LeBrun: Teams interested in Jake Gardiner

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If he is unhappy on the 3rd pair and wants a bigger role elsewhere, it might not hurt the team in the UFA market. Its not like Carolina is any more than a niche location in that market as it is.
The saltiness of chocking away the playoff series is still in you, I see. LOL.

Reactions: Jerkob Slavin

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Ya instead they traded for Ceci.

Listen up Habs fan for the 100 time we traded to get rid of the 5 year boat anchor that was Zaitsev’s contract. Not that we wanted Ceci. Ceci was basically entitled to a slight raise and had arbitration rights so instead of doing that we paid him and it was basically a one year showcase to the TML and the NHL how good or bad he is.

He is terrible and now playing on our third pairing with Dermott who seems to save his bacon more times than not. He will be lucky to get much more than a million per next year. Holl has played better than him.

While we have no D signed long term we have the ability to try and sign Muzzin and Barrie now if we want to. I suspect that neither are signed but we do have some cap flexibility.

Reactions: Metroid and Jeff647

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he is unhappy on the 3rd pair and wants a bigger role elsewhere, it might not hurt the team in the UFA market. Its not like Carolina is any more than a niche location in that market as it is.
What did Jake expect? Slavin is the top LHD. Fleury and Bean are former 1st round picks so will be given chances to succeed in Carolina. He signed a 4 year deal knowing full well top 4 minutes were not guaranteed. If he wanted a prove it contract to show he's recovered from the back injury, he should have taken shorter term.

Somehow the top 3 RHD that he could play with have positive +/- with only TVR as a negative player at -6 and Fleury is -4. Yet, he's -17.

Reactions: txpd

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Listen up Habs fan for the 100 time we traded to get rid of the 5 year boat anchor that was Zaitsev’s contract. Not that we wanted Ceci. Ceci was basically entitled to a slight raise and had arbitration rights so instead of doing that we paid him and it was basically a one year showcase to the TML and the NHL how good or bad he is.

He is terrible and now playing on our third pairing with Dermott who seems to save his bacon more times than not. He will be lucky to get much more than a million per next year. Holl has played better than him.

While we have no D signed long term we have the ability to try and sign Muzzin and Barrie now if we want to. I suspect that neither are signed but we do have some cap flexibility.

February 24: Darren Dreger says there are multiple teams with interest in Cody Ceci.
May 30: Bob McKenzie reports that Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade, suggests that Toronto may need to take a soft return.
June 4th: Rick Dhaliwal reports that the Canucks have checked in on Zaitsev, who is getting a lot of interest around the league.
June 7th: David Pagnotta reports that there has been enough interest in Zaitsev that Toronto will not need to sweeten the pot in order for somebody to take Zaitsev.
June 13th: Darren Dreger reports that both Vancouver and Edmonton have shown interest in Zaitsev.
June 22nd: Kyle Dubas says that the Maple Leafs need a similar player back in exchange for Zaitsev.
Some time before June 24th: Ottawa has the opportunity not to tender a qualifying offer to Ceci, and be rid of his contract for free; instead they qualify him.
June 29th: Toronto and Ottawa make a tentative agreement on the Ceci/Zaitsev trade. Toronto adds Connor Brown to Zaitsev, adding roughly equal value to the package that they pay in exchange for Ceci, Harpur, Luchuk, and a 3rd.
July 4th: Toronto signs Ceci to a one year, $4.5M contract. More than his qualifying offer.

When reviewing this timeline, it is clear that Toronto viewed Ceci as a positive value asset who they paid positive value to acquire.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What did Jake expect? Slavin is the top LHD. Fleury and Bean are former 1st round picks so will be given chances to succeed in Carolina. He signed a 4 year deal knowing full well top 4 minutes were not guaranteed. If he wanted a prove it contract to show he's recovered from the back injury, he should have taken shorter term.

Somehow the top 3 RHD that he could play with have positive +/- with only TVR as a negative player at -6 and Fleury is -4. Yet, he's -17.

I was only commenting on whether trading him would hurt Carolina in future UFA markets and I don't think it would

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
February 24: Darren Dreger says there are multiple teams with interest in Cody Ceci.
May 30: Bob McKenzie reports that Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade, suggests that Toronto may need to take a soft return.
June 4th: Rick Dhaliwal reports that the Canucks have checked in on Zaitsev, who is getting a lot of interest around the league.
June 7th: David Pagnotta reports that there has been enough interest in Zaitsev that Toronto will not need to sweeten the pot in order for somebody to take Zaitsev.
June 13th: Darren Dreger reports that both Vancouver and Edmonton have shown interest in Zaitsev.
June 22nd: Kyle Dubas says that the Maple Leafs need a similar player back in exchange for Zaitsev.
Some time before June 24th: Ottawa has the opportunity not to tender a qualifying offer to Ceci, and be rid of his contract for free; instead they qualify him.
June 29th: Toronto and Ottawa make a tentative agreement on the Ceci/Zaitsev trade. Toronto adds Connor Brown and a 3rd round pick to Zaitsev, adding further value to the package that they pay in exchange for Ceci.
July 4th: Toronto signs Ceci to a one year, $4.5M contract. More than his qualifying offer.

When reviewing this timeline, it is clear that Toronto viewed Ceci as a positive value asset who they paid positive value to acquire.

let me be clear about this the Toronto media and your various other sources can spin this any which way they want to nobody was taking Zaitsev without taking someone back or retaining. Ceci was a one year see how he plays trade.

Most people where absolutely blown away by the fact that no money was retained.

Like I said Ceci will be with some other club next year on their third pairing.

Reactions: shello and DaveG

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
June 29th: Toronto and Ottawa make a tentative agreement on the Ceci/Zaitsev trade. Toronto adds Connor Brown and a 3rd round pick to Zaitsev, adding further value to the package that they pay in exchange for Ceci.

Ottawa added the pick along with Harpur and Luchuk.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
If you are still using +/- and not considering things like PDO, xG, Corsi and other advanced stats... I dont evem know what to say in 2019.

Yes Gardiners plus/minus sucks this year... but if you look at the underlying numbers you see that it is mainly due to bad luck and not poor play.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If you are still using +/- and not considering things like PDO, xG, Corsi and other advanced stats... I dont evem know what to say in 2019.

Yes Gardiners plus/minus sucks this year... but if you look at the underlying numbers you see that it is mainly due to bad luck and not poor play.
Meh, there has been plenty of bad play from Gardiner.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
let me be clear about this the Toronto media and your various other sources can spin this any which way they want to nobody was taking Zaitsev without taking someone back or retaining. Ceci was a one year see how he plays trade.

Most people where absolutely blown away by the fact that no money was retained.

Like I said Ceci will be with some other club next year on their third pairing.

So, not only do you think that Rick Dhaliwal, Darren Dreger, and David Pagnotta were all just lying here, but you also think that Ottawa considered Ceci a negative value asset, but that they still chose to qualify him instead of just letting him walk as a UFA by not qualifying him?

Do you not do logic?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So, not only do you think that Rick Dhaliwal, Darren Dreger, and David Pagnotta were all just lying here, but you also think that Ottawa considered Ceci a negative value asset, but that they still chose to qualify him instead of just letting him walk as a UFA by not qualifying him?

Do you not do logic?

Dreger is the biggest hack in the industry(sorry besides Eklund). I can come up with better insight. He and the rest of the Toronto media just make up stuff. Remember when AM was gonna get 13-14 Million, they are all just click bait.

Allowing a player under team control to walk for nothing more than a bit of a pay increase or Arbitration is not smart asset management. Furthermore it’s not like the Sens has much else going on in that position.

I do logic just not spoon fed garbage from the likes of the people mentioned. Zaitsev held negative value across the league do to the length and dollar amount of his contract. Remember when we traded Phaneuf and his terrible contract everyone was amazed we didn’t have to eat 1-2 million. Same thing with Zaitsev. I will take the one year at a very inflated rate for the flexibility of either resigning the guys we have or starting fresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->