LeBrun: Teams interested in Jake Gardiner

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The tweet says that teams are asking Carolina about Gardiner due to his usage. Not that he is being shopped. Edmundson has played well in the top-4 next to Pesce. However Edmundson is also a pending UFA while Gardiner has cost-controlled years.

Gardiner struggled a bit early on (and was very unlucky with a PDO near 0.900) but recently he has been very good. He saved the Canes bacon last night on a great crease clear. He's in a bit of a Barrie-like situation where he was slated to run the #1PP unit however Dougie Hamilton has rightfully stolen that show. Let us not forget that Hamilton also struggled early in his Canes tenure. The Canes have the most aggressive system in the league and it takes a while to get used to.

I don't think the Canes would move Gardiner without a meaningful forward coming back.

We give the Canes Ferland back for Gardiner?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For some reason I doubt that the list of teams to acquire him in a trade isn’t longer than the list of teams that wanted him without trading away assets. Especially with his poor play and back concerns.

It doesn't change my statement. The tweet doesn't say Carolina is looking to move him. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but that's not what LeBrun is saying.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
So far, they traded 1 guy, because he had two consecutive shoulder surgeries, and so far, it looks like they were right. Again, the tweet says "teams are trying to pry Gardiner", not "Carolina is looking to move Gardiner".
Sports media comes out with this stuff all the time. GMs and agents use media outlets to strengthen their power standing.

I don’t trust the media, nor do I believe that GMs always speak truthfully.

Reactions: DaveG

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
It doesn't change my statement. The tweet doesn't say Carolina is looking to move him. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but that's not what LeBrun is saying.
How would LeBrun know that teams reached out? Are GMs so stupid to create competition for themselves by telling him “hey we want Gardiner because he’s not playing a lot”. Certainly doesn’t make much sense.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Gardiner has been bounced around. For 5v5 play he has 146 minutes with Haydn Fleury, 145 minutes with Brett Pesce, and 140 minutes with Trevor Van Riemsdyk.

The main reason Jake is -17 that he has been very unlucky. In any case it isn't about defense:
- Gardiner has been on the ice for 20 Goals Against (5v5)
- Edmundson has been on the ice for 21 Goals Against (5v5)
- However Edmundson has been on the ice for 26 Goals For whereas Gardiner has been on the ice for just 8 Goals For
- When Gardiner is on the ice the Hurricanes have shot at a 3.14% shooting % clip
- When Edmundson has been on the ice the Hurricanes have a 9.63% sh%

Hard to make a case that this difference in shooting % is because Edmundson is a better offensive catalyst. Gardiner is already regressing back to the mean. His on-ice shooting % used to be in the 2-3% range.

Just to add to this, here is all the Canes defensemen GA/60:

Hamilton: 1.6
Slavin: 1.9
TVR: 2.0
Edmundson: 2.4
Gardiner: 2.5
Pesce: 2.6
Fleury: 3.1

It's not the GA that is driving the +/-.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This thread's going to go off the rails quickly because it's a former Toronto player and it's Carolina. Again, Canes aren't shopping Gardiner, it's just that teams are interested in him because our defense is ridiculously deep. I take that as a good sign of his value.

I'm not sure why it would go off the rails because it's a Carolina player...?

I just went to your board and I got all the intel I need on how he's played so far.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
How would LeBrun know that teams reached out? Are GMs so stupid to create competition for themselves by telling him “hey we want Gardiner because he’s not playing a lot”. Certainly doesn’t make much sense.

GMs, AGMs, and other staffers leak stuff all the time. Journalists make "leaps" based on bits of information all the time. The VAST majority of this information we see from insiders is nothing but smoke and never amounts to anything.

This is similar to Hamilton last year IMO. Canes were trying to move Faulk because they had too many RHD. Hamilton struggled early on in the season and was on the 3rd pairing (come to find out he had an injury to his hand) and the media and HF made all sorts of assumptions and started assuming Hamilton was available, when in reality, he likely never was.

Pretty much anyone is available for the right price so if someone comes in and offers something they feel is worth it, I have no doubts the Canes would trade Gardiner though.

Canes have a good thing going right now so moving a defenseman not named TVR or Fleury seems like a bit of a risk to me, but Waddell/Dundon haven't been conventional so who knows.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yes. He was basically a throw-in on the Faulk deal. I don't think the return we'd get for Edmundson is worth it. Canes are playing well right now and he's done well in the role he's in.

On top of that, the Canes have a loaded prospect pool, two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds in the upcoming draft so while nice, picks and prospects don't do much for us.

Mainly TVR or Fleury.

Gardiner has been bounced around. For 5v5 play he has 146 minutes with Haydn Fleury, 145 minutes with Brett Pesce, and 140 minutes with Trevor Van Riemsdyk.

The main reason Jake is -17 that he has been very unlucky. In any case it isn't about defense:
- Gardiner has been on the ice for 20 Goals Against (5v5)
- Edmundson has been on the ice for 21 Goals Against (5v5)
- However Edmundson has been on the ice for 26 Goals For whereas Gardiner has been on the ice for just 8 Goals For
- When Gardiner is on the ice the Hurricanes have shot at a 3.14% shooting % clip
- When Edmundson has been on the ice the Hurricanes have a 9.63% sh%

Hard to make a case that this difference in shooting % is because Edmundson is a better offensive catalyst. Gardiner is already regressing back to the mean. His on-ice shooting % used to be in the 2-3% range.

I appreciate the detailed replies, been impressed with the moves made by your GM. I'd say you and COL are two teams in really good positions now and long term. How has Gauthier's development gone so far? Wanted him that draft year but Borgstrom has been a decent consolation prize.

Was looking at your GF/G and PP, didn't realize how well you were operating in both categories.
Called you guys a top 5 team in late October on FLA board, just one point behind COL for one of those spots.
This offer may not make as much sense now but just for fun, would this be fair in value?

Edmundson + Foegele for Hoffman?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bob McKenzie also mentioned him last night and a list of six defenseman who are supposedly talked about as available right now. Three Canes (TVR, Gardiner, and I think the third was Faulk?) were mentioned along with three Sabres. He said it is a “soft market” for defensemen right now but didn’t indicate any other teams.

Reactions: DarylO

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

I just went to your board and I got all the intel I need on how he's played so far.

Gardiner's played very well since his gaffe vs. Boston. He's #5 in ice time among Canes D because Edmundson and Pesce have evolved as a pairing into PK Gods here.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

He sucked early on, no question, but in the past 10 games or so, he's been pretty solid. I'd hate for the Canes to give up on him after a rough start to the season. Would have been a disaster if they had done the same with Dougie last year.

EDIT: that said, if the Dundon/Waddell do move him, I'd have a tough time complaining. They've made a bunch of moves that seem like head scratchers on the surface, and most of them have turned out great.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Bob McKenzie also mentioned him last night and a list of six defenseman who are supposedly talked about as available right now. Three Canes (TVR, Gardiner, and I think the third was Faulk?) were mentioned along with three Sabres. He said it is a “soft market” for defensemen right now but didn’t indicate any other teams.

He mentioned Edmunson. (Faulk is in STL).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I bet the soft market for defensemen is more about Buffalo's situation than Carolina's, where they have a lot of dead weight (in terms of salary) in their depth spots. Canes don't actually need to get rid of anybody on their roster. Every single player in our defense corps have been positive contributors.

Reactions: Tryamw

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
The tweet says that teams are asking Carolina about Gardiner due to his usage. Not that he is being shopped. Edmundson has played well in the top-4 next to Pesce. However Edmundson is also a pending UFA while Gardiner has cost-controlled years.

Gardiner struggled a bit early on (and was very unlucky with a PDO near 0.900) but recently he has been very good. He saved the Canes bacon last night on a great crease clear. He's in a bit of a Barrie-like situation where he was slated to run the #1PP unit however Dougie Hamilton has rightfully stolen that show. Let us not forget that Hamilton also struggled early in his Canes tenure. The Canes have the most aggressive system in the league and it takes a while to get used to.

I don't think the Canes would move Gardiner without a meaningful forward coming back.

Even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Would UFAs sign in Carolina anymore if they traded Jake? First CdH after 1 season and Jake after a partial season. I don’t see it.

Beat me to it, if I was a UFA I would be a bit turned off seeing them do the same thing 2 times to 2 UFAs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad