Former Bruins Thank You, David Krejci: Returning To Czech Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
The wording of his farewell certainly leaves you thinking he will. Maybe he’ll sign Late for pro rated league minimum to come back for a playoff run. One can hope right
He can't. Once he plays in Europe, he would have to pass through waivers to sign and play here and there is no way, someone else wouldn't claim him.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
1- He announced this AFTER the Bruins used up all their cap space in free agency. So he likely wanted a 2 year deal which we can't offer right now we can only do bonus laden 1 year deals.

2- Guys like Soderberg have played regular seasons in Europe and come over to North America in time for the NHL playoffs. The season over there starts earlier.

Why are people having trouble quoting this?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He can't. Once he plays in Europe, he would have to pass through waivers to sign and play here and there is no way, someone else wouldn't claim him.

That sucks.

We can’t sign him to some futures deal or something so he’s like a prospect. I guess a guy like Jagr or whatever Russian KHL guys always came in the summer and Soderberg is the only one that was a prospect but established enough to get into an NHL game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Krejci was a perfect Robin to Bergeron’s Batman the last half of his career.

I never understood why so many wanted to get rid of him for years If they were paying attention.

In my sports & entertainment world where shock/surprise intersects with sadness this is right there with Fred Weasley dying in Harry Potter. Different of course but that same ‘noooo’

all the best to such a great Bruins and class act and really makes me think of that 2019 Cup that got away

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
The real Bruins fans will always love you Krejci! I’m so grateful that we were fortunate to have you and Bergeron as our top 2 centers for more than a decade. I’d say we were pretty spoiled in that regard. Thanks for all the amazing memories and hope we get to see that number reach the rafters someday.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Krejci’s departure for the Czech Republic leaves a gaping hole for Bruins at No. 2 center - The Boston Globe

Krejci, 35, did not technically retire from the NHL, but noted in a farewell statement that he wants to raise his two kids where he grew up, continue his playing career in front of family and friends, and otherwise enjoy the hockey sunset after years well spent in Black and Gold.

Now comes the angst in patching together the Bruins attack.
Who takes Krejci’s place? There is no obvious, easy answer. Plentiful candidates, yes, including top prospect Jack Studnicka, along with Charlie Coyle, perhaps even newly acquired Nick Foligno or fellow UFA signee Erik Haula.

The term “Playoff Krech, while hardly a myth, did not do justice to the fine work he submitted every year in the months leading to the postseason.
General manager Don Sweeney and coach Bruce Cassidy, both of whom were kept well informed by Krejci that he was leaning toward an exit, at the moment must take the “committee” approach, to use Sweeney’s characterization on Wednesday, in solving the open No. 2 hole.
Coyle has to be considered the likely first candidate, not only for his skill set and pay figure ($5.25M cap hit), but also because he is righthanded, like Krejci, in theory making it easier for him to dish to scoring winger Taylor Hall on the left side.

If Sweeney wants to shop for a more high-profile center, or a defenseman, it appears he’ll have to do that via trade. He won’t deal No. 1 blue liner Charlie McAvoy, which leaves really only left wing Jake DeBrusk and defenseman Brandon Carlo as the roster players potentially the most attractive to bidders.
DeBrusk ($3.675M) and Carlo ($4.1M) also both carry substantial cap hits. Of the two, Sweeney would least want to surrender Carlo, but might be forced into it if a bona fide elite pivot, mid- or late-20s, were to become available.
Keep in mind: Bergeron, now without Krjeci providing Herculean support one spot lower in the order, just turned 36 years old. He also has a combined 1,303 games clocked on the odometer. If someone is dangling a legit big-time center, Sweeney isn’t getting in the bid without Carlo’s name in the mix. Painful, but true.

Chara is gone. Krejci is gone. No telling if Rask ultimately resumes play as a Bruin. The “window of opportunity” to win another Cup with a core framed by the ‘11 win, has not been slammed shut, but by the day it is feeling like a cold and broken hallelujah.
David Krejci has left the building . . . and rebuilding in his absence will not be easy.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017

I never understood why so many wanted to get rid of him for years If they were paying attention.

In my sports & entertainment world where shock/surprise intersects with sadness this is right there with Fred Weasley dying in Harry Potter. Different of course but that same ‘noooo’

all the best to such a great Bruins and class act and really makes me think of that 2019 Cup that got away

I made the same comparison lol

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
When he signs in Europe for 1 year we'll know that he will be back. I have him on a 6 year, $6.5 mil contract. The way the league works I'll have him for the rest of this season and the next if he doesn't come back.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
wonder which Czech team he'll play for and if we can get the games
I hope you get to a game ! I hope if you go it is in Prague. It is a beautiful city. I was there in 2010 with my daughter and @DKH was there with his daughter too.

I say there is zero chance of DK returning. He wants to bring his kids up where he grew up and his kids won't be grown up for years.

All we can do is thank David and move on.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
This is a disaster,just as we got him the LW he deserved,who likely figured,at his signing,he'd be playing with Krejci. I wonder if NHL/world covid restrictions factored in.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This is a disaster,just as we got him the LW he deserved,who likely figured,at his signing,he'd be playing with Krejci. I wonder if NHL/world covid restrictions factored in.

I think it was a factor. He was pretty vocal expressing his concern about if last season had to be in a bubble.
He was on the fence. Flat out said he didnt want tobe away from his family for that duration.

Have no idea how long its been since he’s been with his parents and family over there.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

I wanted to trade him after 2019. Cause he sucks? No. Actually because he had value. Same with Chara and Rask.

The reason is exactly what we are seeing. Chara, Rask, Krejci, Krug gone for basically nothing. Most aging out. This puts most teams in a deep freezer rebuild like Detroit though we won’t get to that level until depending on what Bergeron does next off season and what type of season Hall has. It’s just we are getting real close to either being bad or land of mediocrity.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I think it was a factor. He was pretty vocal expressing his concern about if last season had to be in a bubble.
He was on the fence. Flat out said he didnt want tobe away from his family for that duration.

Have no idea how long its been since he’s been with his parents and family over there.
What a shame,as it appears our worldwide situation isn't going away. Gotta be tough on his wife,a local who will now be
sacrificing her family.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
I've had the pleasure of meeting David 2 times with my son and have had a chance to have brief conversations with him. Great dude.

He is and will always be my favorite Bruin.

I have always (personally) felt the Bruins have wasted his talents saddling him with subpar talent for many years. I really thought with the Hall signing he would be back for one more.

That being said I wish him all the best and look forward to the day #46 #37 #63 and #33 hang from the rafters.

Best of luck DK46.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Really.
Please explain how on both points.

1- He announced this AFTER the Bruins used up all their cap space in free agency. So he likely wanted a 2 year deal which we can't offer right now we can only do bonus laden 1 year deals.

2- Guys like Soderberg have played regular seasons in Europe and come over to North America in time for the NHL playoffs. The season over there starts earlier.

I am not upset at DK he deserves to do as he choses but I take him on a 2 year 10 mil deal over anything we signed a couple days ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
He likely wanted to go home.

Like he said he would when he signed his last contract.

Last edited:

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020

I am not upset at DK he deserves to do as he choses but I take him on a 2 year 10 mil deal over anything we signed a couple days ago.

Like he said he would when he signed his last contract.[/QUOTE]
Like @Gonzothe7thDman said why are people having trouble quoting this? :laugh:

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Like he said he would when he signed his last contract.
Like @Gonzothe7thDman said why are people having trouble quoting this? :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. Except that while post was made programming was going on here at HF.
Maybe some weird glitch?

Reactions: inactive user
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: