LeBrun: Teams interested in Jake Gardiner

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Is Carolina making Jake Gardiner available? Wouldn't mind him in a Red Wings jersey for the right price.

The tweet says that teams are asking Carolina about Gardiner due to his usage. Not that he is being shopped. Edmundson has played well in the top-4 next to Pesce. However Edmundson is also a pending UFA while Gardiner has cost-controlled years.

Gardiner struggled a bit early on (and was very unlucky with a PDO near 0.900) but recently he has been very good. He saved the Canes bacon last night on a great crease clear. He's in a bit of a Barrie-like situation where he was slated to run the #1PP unit however Dougie Hamilton has rightfully stolen that show. Let us not forget that Hamilton also struggled early in his Canes tenure. The Canes have the most aggressive system in the league and it takes a while to get used to.

I don't think the Canes would move Gardiner without a meaningful forward coming back.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Would CAR try to extend Edmundson if Gardiner is moved? And then promote Bean?
How is Jake a -17 on one of the better defensive groups in the league?
Who's he been paired with so far?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
If they trade him, that would be the second time in two years that Carolina convinced a UFA D-men to sign (at what was perceived as under market value) and then almost immediately trade him.
fre.gif

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I believe Gardiner mentioned that 3-4 teams had made an offer, perhaps Carolina can deal with one of those teams if they're still interested in him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think this is more like Hamilton last year. Canes were trying to trade a RHD (preferably Faulk) and when Hamilton struggled out of the gate and was on the bottom pairing for the first few months, media and HF jumped on it. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I don't think the Canes are looking to move Gardiner. He had a bit of a rough start, but has been playing pretty well lately. Edmundson is a UFA at season's end, and while he's been playing pretty well, he's not a guy I would want to pony up for longer term.

Re: the two times Canes have done this, they said they were worried about de Hann's shoulder after he had to have shoulder surgery two straight seasons and it looks like maybe they were right, but I agree, if the Canes were to move Gardiner, I would think UFAs would think twice about signing there, but who knows.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I'd rather keep Gardiner. Edmundson has played fairly well, but I wouldn't give him a long term deal unless it's for a low AAV (and why would he sign that).

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
If they trade him, that would be the second time in two years that Carolina convinced a UFA D-men to sign (at what was perceived as under market value) and then almost immediately trade him.
Yeah, that and not being able to get ice-time will start to deter players from signing there.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
geeze Ive totally forgotten about him this season. Crazy the difference in hearing about players when they leave certain markets

Yep....Here's what he (Gardiner) had to say in a recent Athletic interview about the transition from Toronto to Carolina.

“It’s been great,” he said. “Team’s awesome. Weather is great. My wife likes it. Really good guys on the team. It’s been a pretty easy transition, to be honest.

“It is very interesting how, playing in Carolina, it’s basically like the polar opposite (of Toronto’s fan and media environment). If I have a bad game here, you’re not going to hear about it, really. In Toronto, if I scored a hat trick, I’m the best player in the league. If I’m dash three (minus-3) or something, it’s ‘We need to trade this guy.’ It’s very, very opposite.”

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd rather keep Gardiner. Edmundson has played fairly well, but I wouldn't give him a long term deal unless it's for a low AAV (and why would he sign that).

So you'd just keep Edmundson as your own rental and let him walk then? FLA would be interested if he is available but understand if you'd want to keep him.

Who has Gardiner been paired with?

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Any defenseman joining that group would have to know what he’s in for.
Yeah, but I don’t know if they expect to be traded in the 1st year, must be discouraging and leave players wondering “why did I choose Carolina?”

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So you'd just keep Edmundson as your own rental and let him walk then? FLA would be interested if he is available but understand if you'd want to keep him.

Yes. He was basically a throw-in on the Faulk deal. I don't think the return we'd get for Edmundson is worth it. Canes are playing well right now and he's done well in the role he's in.

On top of that, the Canes have a loaded prospect pool, two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds in the upcoming draft so while nice, picks and prospects don't do much for us.

Who has Gardiner been paired with?

Mainly TVR or Fleury.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Gardiner has been bounced around. For 5v5 play he has 146 minutes with Haydn Fleury, 145 minutes with Brett Pesce, and 140 minutes with Trevor Van Riemsdyk.

The main reason Jake is -17 that he has been very unlucky. In any case it isn't about defense:
- Gardiner (-17) has been on the ice for 20 Goals Against (5v5)
- Edmundson (+9) has been on the ice for 21 Goals Against (5v5)
- However Edmundson has been on the ice for 26 Goals For whereas Gardiner has been on the ice for just 8 Goals For
- When Gardiner is on the ice the Hurricanes have shot at a 3.14% shooting % clip
- When Edmundson has been on the ice the Hurricanes have a 9.63% sh%

Hard to make a case that this difference in shooting % is because Edmundson is a better offensive catalyst. Gardiner is already regressing back to the mean. His on-ice shooting % used to be in the 2-3% range.

Last edited:

mbz

Jun 10, 2008
Moncton, NB
I’m no expert but I don’t think its good practice to sign a ufa and try to trade him for assets in his 1st year? Who’s going to want to sign there now?

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
The tweet says "Teams are trying to see if they can pry him away" not "Canes are looking to make a deal with him."
For some reason I doubt that the list of teams to acquire him in a trade isn’t longer than the list of teams that wanted him without trading away assets. Especially with his poor play and back concerns.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, but I don’t know if they expect to be traded in the 1st year, must be discouraging and leave players wondering “why did I choose Carolina?”

So far, they traded 1 guy, because he had two consecutive shoulder surgeries, and so far, it looks like they were right. Again, the tweet says "teams are trying to pry Gardiner", not "Carolina is looking to move Gardiner".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad