year. The Canada/Sweden game was an exciting one to watch. :handclap:

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario

going by that then his goalie played terrible having a worse save %, and his team was terribly out hit

those are 2 things not related to goal scoring, so why didn't he mention those?

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
This is as pathetic it gets. But what can you expect from certain canadian posters.

Rönnberg said that the Russians was more difficult to play as an opponent then Canada, based on the games. Sweden beat Canada and lost to Russia. Only a oversensitive canadian hockey fan would take that as an insult. Seriously, you guys should take a valium and calm down. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
I wasn't offended at all. It's just not the way coaches tend to choose their words...they will stay neutral and avoid the truth if it may offend the coach sitting next to them, it's just respect.

If you say that and then lose elsewhere it just looks bad on you. I think your perceiving us to have taken much more offense to it then we actually did...it's the etiquette I thought was questionable...but it's the etiquette that Sweden continues to show at these tournaments and it never works...so we kind of laughed at it.

And if you beat us 4-0 next year at this tournament and your coach says "well I think this makes us the favourite"...I'll question his etiquette and words again and I will laugh at him if they fail.

When your in front of the camera, stay neutral, stay humble...if not your creating headlines.

Which is what they want to do.

You have to understand (not agree) that the Swedes have been the quiet, nice guys for years. Someone punches you, you skate away, etc. This is not only in icehockey, but in the society as a whole.

These days, kids are going through life with a swagger, detesting the "old" Swedish way of "Lagom" (not too much and not too little). The hockey teams as of late are a procuct of this (10 years ago, the Swedish media and teams were busier talking about who they were hoping were going to beat who, so Sweden wouldn't have to play one or the other...blah...bla... and more blah.

Putting it to you this way, winning gold is not enough, it seems. Winning Gold against Canada, in Canada, with a pissed off crowd, refs against you, and with the rest of the world all dressed in Red for the evening.... that is the ultimate goal (gold) these days.

I expect that this kind of posturing will go away in a few years (the pendelum will center), but for now, it is what it is.

MugenSilverSiR

Jun 30, 2008
I think it's fitting that because my original thread was just to thank the head coach to fuel the already fire burning under Canadas butt to win gold that I also should end this one.

Mods, my post was never meant to engage everyone into a he said she said thread. Games at this level sometimes can be very difficult for any team especially the ones with high expectations. Many times those expectations fall short, every so often it just takes a certain moment in time where you just need that extra push again to get you over the hump and for that reason alone I created this thread.

I request to lock this thread so my Canadian brothers and sisters and my friends in Sweden can put an end to this squabble.

Let's all be fans of the game again! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->