Former Bruins Thank You, David Krejci: Returning To Czech Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
David Krejci’s departure for the Czech Republic leaves a gaping hole for Bruins at No. 2 center - The Boston Globe

Krejci, 35, did not technically retire from the NHL, but noted in a farewell statement that he wants to raise his two kids where he grew up, continue his playing career in front of family and friends, and otherwise enjoy the hockey sunset after years well spent in Black and Gold.

Now comes the angst in patching together the Bruins attack.
Who takes Krejci’s place? There is no obvious, easy answer. Plentiful candidates, yes, including top prospect Jack Studnicka, along with Charlie Coyle, perhaps even newly acquired Nick Foligno or fellow UFA signee Erik Haula.

The term “Playoff Krech, while hardly a myth, did not do justice to the fine work he submitted every year in the months leading to the postseason.
General manager Don Sweeney and coach Bruce Cassidy, both of whom were kept well informed by Krejci that he was leaning toward an exit, at the moment must take the “committee” approach, to use Sweeney’s characterization on Wednesday, in solving the open No. 2 hole.
Coyle has to be considered the likely first candidate, not only for his skill set and pay figure ($5.25M cap hit), but also because he is righthanded, like Krejci, in theory making it easier for him to dish to scoring winger Taylor Hall on the left side.

If Sweeney wants to shop for a more high-profile center, or a defenseman, it appears he’ll have to do that via trade. He won’t deal No. 1 blue liner Charlie McAvoy, which leaves really only left wing Jake DeBrusk and defenseman Brandon Carlo as the roster players potentially the most attractive to bidders.
DeBrusk ($3.675M) and Carlo ($4.1M) also both carry substantial cap hits. Of the two, Sweeney would least want to surrender Carlo, but might be forced into it if a bona fide elite pivot, mid- or late-20s, were to become available.
Keep in mind: Bergeron, now without Krjeci providing Herculean support one spot lower in the order, just turned 36 years old. He also has a combined 1,303 games clocked on the odometer. If someone is dangling a legit big-time center, Sweeney isn’t getting in the bid without Carlo’s name in the mix. Painful, but true.

Chara is gone. Krejci is gone. No telling if Rask ultimately resumes play as a Bruin. The “window of opportunity” to win another Cup with a core framed by the ‘11 win, has not been slammed shut, but by the day it is feeling like a cold and broken hallelujah.
David Krejci has left the building . . . and rebuilding in his absence will not be easy.

Seems to me that Studnicka has a skill set more like Krejci's than Coyle does. He's also a right shot. Studs is where my hope lies.

Also, love the Leonard Cohen reference.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Seems to me that Studnicka has a skill set more like Krejci's than Coyle does. He's also a right shot. Studs is where my hope lies.

Also, love the Leonard Cohen reference.

They drafted him for that purpose and expectation, so time to let it rip and see what he can do. My only concern is whether Bruce will have the patience to let him grow into the role. He has to resist the urge, if Stud has an off night or makes a couple of rookie errors, to bench him in favor of Haula or Coyle on that line. I hope Butch considers that he didn't have very functional second line for a long time even with Krejci because there were no wingers of impact to elevate it. Now the wings are there, so if Stud has some tough moments, which he will, the second line is still in better condition that it was prior to Hall showing up.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
He can't. Once he plays in Europe, he would have to pass through waivers to sign and play here and there is no way, someone else wouldn't claim him.

His agent would just send word, as Corey Perry's did, that he isn't reporting anywhere else so don't even waste your waiver position on it.

The Bruins could also negotiate a small trade ahead of time with a team at the front of the waiver wire.

Waivers or not, I think Krejci re-signs and reports to Boston late in the year.

Reactions: b in vancouver

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So Krejci has to pass through waivers to return if he wanted to come back for the playoffs?

I believe only if he plays for a team in Czech. Tuuka, for example, will not be playing, so if he comes back, no waivers. But honestly, those that are expecting Krejci to come back for the playoffs are going to sorely disappointed methinks. He's done with the NHL in all likelihood and it isn't like he wasn't up front about this day coming sooner rather than later.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
ffs….

CBA section 13.23:

This is Rule 13.23:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

Basically, Rule 13.23 requires that any player who plays in a European professional league during an NHL season must pass through waivers before being allowed to play in the NHL during that season. As a result of this rule, in the case of Miettinen, Nabokov and Wellwood (who all left the KHL midseason), each was picked off waivers. But from the perspective of the interests of the NHL and the NHLPA, the two parties to the CBA, what’s the point of this rule?

Without question this rule is adverse to the goals of the NHLPA, whose purpose is to advocate for the interests of its members. Rule 13.23 adds a powerful element of risk to any team wishing to sign this category of players, inherently making teams less likely to do so. Furthermore, Rule 13.23 denies the player the element of control over where they play. This category of players basically only get to decide whether or not they are willing to sign a particular NHL contract, and then they leave it to Russian Roulette to determine for which team. Without this rule, players who begin a season in a European league and leave such league midseason would simply return to the free agency status they would have had prior to the season, with all the control that goes with it. The NHLPA is always in pursuit of increasing free agency rights for its members, and surely it should oppose this rule.

The Wonders of CBA Rule 13.23 (or “Antti Miettinen has a Sad”)

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
upload_2021-7-31_16-2-16.gif

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
His agent would just send word, as Corey Perry's did, that he isn't reporting anywhere else so don't even waste your waiver position on it.

The Bruins could also negotiate a small trade ahead of time with a team at the front of the waiver wire.

But why would other teams not select him anyway just to keep the Bruins from getting him? Ain't happening I'm sorry to say.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
ffs….

CBA section 13.23:

This is Rule 13.23:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

Basically, Rule 13.23 requires that any player who plays in a European professional league during an NHL season must pass through waivers before being allowed to play in the NHL during that season. As a result of this rule, in the case of Miettinen, Nabokov and Wellwood (who all left the KHL midseason), each was picked off waivers. But from the perspective of the interests of the NHL and the NHLPA, the two parties to the CBA, what’s the point of this rule?

Without question this rule is adverse to the goals of the NHLPA, whose purpose is to advocate for the interests of its members. Rule 13.23 adds a powerful element of risk to any team wishing to sign this category of players, inherently making teams less likely to do so. Furthermore, Rule 13.23 denies the player the element of control over where they play. This category of players basically only get to decide whether or not they are willing to sign a particular NHL contract, and then they leave it to Russian Roulette to determine for which team. Without this rule, players who begin a season in a European league and leave such league midseason would simply return to the free agency status they would have had prior to the season, with all the control that goes with it. The NHLPA is always in pursuit of increasing free agency rights for its members, and surely it should oppose this rule.

The Wonders of CBA Rule 13.23 (or “Antti Miettinen has a Sad”)

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

unless i'm missing some detail this seems pretty cut & dry to me. The only confusion (as mentioned in that reddit thread) seems to be about how exactly this rule applies when the player in question is an RFA attempting to return to the NHL by way of an offer sheet.

For UFAs like Krejci it seems pretty clear that he would have to go through waivers on the way back into the league and then potentially again if another team claims him and then trades him.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
one other observation about the rule is that I think it exists (and benefits the league) in that it prevents teams from doing exactly the sort of thing we'd like to do, which is "stash" a player in Europe for most of the season and then sign them late in the year at a greatly reduced cap impact & then go on a playoff run with them. We all saw Tampa benefit from a similar situation with Kucherov joining them in the playoffs giving them huge cap relief. It's not the same situation, but it's a similar outcome of teams gaming the system. You can certainly debate whether it should be implemented differently or not, but I can see why they did it the way they did.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Doubt it if they are in a bubble again.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Probably my favourite Krejci moment. The poise, the calmness, the vision, the goal. This exemplifies what kind of player he really was.

What a legend.

That was an orchestration. Right reads, right places, right times, dimes everywhere. He's so smooth he looks like he's not trying which unfortunately lead to hate because some B's fans can't recognize talent unless their putting people through the boards.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
But why would other teams not select him anyway just to keep the Bruins from getting him? Ain't happening I'm sorry to say.

In a flat cap world, I don't think a fellow contender wastes space or risk of blowback on a guy who says "I'm not coming to anyone but the Bruins" just to spite or block another contender. A team that's out of it doesn't care and probably prefers to keep their waiver position for a legitimate young guy they can add for the future.

Corey Perry went on waivers last year and Pat Morris (his agent) put word out that he wasn't interested in leaving Montreal-so don't claim him. A guy at 35-36 years old with those career earnings can just walk away and that threat works.

I think if Krejci wants to play in the 2022 NHL playoffs, he'll come back to the Bruins and he'll make it to the roster. If he doesn't want to play in North America, then he won't. I simply don't see waivers as the deterrent.

Krejci also "warned" years ago about how he doesn't care for the 82 game grind but loves the playoffs. I don't feel strongly that he's all done in the NHL. I think he's interested in an extended stay in Czechia and avoiding the 82 game grind and he'll make his mind up about full retirement later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad