LeBrun: Teams interested in Jake Gardiner

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Definitely calling BS on anybody being interested in Gardiner. He's horrible, and the contract Carolina signed him to is an abortion.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
8 points and minus 17 in 36 games doesn't scream a ton of trade value.

Thankfully nhl GMs aren’t stupid and understand that Gardiner has been unlucky as f*** and are just trying to get him when his value is the lowest.

0235C15A-0F5C-4046-9BBF-FA4DDE118D8A.png

When there is such a huge difference between someone’s expected and actual goals for it really makes you think.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If they trade him, that would be the second time in two years that Carolina convinced a UFA D-men to sign (at what was perceived as under market value) and then almost immediately trade him.
And who says strategies from nhl 20 aren’t applicable in the real world?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Hard to believe that his play has increased interest in him beyond the 3 teams that were reportedly interested in him during the summer.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Definitely calling BS on anybody being interested in Gardiner. He's horrible, and the contract Carolina signed him to is an abortion.

I'd rather pay Gardiner $4M than give Skinner an 8 year, $72M contract with a full NMC, pay Ristolainen $5.4M, pay Bogosian at $5.1M, or pay Colin Miller at $3.9M. After a rough start, Gardiner has actually been pretty decent so I'd rather they'd keep him, at least for a while, anyhow.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Gardiner is a 3rd pairing d man with pp skils who I want nowhere near the ice when the other team's 1st line is on. Can you find someone to take off your hands for free maybe. If you retain 25% and deal is 3m a year? Sure. But if you are expecting a middle 6 forward good luck with that.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Thankfully nhl GMs aren’t stupid and understand that Gardiner has been unlucky as **** and are just trying to get him when his value is the lowest.

View attachment 295777

When there is such a huge difference between someone’s expected and actual goals for it really makes you think.

close to -3 standard deviations below the mean??? Is that for real? That is unbelievably unlucky. Anyone with a brain can see he's one of the most unlucky players in league for GF/60.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
He took a lot of abuse from Leaf fans.. But no where the amount he took on the mains here.

He was boo'd, once, after having a heavy hand in costing us back to back game 7's and not learning from his mistakes by repeating them. In spite of that he still had far more supporters than not.

This is the guy who most Leafs fans praised as a defensive god when Corsi was a new thing to the NHL, which resulted in an article that basically called him an all star level D based on his possession numbers alone.

He's spent most of his career being unfairly praised because the advanced stats kids think the eye-test is primitive.

He's been coddled for the most part, not hated.

Reactions: Sojourn

Cotton

May 13, 2013
yes leafs fans in general have a hard time understanding defense in general

Your "top 10 D in the league" is a dash 19 with negative possession on a playoffs bound team with a positive goal differential.

Keep on keeping on Dopey.

Thankfully nhl GMs aren’t stupid and understand that Gardiner has been unlucky as **** and are just trying to get him when his value is the lowest.

Riiiight, so he held out on signing for 4M because teams were beating his door down.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He looks like a shell of his former self following his back injury. He’s admitted in interviews that medical experts had suggested surgery as a viable option but opted to go with traditional rehabilitation. I can’t help but wonder if the surgery would have been helpful, but I understand it’s not a decision to be taken lightly. Hopefully he can put it all back together.

He’s also better than his stats are currently indicating.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Would UFAs sign in Carolina anymore if they traded Jake? First CdH after 1 season and Jake after a partial season. I don’t see it.

If he is unhappy on the 3rd pair and wants a bigger role elsewhere, it might not hurt the team in the UFA market. Its not like Carolina is any more than a niche location in that market as it is.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The tweet says that teams are asking Carolina about Gardiner due to his usage. Not that he is being shopped. Edmundson has played well in the top-4 next to Pesce. However Edmundson is also a pending UFA while Gardiner has cost-controlled years.

Gardiner struggled a bit early on (and was very unlucky with a PDO near 0.900) but recently he has been very good. He saved the Canes bacon last night on a great crease clear. He's in a bit of a Barrie-like situation where he was slated to run the #1PP unit however Dougie Hamilton has rightfully stolen that show. Let us not forget that Hamilton also struggled early in his Canes tenure. The Canes have the most aggressive system in the league and it takes a while to get used to.

I don't think the Canes would move Gardiner without a meaningful forward coming back.

So you're saying the -17 is misleading?

Edit: Never mind, you answered above.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'd rather pay Gardiner $4M than give Skinner an 8 year, $72M contract with a full NMC, pay Ristolainen $5.4M, pay Bogosian at $5.1M, or pay Colin Miller at $3.9M. After a rough start, Gardiner has actually been pretty decent so I'd rather they'd keep him, at least for a while, anyhow.

Risto has been decent now that he’s not deployed 26 minutes a night. Still has his bone headed plays tho. Like every dman does. And thankfully that Bogo contract expires. The Miller contract, well that’s not on Botterill and is fine. It’s equal to Gardiners in that’s fair for a 4/5 dman.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

View attachment 295777

It makes me think his back is toast and he's not the same player anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad