Thank you Swedish Head Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
It's not pre-school...that's why Cameron joked about it afterwards instead of crying.

Bet tell me, in the SEL if one team beats another 6-0 tonight does the coach of the winning team tell the media...well that team sucked tonight. No. It's an extreme example...but a comment like that creates a stir and the coach knows that...if that team ends up getting crushed the next night he just looks like a fool.

He didn't, whats your point? He didn't say that Canada sucked; only that the two other teams posted a bigger challenge.

FanHabtic*

If we had 10 times as many registered hockey players as you do, we'd win every single year. And even though Canada infact has 8.5 times more hockey players than Sweden (probably at least 10 times more on the junior side), we did beat you:) That's a bigger feat than you winning the gold:)

Wow, haters will be haters. Obviously Canada's supremacy has to do with the number of registered hockey players. The fact that Canada produces the number of registered hockey players each year has to do with tradition and heritage.

Canada could probably ice 3 x WJHC teams and each would be as competitive as the Swedish team. We have the largest talent pool to choose from. We won't apologize for that.

Also, the mere fact that you feel beating Canada is a higher achievement than Canada winning gold shows your complete and utter jealousy. It also shows how high a pedestal you place Canada. Then you blame us for being on a pedestal. hahaha

Svinet

May 20, 2010
Regarding the comments made by the Canadian coaching staff after the Swe-Rus game look at the top video at this page (wikegårds blogg)

http://nyheter24.se/blogg/niklas-wikegard/

It's in Swedish but at around 1.13 the reporter David Fjäll quotes in english (mind the somewhat poor audio quality) the mocking he received from the Canadian coaching staff after the game. If anything those words were way way more classless then what the Swedish coach said during the press conference.

They keep on discussing several experiences with both the Canadian team and the Canadian media (keyword arrogance). Further they point out the huge difference between how the Russian and Canadian media behaves off air.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He didn't, whats your point? He didn't say that Canada sucked; only that the two other teams posted a bigger challenge.

It's just an example of how coaches and people avoid telling the whole truth in order to avoid stirs in the media that can open them up to being mocked later if the rest of the games don't go there way.

It was hypothetical. I'd look at it the same way if Dave Cameron told the media yesterday (some of which American) that the US didn't show up last night and they were outclassed completely in all facets of the game. Would have been the truth though...but if Russia beats Canada he just looks like a cocky arrogant fool that did not win.

FanHabtic*

Regarding the comments made by the Canadian coaching staff after the Swe-Rus game look at the top video at this page (wikegårds blogg)

It's in Swedish but at around 1.13 the reporter David Fjäll quotes in english (mind the somewhat poor audio quality) the mocking he received from the Canadian coaching staff after the game. If anything those words were way way more classless then what the Swedish coach said during the press conference.

They keep on discussing several experiences with both the Canadian team and the Canadian media (keyword arrogance). Further they point out the huge difference between how the Russian and Canadian media behaves off air.

So these guys are *****ing and whining yet do not have any evidence to support their claims? Until you produce a soundbyte of the Canadian team members insulting the Swedish media i will just pass this off as sour grapes, jealousy and utter stupidity.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Wow, haters will be haters. Obviously Canada's supremacy has to do with the number of registered hockey players. The fact that Canada produces the number of registered hockey players each year has to do with tradition and heritage.

Canada could probably ice 3 x WJHC teams and each would be as competitive as the Swedish team. We have the largest talent pool to choose from. We won't apologize for that.

Also, the mere fact that you feel beating Canada is a higher achievement than Canada winning gold shows your complete and utter jealousy. It also shows how high a pedestal you place Canada. Then you blame us for being on a pedestal. hahaha

How come we beat you then?

And of course you have the biggest talent pool when you have more registered players than all countries in Europe put together.

I do put Canada on a "pedestal", they are the best hockey nation in the world. Why are you bringing that up, when did I ever say otherwise?:help:

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
After reflecting on what the head coach said about the competition between them vs Canada. I think that only lit a fire under Canadas pants and they wanted to face Sweden one more time in the Finals. For that I do thank the head coach for making Canada that much more hungrier against the US. Not that there was already motivation enough to beat our nemesis. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yY1z8ef_Sc

Good luck in the Bronze medal game.

It's in poor taste trying to rub this in. The comments are nothing, a Canadian coach can say that and no one bats an eyelash.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
The earnestness for truth from the Swedish fans is admirable.

So truth-lovers, pretend you just slept with a new girlfriend for the first time. When you're done, she says you weren't as good in bed as her previous Russian and Czech boyfriends. Now be honest here... are you happy to hear the truth? I mean it's the truth right, there's nothing wrong with that. It wouldn't piss you off to hear that, would it?

The Swedish coach lit a fire under the Canadian team, and the Canadians took it out on the Americans. If Sweden had made the finals, they'd have been next. Unfortunately, it's going to be the Russians, which is tragic because apparently they know how to make a girl happy.

I don't know what the heck is going on in this thread :dunno:

But this post... is probably one of the worst hypothetical examples I've ever heard that pertains to semi-pro hockey, well played sir, you've managed to summarize the cause of and solution to the stereotypical hockey fourm board poster child, thanks for the honest laugh

marty 4 hart*

He didnt respect Canada, and that is wrong. Canada is the greatest hockey nation in the world, we deserve to be respected.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's not pre-school...that's why Cameron joked about it afterwards instead of crying.

Bet tell me, in the SEL if one team beats another 6-0 tonight does the coach of the winning team tell the media...well that team sucked tonight. No. It's an extreme example...but a comment like that creates a stir and the coach knows that...if that team ends up getting crushed the next night he just looks like a fool.

I mean you really don't understand the way Canada treats hockey or the way the media treats it if you don't think a coach saying Canada is not the best..or did not test them like others...or is not the favourite will not create a stir in the media. You don't have to get on your knees...actually they are free to say what they want....but if in the end you end up finishing behind them your open to being mocked. Which is why most coaches generally just keep their mouths shut and stay neutral.

We were (some of us atleast) laughing at OUR OWN main sports media outlet before the tournament started for avoiding calling us the favourite.

I would just like to add, if he said this after the tournament it would've been fine. But saying it right after a preliminary game was not very smart. Now the Swedish coach looks like a fool.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Are you telling me that Sweden didn't dominate that game? Did you even see it?

Well don't exagerate either...yes Sweden was dictating more of the play..in 2 of the 3 periods anyways..but they were far from dominating. Dominating is when Canada or Sweden plays against Norway..that's dominating.

FanHabtic*

Because you scored more goals in the shootout than we did.

And of course you have the biggest talent pool when you have more registered players than all countries in Europe put together.

Well obviously. Should be apologize for having the biggest talent pool? Its something that we are rather proud of. Hockey is a religion to Canadians.

I do put Canada on a "pedestal", they are the best hockey nation in the world. Why are you bringing that up, when did I ever say otherwise?:help:

Let me correct your assessment. Beating Canada in a round robin game is an achievement. Winning gold is the ultimate achievement. It appears that Swedes are more obsessed about beating Canada than winning gold.

And for the record, Canada has lost to Norway, Switzerland, Germany and Denmark in international tournaments in the past. Those teams achieved something by beating Canada. A hockey power like Sweden shouldn't obsess so much over beating Canada. They should expect to be competitive against us all the time.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Are you telling me that Sweden didn't dominate that game? Did you even see it?

They played better yes, but the point being both goalies played poorly. Had Roy played well Sweden would have lost. I suppose the swedish coach would still say Russia and Czech's were tougher games. Like I said he's cukoo. :laugh:

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
Gold, gold, gold! Have we not won enough Gold in this tourny? It's all about punching out the U S. Mission accomplished. Tomorrow's game is anticlamatic. Actually I sort of like the Russian team, they've been just sailing along lying low, causing no waves. Sneaky buggers!

You'd be satisfied with just silver? Wow, you must've gotten a lot of runner-up trophies as a kid.

If we had 10 times as many registered hockey players as you do, we'd win every single year. And even though Canada infact has 8.5 times more hockey players than Sweden (probably at least 10 times more on the junior side), we did beat you:) That's a bigger feat than you winning the gold:)

If, if, if,.... the game isn't played on "ifs". You beat us in group play. Congratulations. Did you get a medal for that? I didn't think so. Maybe in your mind, beating Canada in group play is bigger than winning the actual gold medal. I guess that's why your nation is now playing for Bronze while we have a chance to win the actual Gold.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Why isnt this thread locked? lol. this thread is going nowhere.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

You guys really shouldn't bother replying to the "we could make 3 teams and beat you with all of them" comments made by Canadians.

In Canada you've got house leagues, rec hockey, rep hockey, regional teams, summer teams, 20 beer league divisions. In other countries you have small portions that play but those players are developed very specifically.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
So these guys are *****ing and whining yet do not have any evidence to support their claims? Until you produce a soundbyte of the Canadian team members insulting the Swedish media i will just pass this off as sour grapes, jealousy and utter stupidity.

Of course you will, it's the Canadian way :laugh:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I would just like to add, if he said this after the tournament it would've been fine. But saying it right after a preliminary game was not very smart. Now the Swedish coach looks like a fool. Also when you say things like that, it's like a challenge of we can beat you again later on in the medal round. And a reason why the coach is being mocked so much from us is that your team failed to even make the final and Canada did! It just makes him look even worse.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I do put Canada on a "pedestal", they are the best hockey nation in the world.

Thus the insults and your defending them. People always want to take a crack at the biggest kid on the block to prove they are worthy.

I think we're done here.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Watching/listening to this only proves what I already think/knew about Canadians.

The players (exceptions Pronger, Perry etc..). are 100 times classier than the coaching staff, the media and fans (ex. HF boards) (And they think what ever they say goes, in international tournaments. They act as a big bully, and I'm not at all surprised at the rep Canada has in hockey.

I won't bother translating what was said in this clip, but that **** is so much worse than what the Swedish coach said - something I don't even understand how Canadians can take offence from.

Some day when I'm terribly bored I'm going to go down marty 4 hart's post history to bring on the lulz.

Why, he's saying the same thing as you are - he's only more blunt about it?

In Canada you've got house leagues, rec hockey, rep hockey, regional teams, summer teams, 20 beer league divisions. In other countries you have small portions that play but those players are developed very specifically.

Yeah, all Swedish hockey players are proffessionals... I know three guys who are registered, two of them don't play at all, they're just regged to be able to pitch in when their local beer league doesn't have enough people to ice a full squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad