LeBrun: Teams interested in Jake Gardiner

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I was more surprised yesterday hearing Edmundson’s same as “out there” from McKenzie. Again, that’s probably another team doing their due diligence on a guy playing well in CAR’s top 4 who’s likely not going to be back in CAR
I understand the current relationship between the two teams, but I could definitely see Montreal being interested in Edmundson.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
One thing I didn't consider before regarding trades was contracts. I "assumed" the Canes would rather move someone like TVR or Fleury because they were pending UFAs/RFAs, but maybe I have it backwards. IF the Canes are looking at a forward that still has term on his deal and/or looking to re-sign a UFA to be as part of the deal, they may feel they need to move out a contract with term on it in order to make it work. In the past, we Canes fans assumed that would be someone like Reimer, but he and Mrazek are both playing very well right now and I don't think the Canes can want to move either guy.

They clearly don't want to move Slavin, Pesce or Hamilton from the D, so (complete speculation here), maybe they'd be looking at this from strictly a cap in / cap out POV?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs spare part and now the Canes spare part. Doubt there is that much interest in Gardiner and it's likely GM's are interested if they can get the Canes to retain and acquire for cheap. Basically, we'll take him off your hands if you give him to us for cheap and you retain.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Leafs spare part and now the Canes spare part. Doubt there is that much interest in Gardiner and it's likely GM's are interested if they can get the Canes to retain and acquire for cheap. Basically, we'll take him off your hands if you give him to us for cheap and you retain.

Probably this.

Gardiner having a down year, playing down on a deep team, on a good deal and has the potential to be a steal if he regains form. Why not see if he could be poached?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I understand the current relationship between the two teams, but I could definitely see Montreal being interested in Edmundson.

If they get the feeling that Romanov is going to stay over in Russia for next year, then yes definitely. Not to say that if he came they'd rule it out, but if he comes over I think they'd go with Chiarot-Mete-Romanov on the left side.

Reactions: Steeler23

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Probably this.

Gardiner having a down year, playing down on a deep team, on a good deal and has the potential to be a steal if he regains form. Why not see if he could be poached?

I always look at this differently. I don't believe in LUCK, but do believe in statistics and the data suggests that Gardiner's numbers will improve over time. Just like Dougie last year. Just like Jordan Staal this year. I see no reason that by the end of the year these guys won't rebound and thus giving them up before the rebound is how you get Rask for Nino type deal.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I always look at this differently. I don't believe in LUCK, but do believe in statistics and the data suggests that Gardiner's numbers will improve over time. Just like Dougie last year. Just like Jordan Staal this year. I see no reason that by the end of the year these guys won't rebound and thus giving them up before the rebound is how you get Rask for Nino type deal.

Maybe a down year is the wrong terminology. I do think he’s could be more effective were he utilized in a different manner, i.e.-with Pesce, but the trade for Edmundson right before camp and his fit with Pesce kinda threw things for a loop. It probably doesn’t help Gardiner that he has a different partner in a new system every 2 games.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He was bad early on, but he's now getting back to where people thought he should be. If he is able to keep playing like he has been over this last stretch, there is no reason to move him. He's finding his place here, and turning things around a bit.

But if someone is going to offer us a hefty sum to acquire him, doesn't mean we won't listen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I bet the soft market for defensemen is more about Buffalo's situation than Carolina's, where they have a lot of dead weight (in terms of salary) in their depth spots. Canes don't actually need to get rid of anybody on their roster. Every single player in our defense corps have been positive contributors.

I think he meant that there are a lot of names out there.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Could have signed him for free. There are UFA bargains out there folks, especially now that RFAs are getting paid.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Im a Garsiner fan and would even be interested in my team getting him, but his value is zero. Down year + all that term will kill any value

Canes will likely have to tske back an expiring contract nd the benefit of the trade will be the long term capspace. Similar to the Ceci for Zaitsev deal this summer

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Im a Garsiner fan and would even be interested in my team getting him, but his value is zero. Down year + all that term will kill any value

Canes will likely have to tske back an expiring contract nd the benefit of the trade will be the long term capspace. Similar to the Ceci for Zaitsev deal this summer

And by the summer, he’s more than likely turned a corner and earning his contract. I think the whole idea he’s “out there” or “available” is a bit of a nothingburger.

He’s started to play well since scoring his 2nd goal a few weeks ago. In the win against COL, he was part of the group of 5 D used by Brind’Amour to spark the late comeback in the 3rd after the bench was shortened, and he’s been pretty good on the 2nd PP unit lately, even if his play is not leading directly to points. He’s qb’ing that unit quite well the past week or so.

A team probably called and asked if they could acquire him for a discount, Waddell probably listened, cause that’s his job, then politely said no thank you. That’s it....at least in my estimation.

Last edited:

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Its a question if Carolina wants forward help or just wants cap space. I think part of this is they want space for Williams and others. I wonder if the Leafs could entice them with a guy like Kapanen or Johnsson, or even some of their younger forwards with promise. The Leafs NEED minute munchers on the blueline moving forward.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
LeBrun has been reporting the Canes were looking to move one of the 3RD platoon (Fleury/van Riemsdyk) for a Top 9 forward. Friedman has mentioned this too, I believe. McKenzie said yesterday that Edmundson and Gardiner were also on the table for that. LeBrun now reports that teams are wondering if Gardiner becomes available. Perhaps Carolina's FO didn't like how yesterday's Gardiner rumor sounded and walked it back today via LeBrun.

I don't understand the prioritization of a Top 9 forward, tbh. At full health, Carolina's lineup looks like:

Niederreiter - Aho - Teravainen
Svechnikov - Staal - Foegele
Dzingel - Haula - Necas
Martinook - Wallmark - McGinn

Forget line numbers, no one is out place. The PP is elevating them to a Top 10 total offense rank; 5v5, they're at the median. However, Haula hasn't played in a month and Staal has underperformed offensively. I'm optimistic that health and a bounceback 2nd half, respectively, can protect against any PP regression if the status quo is maintained.

A Top 6 forward to really strengthen the group makes sense. A 3rd liner doesn't. That's all they're offering would bring back. A rental (Toffoli/Kreider if the market is soft) or rental+1 (Saad/Palmieri) will cost different types of asset, of which Carolina has in volume (they've drafted a ton in recent years and have an extra pick in each of the first 3 rounds this year). Williams would be free.

Maybe it's a cap-driven decision that I'm not seeing right now, but they're on pace to accumulate enough cap space by the deadline to basically do whatever they want.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If they trade him, that would be the second time in two years that Carolina convinced a UFA D-men to sign (at what was perceived as under market value) and then almost immediately trade him.

Carolina is playing NHL 20 in real life. Sign the FAs and trade them for picks. Keep that machine rolling.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
fre.gif

:laugh:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
As long as teams aren't scared of his back. There will a decent market for him around the league. Just don't see Carolina moving him in season. Can see the offseason for sure moving him a year in like de Hann.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad