Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
ffs….

CBA section 13.23:

This is Rule 13.23:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

Basically, Rule 13.23 requires that any player who plays in a European professional league during an NHL season must pass through waivers before being allowed to play in the NHL during that season. As a result of this rule, in the case of Miettinen, Nabokov and Wellwood (who all left the KHL midseason), each was picked off waivers. But from the perspective of the interests of the NHL and the NHLPA, the two parties to the CBA, what’s the point of this rule?

Without question this rule is adverse to the goals of the NHLPA, whose purpose is to advocate for the interests of its members. Rule 13.23 adds a powerful element of risk to any team wishing to sign this category of players, inherently making teams less likely to do so. Furthermore, Rule 13.23 denies the player the element of control over where they play. This category of players basically only get to decide whether or not they are willing to sign a particular NHL contract, and then they leave it to Russian Roulette to determine for which team. Without this rule, players who begin a season in a European league and leave such league midseason would simply return to the free agency status they would have had prior to the season, with all the control that goes with it. The NHLPA is always in pursuit of increasing free agency rights for its members, and surely it should oppose this rule.

The Wonders of CBA Rule 13.23 (or “Antti Miettinen has a Sad”)

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Hey Wally, I hear Ray Bourque is doing some light skating in preparation for his Sunday morning Beer League return. If he decides to make a comeback, would he need to clear waivers too?

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That was an orchestration. Right reads, right places, right times, dimes everywhere. He's so smooth he looks like he's not trying which unfortunately lead to hate because some B's fans can't recognize talent unless their putting people through the boards.
this shift (the Krejci goal) really encapsulates what was so great about him, even down to the fact that most of his teammates on the shift are kind of scrubby players that he's creating glorious chances for. As for your point about how he looks like he's not trying hard, you can see right from the beginning of the play how he separates a guy from the puck and takes control of it. It's not a big hit...it's barely a hit at all, but it's just the right amount of force & leverage to knock the guy off the puck and take it away with complete control. If he had tried to put the guy through the boards, maybe he's unable to control the puck after & the play dies right there.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
In a flat cap world, I don't think a fellow contender wastes space or risk of blowback on a guy who says "I'm not coming to anyone but the Bruins" just to spite or block another contender. A team that's out of it doesn't care and probably prefers to keep their waiver position for a legitimate young guy they can add for the future.

Corey Perry went on waivers last year and Pat Morris (his agent) put word out that he wasn't interested in leaving Montreal-so don't claim him. A guy at 35-36 years old with those career earnings can just walk away and that threat works.

I think if Krejci wants to play in the 2022 NHL playoffs, he'll come back to the Bruins and he'll make it to the roster. If he doesn't want to play in North America, then he won't. I simply don't see waivers as the deterrent.

Krejci also "warned" years ago about how he doesn't care for the 82 game grind but loves the playoffs. I don't feel strongly that he's all done in the NHL. I think he's interested in an extended stay in Czechia and avoiding the 82 game grind and he'll make his mind up about full retirement later.
It has nothing to do with spice and everything to do with keeping your opponent from getting a good player. If you are saying krejci would not report then it would not count against the cap anyway. Comparing Corey Perry to a David krejci pick up is a little bit of a stretch. I hope you are right but I wouldn't hold my breath

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
It has nothing to do with spice and everything to do with keeping your opponent from getting a good player. If you are saying krejci would not report then it would not count against the cap anyway. Comparing Corey Perry to a David krejci pick up is a little bit of a stretch. I hope you are right but I wouldn't hold my breath

Let me be totally clear. I'm not holding my breath, either. I just don't think the waiver issue stops Krejci from joining the Bruins if both Krejci and the Bruins want that.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Let me be totally clear. I'm not holding my breath, either. I just don't think the waiver issue stops Krejci from joining the Bruins if both Krejci and the Bruins want that.

Here's the problem (and fwiw I don't think it will come up as I do not believe he will be back): if he plays in Czech as he said he is going to do, then even if there is no chance in hell that he will play for anyone else, a team like TB or TOR can still put the claim in to prevent him from coming to Boston unless Boston trades for his rights. It's a bit dirty, but it's also good business for a division rival.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Here's the problem (and fwiw I don't think it will come up as I do not believe he will be back): if he plays in Czech as he said he is going to do, then even if there is no chance in hell that he will play for anyone else, a team like TB or TOR can still put the claim in to prevent him from coming to Boston unless Boston trades for his rights. It's a bit dirty, but it's also good business for a division rival.

bingo.
And yes it is.
Not to mention exactly what I’d do.

AND if his rights are to be traded he must pass waivers yet again.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
DK has proven being a character guy... he made his choice and will live by IT. ! He will not come back. That is how I see it, that is what I think DK is! Terrific player, incredible passer but most a great competitor.! I am sad..... really sad. We started the end of an era with Big Z going. Now DK and the next one will be 37! it sucks.... and I am sad! Thought we were going for another one year.... but it might be tougher than expected... and without DK, winning even if done, will be different!

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
bingo.
And yes it is.
Not to mention exactly what I’d do.

AND if his rights are to be traded he must pass waivers yet again.

Well, I would have offer sheeted Cirelli or Sergachev and acquired one of them. But that didn't happen, either. :D
For whatever reason, I don't see too much of that hardball between teams in these situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gee Wally

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It was nice having this 1-2 combo for a decade or so....

Tumblr_l_570241534199916.jpg

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
But why would other teams not select him anyway just to keep the Bruins from getting him? Ain't happening I'm sorry to say.

Essentially I'd think their are ways it would work if he had an intention of returning to The Bruins (and only Bruins) next spring... but I'm in denial.

Teams not wishing to waste their waiver position for a player that won't report. Players might hit waivers that actually might play for them so it could be a bit self-destructive.
Teams not wanting a black-mark for disrespecting a respected 35 year-old veteran. And although I don't completely know how front offices work - you probably don't want to be known as the team that screwed a guy like Krejci over and then tried to sign guys in the off-season.
The Bruins making a deal with a high waiver team and trading him to The Bruins... but that'd have to be pre-deadline.
Teams with high waivers probably aren't in the playoffs anyways so - why bother? It would be petty and vindictive and serve no purpose.

Paramount that it's only The Bruins he'd play for ... with the caveat that I want to stay in a state of delusion and denial that we won't see him again.

Reactions: trenton1

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Kinda feel like Sweeney dropped the ball. Yes it was up to DK and they agreed to wait but they should have made a move just in case this happened.
Personally I think Sweeney knew before it was announced and that's why he signed Haula and Foligno otherwise I think he would've only signed Forbort.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Dont think he will be back. Even if he decides to do so and signs with the Bruins before the trade deadline, he has to go trough waivers if he played the season for another team. If I would be a gm that conntends against the Bruins I would put a claim on him, just that they dont get better. Wouldnt matter for me if Krejci wouldnt play for me or not.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I was convinced he would give it one more shot with Hall returning, which made this decision of his even harder to stomach for me. There aren't many hockey related things that would make me emotional, but your favorite player retiring from your favorite team has to be one of them.
Thank you Krejci for making me a fan of this franchise, for all the memories and wish you nothing but the best going forward. What a career.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
That doesn't make sense, considering he's a Free agent, I mean the Bruins don't own his rights anymore.

the CBA was written,and agreed to, to keep teams from stashing talent overseas until the trade deadline.
Sense or not its the rule.
In regard to ‘upper teams’ would have no reason to claim him if he attempted to come back. I dont know about that. To be eligible he needs to sign and pass by Trade Deadline. Lots of jockeying still going on.

Anyway thems the rules. Dont kill the messanger.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
the CBA was written,and agreed to, to keep teams from stashing talent overseas until the trade deadline.
Sense or not its the rule.
In regard to ‘upper teams’ would have no reason to claim him if he attempted to come back. I dont know about that. To be eligible he needs to sign and pass by Trade Deadline. Lots of jockeying still going on.

Anyway thems the rules. Dont kill the messanger.

kind of takes the Free out of Free Agency

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
kind of takes the Free out of Free Agency

no. He was free and as you can see decided to sign elsewhere during the nhl season.

So, there needs to be rules for that. Protects teams from sand bagging by storing players and at the same time keeps some guy on the nhl roster who was legitimately there.
Its collective bargaining. Therefore both entities agree to to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->