OT: Teh Philadelphia Severty Sixers: We're Stil Doing This For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think Simmons legacy in Philadelphia and reputation with the fans rests solely on If he win a championship here
Right now he is a complementary all star player. We have Embiid the superstar....and Harris playing like a star but like Simmons he can't necessarily carry the team when Embiid is out. We saw how horrendous he looked against the double. Harden has been doing that with the Nets when their superstars are out. Ideally if Simmons looks timid and doesn't have an impactful playoffs...definitely think he will continue to try and parlay Simmons. Our window is all contingent on Embiid staying healthy. We saw how tenuous that is with his knee buckle 3 weeks ago...

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think Simmons legacy in Philadelphia and reputation with the fans rests solely on If he win a championship here
TBF, that is about pretty much every athlete in this city. Had the Sixers lost to the Raptors any other way, there would have been so much more attention in him only taking 5 shots. Instead the ball bounced on the rim 4 times and it lost. He would have taken so much more criticism for that loss if that never happened. If he is afraid of his public image, him getting blamed for a potential playoff failure this year could be the thing that makes him more aggressive. I dont think he will ever really shoot the ball, I do think there is potential for him to be much more of a slasher and aggressive instead of being 2 feet from the rim and deciding to pass it to Mike Scott.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Anthony Davis is a complementary all star player. I just don't see that as the negative some do. You don't win an NBA title unless you have one of the ~3 best players on the planet during your run. There's no getting around that. If Embiid's at that level, then maybe they can make a run. If he's not, they won't.

That's also what makes the Nets a completely different animal. They have two routes to someone playing like that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Anthony Davis is a complementary all star player. I just don't see that as the negative some do. You don't win an NBA title unless you have one of the ~3 best players on the planet during your run. There's no getting around that. If Embiid's at that level, then maybe they can make a run. If he's not, they won't.

That's also what makes the Nets a completely different animal. They have two routes to someone playing like that.
AD doesn't have a shooting phobia though...

I mean I get what you are saying but again the frustration is not one of capability but will. He has to get over his mental block and at least get one damn consistent move to his repertoire. He broke out a bit before the road trip but then teams adjusted and he shrunk back to his ole timid too cool for school self. Anyway, at least Doc has him and Embiid playing more complementary than Brown did and that is a big thing.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
TBF, that is about pretty much every athlete in this city. Had the Sixers lost to the Raptors any other way, there would have been so much more attention in him only taking 5 shots. Instead the ball bounced on the rim 4 times and it lost. He would have taken so much more criticism for that loss if that never happened. If he is afraid of his public image, him getting blamed for a potential playoff failure this year could be the thing that makes him more aggressive. I dont think he will ever really shoot the ball, I do think there is potential for him to be much more of a slasher and aggressive instead of being 2 feet from the rim and deciding to pass it to Mike Scott.
I agree to some extent but I think championship-less top end players in Philadelphia are looked on fondly-Giroux, Iverson, Lee, Halladay have a pretty good reputation in the city.I was young for Lindros and LeClair and I remember there being turmoil with Lindros but I think he’s made his way into our good graces.Basically if the 76ers win it all with Ben, he will be seen as frustrating player who was worth it.If they don’t, and Ben is still the same player as now, I think he could be considered a dud or bust

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Classic example: Foles vs McNabb.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
They're still in 1st in the conference and were #1 in Net Rating in the entire NBA during the Embiid injury. What the actual hell is this thread?

I'm disappointed there wasn't a Mike Scott replacement and have significant concerns about the offense, don't get me wrong. But have a little perspective. Jesus.
Wait the guy who tried to put Simmons and Anthony Davis in the same ballpark is talking perspective?
Think critically, youre better than this.

No one's saying blow it up.
I said before the season began I'd consider this season a success if they made the ECF and at this point thats what I expect.
Jo, Tobi, Doc all get 'A' grades from me.
We're saying there's a 6'10" 170 million dollar elephant in the room who's role on the team needs to be addressed before this team legitimately competes.
This team has a higher payroll that the Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Bucks, and Heat. They'd better be 1st in the conference.
Regular season net rating with this core means about as much to me as a 1st half lead.
We had the best net rating in the league with Covington and Dario and the same issue that team had persists with this one.
Despite the changes in philosophy. Despite the improvement of most of the guys on the roster.
Best net rating on a road trip where they beat the Knicks, Kings, Warriors without Steph, Lakers without LeBron/AD and the Cavs?
Where they got blown out by the Nuggets and Clips then come home to get blown out by the Grizzlies?
but Net Rating! Christ.

With Jo in there we're a tough out for anyone but to win the title you need more firepower than what is there currently.
Been saying it since before the season started and I keep saying it because folks dont seem to get it.
MVP candidate. 2 starters shooting 50/40/90. Competent backup C. Reasonably talented bench. Lotta PnR. Simple 2/3 man game concepts that emphasize the size/athleticism advantage of the core.
This is the offense and roster construction I envisioned when Simmons was drafted yet still...
14th in offensive rating and it scales back to 22nd in the halfcourt where 60% of the playoffs is played.
Maybe Jo/Tobi is enough shotmaking at some point in the next couple years where Simmons can play the Draymond role and still win but I doubt.
Likelihood is youve gotta find someone who will bring that tertiary offense before you can get over that final hump.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Wait the guy who tried to put Simmons and Anthony Davis in the same ballpark is talking perspective?
Think critically, youre better than this.

No, that's not what I did. I said neither one of them is good enough to be the best player on a true contender. That's all. The only team that has two of those is Brooklyn.

No one's saying blow it up.
I said before the season began I'd consider this season a success if they made the ECF and at this point thats what I expect.
Jo, Tobi, Doc all get 'A' grades from me.
We're saying there's a 6'10" 170 million dollar elephant in the room who's role on the team needs to be addressed before this team legitimately competes.

Hey, I was fine with moving Simmons for Harden. I'm under no delusion that they're roughly equal to Brooklyn. What I don't want to do is move Simmons for a player that doesn't put you on that tier because it's your last bullet to fire. Once you do that, there's nothing left of significance.

Regular season net rating with this core means about as much to me as a 1st half lead.
We had the best net rating in the league with Covington and Dario and the same issue that team had persists with this one.
Despite the changes in philosophy. Despite the improvement of most of the guys on the roster.
Best net rating on a road trip where they beat the Knicks, Kings, Warriors without Steph, Lakers without LeBron/AD and the Cavs?
Where they got blown out by the Nuggets and Clips then come home to get blown out by the Grizzlies?
but Net Rating! Christ.

Without Embiid. The point is that they looked like a functional team without him which is the first time you could say that since the second half of 2017-18.

With Jo in there we're a tough out for anyone but to win the title you need more firepower than what is there currently.
Been saying it since before the season started and I keep saying it because folks dont seem to get it.
MVP candidate. 2 starters shooting 50/40/90. Competent backup C. Reasonably talented bench. Lotta PnR. Simple 2/3 man game concepts that emphasize the size/athleticism advantage of the core.
This is the offense and roster construction I envisioned when Simmons was drafted yet still...
14th in offensive rating and it scales back to 22nd in the halfcourt where 60% of the playoffs is played.
Maybe Jo/Tobi is enough shotmaking at some point in the next couple years where Simmons can play the Draymond role and still win but I doubt.
Likelihood is youve gotta find someone who will bring that tertiary offense before you can get over that final hump.

Yes, absolutely. I think the Nets are just winning this year and that's all there is to it. I don't think they're as good as Milwaukee or the Lakers, although I think they can beat them in a series. Obviously very different bars. I don't see anyone beating the Nets in a series unless Lebron goes supernova.

We do this every single time Simmons goes through a bad streak. Morey was willing to put him on the table for Harden. Morey's never been afraid to take risks. They're going to see what they look like in the playoffs and go from there because there weren't any other options available that can change this. So instead of going nuts, let's just wait and see what happens then judge them on how they react to what does.

Reactions: DancingPanther

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thing is Simmonds does complement Embiid, there is only one ball, and that can be a problem if all you have are scorers - Harden has negative value if the ball isn't in his hands, Simmons is one of the most valuable players in the league without the ball.

Teams are more than the sum of the talents, they're also about fit and balance. Simmons and Thybelle allow you to play the kind of defense that can turn around games in a heartbeat, but they need shooter to spread the floor. Curry and Green provide that balance this year, but the team would be better if Milton and Korkmaz could give them that quality off the bench. Maxey and Joe aren't ready to do so. Scott is washed up and shouldn't be in any playoff rotation.

The real key for this team is Embiid taking it another level, primarily his recognition of the double/triple team and quickly finding the open guy on the perimeter for the open shot or Embiid resetting in the low post.

Say Hey Kid

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Paul Pierce got fired by ESPN for live streaming strippers and pot smoking at his house. He could have just live streamed privately for his friends and relatives the way I do. ;)

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nets down Harden and Durant vs the Knicks....of course Irving carries them to the win with 40. Harden got injured in the first quarter....calf supposedly.

Check that....hammy

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Reggie Miller needs to stfu....he is nitpicking everything Embiid does good or bad....even talking about Embiid's large knee brace. It is getting annoying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad