Thank you Swedish Head Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FanHabtic*

What many Canadians seem to forget is that the Swedish coach was actually right...

Where not debating on whether he was right. We are commenting on the timing of his comments and the necessity of them in the wake of a big win over Canada and with the Canadian coach sitting next to him. The comments came off as somewhat insulting and disparaging to the Canadian team.

To use an example:

After the win last night against the USA, if the Canadian coach in the presser stated that the US team was highly overrated, would it make it right because it was true? ;)

Bottom line is that after a win, a team coach should emphasize the positives in his team's performance and refrain from negatives regarding the team he just beat. Its bad form to crap on the losing team.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Don't gotta kiss ass Nordic...but when you made statements like that to stir the pot you will be mocked when it doesn't work...again.

I couldn't even tell you whether Ronnberg was telling the truth or not...but it's irrelevant to me. As a coach in front of the media sitting beside an opposing coach your generally expected to stay even keeled and uncontroversial...if you say something controversial...your statements will be held under a microscope.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What many Canadians seem to forget is that the Swedish coach was actually right...

The swedish coach was an idiot, plain and simple
Sweden beat Russia 2-0
Sweden beat Czechs 6-3
Sweden Canada tied at the end of regulation, Tied at the end of OT, Won in a shootout.

Yet he believes it was an easier win. Like I said he's a fool.
Now if he said they were better games, well that would be his opinion. To say they had an easier victory is just plain stupid, but hey........

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Don't gotta kiss ass Nordic...but when you made statements like that to stir the pot you will be mocked when it doesn't work...again.

He said that Russia and even Czech Rep performed better against Sweden, than Canada did? What's the problem???

The swedish coach was an idiot, plain and simple
Sweden beat Russia 2-0
Sweden beat Czechs 6-3
Sweden Canada tied at the end of regulation, Tied at the end of OT, Won in a shootout.
Yet he believes it was an easier win. Like I said he's a fool.
Now if he said they were better games, well that would be his opinion. To say they had an easier victory is just plain stupid, but hey........

Both Russia and the Czech's created more offence than Canada

And Sweden had it way easier against Canada than either of those teams, despite the game going to a shootout. Like I've said before; if Lehner hadn't **** the bed, Sweden could've easily win 5-1.

Everything doesn't show in the stats, and clearly none of you Canadians even saw Sweden against Russia or Czech Rep. If you did, you wouldn't even debate this since you are clearly wrong.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Whether he was right or wrong makes little difference to me. I mean if the US were the worse match of the 3 would he have told the media the Czechs and Canadians were tougher...I'm not sure he would have at all....especially considering the way the Swedes have handled the media in recent years.

My issue was there's no sense in saying something like that while the opposing coach is right beside you. He said it knowing it would make a stir...and he ends up with nothing to show for it. I said it at the time, it was gamesmanship...and it didn't work for the Swedes...again.

I agree. I won't call their coach classless but I'll definitely call him stupid. A good coach, which you'd expect at this level, would never provide motivation to an opposing team they could meet later on when everything is on the line. I only wish the Swedes had won yesterday because what their coach did was classic bulletin board material and with how the Canadians came out and played yesterday, I would have loved to have seen them play the Swedes in the finals. IF that had happened and IF Canada defeatad Sweden in the finals, can you imagine what the media in both Canada and Sweden would be saying? Yes, that the coach stuck his foot in his big mouth! Me, I really don't give a rats ass what he say's. I can laugh now though because he might not be getting a medal at all while Canada is assured at least a silver and hopefully a gold.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
I really hope that comments made by a Swedish coach is not the reason that fired up the Canadian team. They should have been fired up enough on their own to play, if not they should question why they are representing their country at this tournament. I could care less about comments made from an opposing team's coach. A team that is now playing for bronze. The game is played on the ice, not between coaches at post game press conferences. As for Canada, let's stay humble. We haven't won anything yet, there's still a gold medal game to play.

FanHabtic*

I agree. I won't call their coach classless but I'll definitely call him stupid. A good coach, which you'd expect at this level, would never provide motivation to an opposing team they could meet later on when everything is on the line. I only wish the Swedes had won yesterday because what their coach did was classic bulletin board material and with how the Canadians came out and played yesterday, I would have loved to have seen them play the Swedes in the finals. IF that had happened and IF Canada defeatad Sweden in the finals, can you imagine what the media in both Canada and Sweden would be saying? Yes, that the coach stuck his foot in his big mouth! Me, I really don't give a rats ass what he say's. I can laugh now though because he might not be getting a medal at all while Canada is assured at least a silver and hopefully a gold.

I agree as well. The Swedish coach wasn't classless, he was just stupid.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Ok you're obviously not getting it Nordic. After a win, a coach usually emphasizes the positives of HIS team rather then comment on how his opponent did or other games that have nothing to do with the game at hand. It was in poor taste, and saying it while the Canadian coach was sitting right there was like a slap in the face to the Canadian coach and team. I honestly don't understand why he had to say something like that but hey look at where his team is now.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Somewhat petty/classless comments by the Swedish coach, but to say that these comments were somehow the motivation for Canada to play well against the States is ridiculous. Dumb thread.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I really hope that comments made by a Swedish coach is not the reason that fired up the Canadian team. They should have been fired up enough on their own to play, if not they should question why they are representing their country at this tournament. I could care less about comments made from an opposing team's coach. A team that is now playing for bronze. The game is played on the ice, not between coaches at post game press conferences. As for Canada, let's stay humble. We haven't won anything yet, there's still a gold medal game to play.

Gold, gold, gold! Have we not won enough Gold in this tourny? It's all about punching out the U S. Mission accomplished. Tomorrow's game is anticlamatic. Actually I sort of like the Russian team, they've been just sailing along lying low, causing no waves. Sneaky buggers!

FanHabtic*

I think Team USA will have ample motivation in the bronze medal game to prove that they are a much better team than what they displayed against Canada. They will be playing for pride and to save face. The Swedes are probably still distracted by the waived off icing call that they will not regroup in time and focus on the bronze medal game.

I also think the US is a far more skilled team compared to the Swedes. They will match up better against Sweden than Canada did IMO.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Ok you're obviously not getting it Nordic. After a win, a coach usually emphasizes the positives of HIS team rather then comment on how his opponent did or other games that have nothing to do with the game at hand. It was in poor taste, and saying it while the Canadian coach was sitting right there was like a slap in the face to the Canadian coach and team. I honestly don't understand why he had to say something like that but hey look at where his team is now.

He said that Russia and Czech Rep put up a better fight against Sweden, than Canada did. He was being honest, he was 100% right, he wasn't being disrespectful. I wouldn't have cared at all if Sweden **** the bed and performed poorly against Canada, and their coach said that other teams had performed better against them than we did. If it was the truth, so what?

You aren't allowed to comment on the team you just faced? Would it have been ok if he instead said; "Canada was much stronger than Russia"? Yes, it would have been more okey since he praised Canada. In this case he praised the Czech's and the Russians, and all Canadians take it as a slight towards them.

It's nothing but ridiculous. You Canadians take offence if someone has the nerves to say that another team is better. This isn't pre-school, how the hell can you possibly take offence due to something like that? It's like the "no, my dad is stronger than your dad is!!!" ******** kids use in first grade.

Gold, gold, gold! Have we not won enough Gold in this tourny? It's all about punching out the U S. Mission accomplished. Tomorrow's game is anticlamatic. Actually I sort of like the Russian team, they've been just sailing along lying low, causing no waves. Sneaky buggers!

If we had 10 times as many registered hockey players as you do, we'd win every single year. And even though Canada infact has 8.5 times more hockey players than Sweden (probably at least 10 times more on the junior side), we did beat you:) That's a bigger feat than you winning the gold:)

Last edited:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He said that Russia and even Czech Rep performed better against Sweden, than Canada did? What's the problem???

It's just generally not what coaches do...they stay away from the truth if it is controversial. And he knew what he said would create a stir sitting beside Canada's coach infront of media that was likely 90% Canadian. Tell Canadians they are not the best at hockey and you will create a stir in the media....he knew this. And if after that, he doesn't get anywhere...he will get laughed at a little.

Most coaches, of any nation, when asked whatever question Ronnberg was would usually stay neutral and say something like "every team in this tournament is a formidable one and poses it's challenges". Controversy averted...but Ronnberg chose to stir something like the Swedes have in previous years...and he put himself into a position to be mocked for it afterwards...truth or no truth.

I don't know about the way the media is handled by coaches in Sweden but here...if you get the Cup finals you don't sit next to the oppositions coach and say well the other teams we played were actually tougher than these guys....because if you do...and that team beats you...you will get mocked.

fireworks

Apr 17, 2009
Bobcaygeon

About what? winning a meaningless game...in a ****in shootout!! Big deal!
This tournament is all about getting better game by game and playing your best in the "Playoffs" the Swedes played their absolutely best against the Canadians and they had nothing left and looked horrible for the most part against the Russians!

Go Canada Go!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I think Team USA will have ample motivation in the bronze medal game to prove that they are a much better team than what they displayed against Canada. They will be playing for pride and to save face. The Swedes are probably still distracted by the waived off icing call that they will not regroup in time and focus on the bronze medal game.

I also think the US is a far more skilled team compared to the Swedes. They will match up better against Sweden than Canada did IMO.

i-see-what-you-did-there-ceiling-cat-27940-1250313420-23.jpg

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
It's nothing but ridiculous. You Canadians take offence if someone has the nerves to say that another team is better. This isn't pre-school, how the hell can you possibly take offence due to something like that? It's like the "no, my dad is stronger than your dad is!!!" ******** kids use in first grade.

It's not pre-school...that's why Cameron joked about it afterwards instead of crying.

Bet tell me, in the SEL if one team beats another 6-0 tonight does the coach of the winning team tell the media...well that team sucked tonight. No. It's an extreme example...but a comment like that creates a stir and the coach knows that...if that team ends up getting crushed the next night he just looks like a fool.

I mean you really don't understand the way Canada treats hockey or the way the media treats it if you don't think a coach saying Canada is not the best..or did not test them like others...or is not the favourite will not create a stir in the media. You don't have to get on your knees...actually they are free to say what they want....but if in the end you end up finishing behind them your open to being mocked. Which is why most coaches generally just keep their mouths shut and stay neutral.

We were (some of us atleast) laughing at OUR OWN main sports media outlet before the tournament started for avoiding calling us the favourite.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
The earnestness for truth from the Swedish fans is admirable.

So truth-lovers, pretend you just slept with a new girlfriend for the first time. When you're done, she says you weren't as good in bed as her previous Russian and Czech boyfriends. Now be honest here... are you happy to hear the truth? I mean it's the truth right, there's nothing wrong with that. It wouldn't piss you off to hear that, would it?

The Swedish coach lit a fire under the Canadian team, and the Canadians took it out on the Americans. If Sweden had made the finals, they'd have been next. Unfortunately, it's going to be the Russians, which is tragic because apparently they know how to make a girl happy.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
It's not pre-school...that's why Cameron joked about it afterwards instead of crying.

Bet tell me, in the SEL if one team beats another 6-0 tonight does the coach of the winning team tell the media...well that team sucked tonight. No. It's an extreme example...but a comment like that creates a stir and the coach knows that...if that team ends up getting crushed the next night he just looks like a fool.

Bro, he's not going to get it...and apprently neither is his coach.

Might explain why Canada is going for their 16th gold, and Sweden is not fighting for their 2nd gold, but for another bronze.

Just sayin'...

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Both Russia and the Czech's created more offence than Canada

And Sweden had it way easier against Canada than either of those teams, despite the game going to a shootout. Like I've said before; if Lehner hadn't **** the bed, Sweden could've easily win 5-1.Everything doesn't show in the stats, and clearly none of you Canadians even saw Sweden against Russia or Czech Rep. If you did, you wouldn't even debate this since you are clearly wrong.

and if ROY didn't **** the bed Canada would have won 5 - 1
Russia created more offence? They were shutout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad